If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

how do you know when a muffler has gone bad?

This is a discussion on how do you know when a muffler has gone bad? within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; I have had this annoying problem with my truck for about 2 wks now. when i am driving at whatever ...

how do you know when a muffler has gone bad?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have had this annoying problem with my truck for about 2 wks now. when i am driving at whatever speed the truck sounds fine. when i take my foot off of the pedal i hear this kind of sputtering sound coming from the exhaust. i have flowmaster 40's so of course i also feel it in the cab. could this be the problem or is it engine related? any help is greatly appreciated.
    91 chevy silverado
    350 crate engine
    40 flowmaster delta flow

Re: how do you know when a muffler has gone bad?

My truck does the same thing. I don't believe anything is wrong. I think it's just the change in pressure inside the pipe and muffler and the enging slowing down. HOWEVER if it is a problem, i sure as hell would like to know about it.
    2005 5.3L Silverado 1500 Z71
    Current Mods: K&N CAI, VaraRam Velocity Stack, Flowmaster 50 Series Muffler, Wait4Me Tune
    Future Mods: PaceSetter Long Tube Headers

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Re: how do you know when a muffler has gone bad?

Look around the exhaust to see if you see any black soot around seams. Or a hole in the muffler.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006