GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Magnaflow = wow

This is a discussion on Magnaflow = wow within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; Just got the new Magnaflow on last Friday. Am very impressed with the sound. Can't say much about performance, I ...

Magnaflow = wow

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Just got the new Magnaflow on last Friday. Am very impressed with the sound. Can't say much about performance, I didn't really notice any difference to be honest, and my mileage wasn't affected either (actually lost some because of the coincidental switch this week to winter blend fuel). But DAMN, the sound. The factory system was 3" DI/DO, so I just replaced it with a 18" body 24" overall 3" DI/DO, coming to a y-pipe right before the exit. Almost unnoticeable at cruise which is nice, but nice low rumble at idle and sweet ass growl and no nasty cackle on acceleration. Definitely recommend Magnaflow to anyone wanting a nice throaty rumbling exhaust without being too obnoxious.
    Current damage:
    '05 2500HD RCLB: 6.0, NV4500, np261
    '95 G30 van w/6.5
    '87 K5: 305, 700r4, np208, 10b f/r
    '68 c20: 350, sm465

Re: Magnaflow = wow

75-K5, I agree with your conclusion on the Magnaflow muffler. I just installed a 7" round 14" body universal muffler on my '01. I love the sound, and like you, I haven't noticed any performance gains yet. I am sure my mpg will drop as now it seems that my right foot is tied directly to the new sound of my truck.
    2001 Silverado Z-71 LT 5.3 ECSB, K&N Filter, 3" Magnaflow Universal, Wait4Me 87/89

1998 Honda Superhawk (For Sale)

2002 Nissian Maxima GLE

how does it sound if you just replace the muffler? I don't care for performance gains or anything ( i have a different truck for that) I just want something to sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by aqrhine
    how does it sound if you just replace the muffler? I don't care for performance gains or anything ( i have a different truck for that) I just want something to sound better.
    IT WILL SOUND A LOT BETTER THAN THE STOCK MUFFLER AND YOU SHOULD GAIN A LITTLE PERFORMANCE DUE TO THE STRAIGHT THROUGH DESIGN.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

I wouldn't expect a muffler swap to make much of a seat of the pants differnece in power, maybe a slight increase in crusing gas mileage though. My complete new exhaust from the heads yes heads back made a world of difference in power. The NBS exhaust setup flows pretty well except for the muffler IMO.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Josh

i love my magnaflow. i have a single 3" to the muffler and i think its like 18-24 inches long, i'm not real sure, but then its dual out to some 3.5X24" echo tips. it sounds real good with my 383. it sounded pretty cherry without the 383 though. i need to get some headers and true duals to really open up it up, but i don't have any money. the only thing is that its almost deafening in the cab pulling a trailer. but thats ok.
    89 K2500 w/ 383. TBI 383 w/ all the goodies. Dick Cepek 305/70s, 3" BL, 4.10s, EBL tuned by ME. Magnaflow exhaust....5" tips.

Quote Originally Posted by 75-K5
    Just got the new Magnaflow on last Friday. Am very impressed with the sound. Can't say much about performance, I didn't really notice any difference to be honest, and my mileage wasn't affected either (actually lost some because of the coincidental switch this week to winter blend fuel). But DAMN, the sound. The factory system was 3" DI/DO, so I just replaced it with a 18" body 24" overall 3" DI/DO, coming to a y-pipe right before the exit. Almost unnoticeable at cruise which is nice, but nice low rumble at idle and sweet ass growl and no nasty cackle on acceleration. Definitely recommend Magnaflow to anyone wanting a nice throaty rumbling exhaust without being too obnoxious.
    I also agree. I went with the Magnaflow because I got a chance to drive a friends truck with the same exhaust. I love the deeper sound, but it doesn't drown your ears at highway speeds like some others. A week later I added the Airaid Intake with the tube and the truck got a little louder yet. Performance felt stronger but then I went up to 285/75/16 BFGs(and my new Z71 came with 245's stock). Now my truck feels "seat of the pants" like it did before the mods, but looks much better, and sounds great.

Definitely recommend Magnaflow to anyone wanting a nice throaty rumbling exhaust without being too obnoxious.
    I AGREE! What a sweet sound! I couldn't be happier. The sound is soo deep, and clean! NO cackle or popping!
    2005 Silverado CREW CAB, 5.3 V8 3.73 Gears

Do you have any part numbers for the new muffler you got and how much did it cost you? I got a quote for $98 installed, is that good?

I don't recall the part number but it is a 3" DI/DO, 18" body 24" overall length muffler. $98 installed is a very good quote if your muffler was the same as mine. That's almost exactly what I paid.
    Current damage:
    '05 2500HD RCLB: 6.0, NV4500, np261
    '95 G30 van w/6.5
    '87 K5: 305, 700r4, np208, 10b f/r
    '68 c20: 350, sm465

It is a single in and single out muffler, 2.5 inlet. Now I just need to decide about the tips, If I should put some on or leave it stock. Whats your suggestion?

I'd Buy That For A Dollar indiglo5997's Avatar

Definitely recommend Magnaflow to anyone wanting a nice throaty rumbling exhaust without being too obnoxious.