If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

best way to weld exhaust pipe

This is a discussion on best way to weld exhaust pipe within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; What is the best way? We have a lincoln 215 mig welder and it will weld thin metal but I ...

best way to weld exhaust pipe

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    What is the best way? We have a lincoln 215 mig welder and it will weld thin metal but I am not comfortable welding thin metal without burning the ocassional hole. I have always been told new bailing wire and a brassing tip works great. Which method is best? I do plan on using some fairly heavy gauge tubing, probably twice as thick as the stock replacement chit on there now.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

05 GTO upgrade.

Re: best way to weld exhaust pipe

Do this. Grab a oxy/acet torch and heat the pipe up to a cherry red in the area that you are going to weld. Doing so will clean the metal perfectly that you are about to weld. I didn't do this and let me tell you the welds look like chit but held. It took me about 2 hours to put 2 flowmaster mufflers on. I was too busy filling holes because the metal would not stick.
    1991 C1500 Ext. Scrapped. I still have the engine, tranny and Detroit tru-trac.
    2005 GTO LS2 with full Pedders track II suspension. StreetsweeperHT cam with Kooks exhaust. Tuned.

Does that mean use the mig or the bailing wire method?
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

most unique username

I think he's implying that he mig'd it. He used the torch to burn off the protective coating and oils left behind from the manufacturing process.
    I've welded regular pipe (cant remember what the guage is) with my small Hobart unit with no probs - jsut stuck pipe together and welded. Of course I was on the lowest voltage setting running small wire. If you are using thicker pipe I dont see why you'd have trouble, but you could try some practice passes on some scrap to see how the welds turn out.

If you've never welded exhaust tube before you will blow thru the first time, I did it, I still blow thru occasionally. It's not too hard to fix a hole in the pipe, they have copper 'spoons' that will allow you to weld right over the hole, although if it's in the middle of the pipe, it will be a bitch to get too with a spoon. I used a standard wire brush to clean the pipe, no torch. Have you welded before??
    "I LIKE TO HAVE MY NIPPLES PINCHED WHEN I'M GETTING SCREWED!"

Just take your time. My buddy is a great fabricator and anytime he welds thin pipe, he spot welds it. Just tack it, then run your bead around. But pause every one or two seconds to let it cool a little, then repeat. He does it and has the temp setting around 3 out of 5 and doesn't ever burn through.
    2012 3500HD
    2011 Tundra
    1979 Bronco
    1988 Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by bradz71
    Just take your time. My buddy is a great fabricator and anytime he welds thin pipe, he spot welds it. Just tack it, then run your bead around. But pause every one or two seconds to let it cool a little, then repeat. He does it and has the temp setting around 3 out of 5 and doesn't ever burn through.

i didn't have any holes with the camaro, mainly because i took it nice and slow.
    Selling a front Chevy Dana 60, 5.38s welded, $1000 never run, PM for more
    1992 K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel/4L80e/4.10s (sas with Dana 60 just sitting around waiting for a rainy day)
    '84 K10, 6" Tuff Country, now 1 ton frame swap and Cummins swap have begun
    Veteran of Afghanistan (Army SGT)

Quote Originally Posted by vic_V8
    i didn't have any holes with the camaro, mainly because i took it nice and slow.

Personal Responsibility GO GET SOME!

05 GTO upgrade.

I was welding on 8 year old pipe with over 200k on the motor. And yes I Miged it.
    1991 C1500 Ext. Scrapped. I still have the engine, tranny and Detroit tru-trac.
    2005 GTO LS2 with full Pedders track II suspension. StreetsweeperHT cam with Kooks exhaust. Tuned.

like said b4. tack weld it in a few places then run a 2 inch or so bead stop for about 10 seconds and give it just enough overlap to cover the end of the last weld. just take it slow and you might go to an exhaust shop and ask for some scrap pipe that you could maybe practice on...
    2004 Chevy Sliverado 2500HD, 285/75/16 sport king A/T, Predator, dual orig. 40's outh the corners,K&N drop-in, tint matched front and more to come.

!FOR SALE!
    Taking offers

Yes I have done a lot of welding in the last few years but its all been on 1/8 inch and thicker material. I've got some thin sheet metal scraps I can practice on to get the hang of things. All I was wondering is which is the prefered method to use and it sounds like mig is the way to go. Thanks for your help guys.