***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Installing shorties on 1994 K1500 TBI 350

This is a discussion on Installing shorties on 1994 K1500 TBI 350 within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; Guys, I ordered up a set of cheap shorty style headers for my K1500 the other day and they're due ...

Installing shorties on 1994 K1500 TBI 350

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Guys, I ordered up a set of cheap shorty style headers for my K1500 the other day and they're due in tomorrow. Is there anything I should do while I have the manifolds/headers off?

The o2 is a few months old so I'm just swapping that over. I plan on getting header wrap and wrapping them since they're just cheap black powder coated ones, not expensive stainless or ceramic coated. Can I wrap them after they're on or should I wait? I really want to get them on in the warm weather but by the time the wrap comes in, it'll be cold again. I plan on never seizing the bolts so they can easily be tightened in the future. Right now I'm going with the gaskets that are included but I suspect I'll need to go with copper gaskets eventually, though they do have 3/8" flanges.

Opinions are appreciated.

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Re: Installing shorties on 1994 K1500 TBI 350

Spray the monifold and flange bolts with PB Blaster or something similiar to help on the removal.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

Do NOT wrap them, they will rot out MUCH faster.
    2015 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...t-7th-9th.html

If I don't wrap them, won't it be too hot under the hood (melting wires, etc)?

Also, when you say they rot out quicker, do you mean months, years, several years? I'm only planning on keeping the truck 1-2 more years...if it means cooler under hood temps, is it worth doing even if they rot?

The wrap I'm looking at has some preservative in the wrap to somehow seal the headers and keep them from rusting. Not sure if its a scam or what.

THE WRAP REALLY WON'T help underhood temps. that much. And the un-wrapped pipes won't melt anything.

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CKTA
    THE WRAP REALLY WON'T help underhood temps. that much. And the un-wrapped pipes won't melt anything.

Just keep the wires away from them.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

You guys have been down that road so I appreciate you steering me away from crap thats useless. The wrap would have been $50 so I'll set that aside for a high flow cat or towards a new exhaust system to match the headers.

Thanks!!!!

DBG

Hopefully you won't have to deal with it, but when I got my cheap shorties I ended up having to have the factory y-pipe narrowed just a bit so everything would line up. You'll find out once you get them installed and try to hook up the y-pipe. A muffler shop won't charge much to make a small change like that.

Darren
    89 RCSB Dana 60/14 Bolt 4-lnk frnt/rr, 39.5's/14" Welds, 5.13, Truetrac/Detroit, AEM Intake, Holley 670 TBI, Holley Mnfld, Shorties, 40 series, no cat. 98 2wd 355, lt4 hotcam, 1.6 rllr rckrs

Project Pics:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/366426764ygYniE

Darren, thanks for the info and I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I specifically bought a set that said that they bolt right up to your stock Y pipe without modification. However, I have heard of fitment issues on many trucks/cars with headers.

I do have a wire feed and also an arc welder and I was thinking of trying to modify the Y pipe myself if necessary. Worst case, I screw it up and have to install a complete header back setup with new y pipe (or dual cats and pipes). I'm really hoping this is a simple unbolt and re-bolt process....I don't prefer to get into cutting and welding.

If I had wanted to do all sorts of modifications, I would have bought longtubes

Ok, the shorties have arrived....and sure as $hit the directions say that you need to bolt them up and then cut your factory Y-pipe and reweld it. WTF? Why do they say it will fit a stock Y pipe, if it won't? This pisses me off a little. I specifically looked around for a set that said they would fit without modifications.....Now I need to check JC whitney or elsewhere online and see about doing a true dual setup since I have to do cutting and welding already.

What brand of headers are they?

i got a set of shorties from summit and they bolted up fine to the stock y-pipe so u sould have no prob

They're ebay shorties....not sure what design/brand was copied....but they do have nice 3/8"flanges and 3" collectors....I also need to drill out the O2 bung since the bung was welded on but not drilled out for the O2!

This is the set that I picked up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Anyone have experience making their own Y pipe? I'm seriously considering making a larger y pipe since there is a good chance that this one will end up being hacked anyway. I wonder if I can just buy a few 45 and 90 deg bends and make something up or if that will work....

Quote Originally Posted by billdog350
    They're ebay shorties....not sure what design/brand was copied....but they do have nice 3/8"flanges and 3" collectors....I also need to drill out the O2 bung since the bung was welded on but not drilled out for the O2!

This is the set that I picked up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
    Ya...I can tell by looking at them...not direct fit. Those are considered medium length headers. These are direct-fit shorties.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So, should I try to fab something or just sell these and look for "true" shortys? I know longtubes are a totally different animal, and I'm not looking for top rpm power as much as low to mid punch which shorty/mids are supposed to provide.

My big concern is that I don't want an exhaust project that lasts several days or costs me tons of money in custom Y-pipe.....

Last time I put headers on my 1985 firebird, I had the same problem with "mid vs shorty" headers even though they claimed to bolt up to the stock y-pipe. By the time the Y was welded by a muffler shop, I could have paid for true longtubes!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...spagenameZWDVW

I'm taking a gamble. I looked online and my headers look IDENTICAL to the Flowtech 11504 headers. They make a y-pipe specifically for these headers. Rather than screw around and worry about paying $50-150 to have someone weld up a solution, I just ordered the official y-pipe online for $120. Hopefully these should bolt up and I should be set.