GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Best exhaust for MPG

This is a discussion on Best exhaust for MPG within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; I'm debating an exhaust on my truck. I put on a Airaid MIT and K&N filter. I'm basically trying to ...

Best exhaust for MPG

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I'm debating an exhaust on my truck. I put on a Airaid MIT and K&N filter. I'm basically trying to get the best MPG I can with just the intake setup and exhaust. Right now my exhaust is stock. To get the best MPG should I: leave exhaust stock, splice in a different muffler, splice in a different muffler and dump it, or put on a cat-back system?

I'm working on a pretty tight budget with this so I'm trying to get the best setup for as little money as possible. I considered putting on a Dynomax cat-back system, only cost me about $280. That'll take a little bit of money saving to afford though.

Also considered getting a Cherry Bomb glass pack spliced in, but the guys at the muffler shop said if it has 3" exhaust, they can't find any glass packs that are offset with 3" ins and outs.

Could splice in a vortex or turbo muffler, but I have no idea what to go with.

I had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a K&N 57 Series FIPK and a Borla Stainless Steel Cat-back Exhaust and I got about 20mpg with that setup. I had gotten 17mpg before doing that. I unfortunately do not have the money for a $500 exhaust now with a truck payment.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 5.3L AT 4WD ECSB
    AirAid MIT
    K&N Drop-in Filter
    Corsa dB SI/SO Cat-back Exhaust
    AVS In Channel Vent Visors

Re: Best exhaust for MPG

The truck in the sig gets a steady 19.5 MPG 60/40 leadfoot city highway. All I did to my exhaust was take out a bend, replace the muffler with a Magnaflow 14", and added an 18" tip.

Mine: '04 CTS-V | Poly Everywhere | LS7 clutch | Square 245/45R18 General AS-03's
    Hers: '02 Tahoe Limited | LM7 | G80 | GT4 | 265/75R16 BIG-O AT | Lots of leather and girly stuff

Quote Originally Posted by randeez View Post
    he's got real problems, you think choosing which leather to rewrap in interior is easy?

I heard that dumping the exhaust decreases your MPG. Dont know if it's true but its what I've heard.

1995 350 "Tool Box Injection"
    Going 4/6 with 20" Billet Specialties

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

You would have to have a fairly clogged exhaust for it to net any sort of mileage increase. Opening up the exhaust will allow the engine to breath better and may help with a little power, but don't expect any mileage increase. If I gained 1 mpg with the headers and exhaust work, that would be stretching it some.

Full size trucks and better MPG are a hard combo to get. Just try and keep it from going down is the best answer. Go easy on that right foot is the best method.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

If your buying it strickly for mileage, then pass. But.. best chances of getting better mileage would come from Borla, Corsa, and Magnflow.

The stock exhaust doesn't flow all that bad. Most people buy Cat backs more for the sound than performance.

Steven

2007 GMC Sierra SLT Vmax 4.10 gears, Boss MT100 20x8.5 wheels/Cooper Zeon LTZ tires, Extang Bed cover,
    GMC Bedrug, Line of Fire, Denali Grill, GM Performance Intake, Corsa Sport Dual Exhaust, and DiabloSport Predator.

Quote Originally Posted by 1996Silverado
    You would have to have a fairly clogged exhaust for it to net any sort of mileage increase. Opening up the exhaust will allow the engine to breath better and may help with a little power, but don't expect any mileage increase. If I gained 1 mpg with the headers and exhaust work, that would be stretching it some.

Full size trucks and better MPG are a hard combo to get. Just try and keep it from going down is the best answer. Go easy on that right foot is the best method.
    There's your best answer. If you're driving for mileage, ie. low power levels, then there is not a single thing you can do to the exhaust system on the newer trucks like yours that will pay for itself with better fuel economy. Exhaust flow capacity upgrades are warranted only if you're increasing the airflow (horsepower) of the engine significantly or desiring a minimal power increse at full throttle with the stock engine ..........and operating in that mode is mutually exclusive of anything to do with fuel mileage ;)
    '98 XCSB, ZZ4 cam, Tri-Y's, Yank SS3600 TC
    PCMFORLESS.COM 87 octane tune
    14.30 @ 92.2 on motor
    13.47 @ 99.2 w/ a 50 dry shot

'96 ImpalaSS
    10.98 @ 122 NA, 10.35 @ 128 on a 100 shot
    stock bottom LT1

Alright, I'll just leave the exhaust stock, and be content with my Airaid tube/K&N filter intake. Thanks!
    2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 5.3L AT 4WD ECSB
    AirAid MIT
    K&N Drop-in Filter
    Corsa dB SI/SO Cat-back Exhaust
    AVS In Channel Vent Visors

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCharisma
    The truck in the sig gets a steady 19.5 MPG 60/40 leadfoot city highway. All I did to my exhaust was take out a bend, replace the muffler with a Magnaflow 14", and added an 18" tip.
    that's pretty good. I'm trying to do the same thing to the truck in my sig.

I ordered the True Flow air filter. I want to replace the stock muffler with a Magnaflow 5x11x22

and I want to get Justin's tune, 87 octane.

What Wait4Me tune did you get?
    2003 Silverado Z-71 ecsb, 5.3L, 3.73, 265/75/16 Mastercraft Coursier AT2; Magnaflow 3" SI/SO Cat Back(p/n15778), Blackbear tune... Truck drive's better but my MPG went down slighlty w/ the same driving habits. Justin to the rescue! Stay tuned... no pun intended.

Don't go with W4M. To many service problems.

Go with GoWheatley.com or NelsonPerformance.com

Both are outstanding and CAN tune for max mileage.
    Steven

2007 GMC Sierra SLT Vmax 4.10 gears, Boss MT100 20x8.5 wheels/Cooper Zeon LTZ tires, Extang Bed cover,
    GMC Bedrug, Line of Fire, Denali Grill, GM Performance Intake, Corsa Sport Dual Exhaust, and DiabloSport Predator.

This is a little off subject.. But here's some gas saving info--> http://www.stylintrucks.com/Articles...s/article.aspx

I would have opted to alter the exhaust before wasting a lot more money on those snake oil intake snorkels.

Dynomax super turbo would be a good splice in muffler setup to complement what you already have without breaking the budget by any means.

Speaking of Jeeps... we have one in the family with 137,000 miles, it's a 97 Grand Cherokee TSI with the V8 and all we did was replace the rotted stock cat-back system with a cheap Dynomax Super Turbo system and it went from 17 mpg highway to 21. For whatever reason those Jeeps respond well to the cat-back systems. Our trucks are just too heavy and PCM limited to notice much of a difference.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaks
    I would have opted to alter the exhaust before wasting a lot more money on those snake oil intake snorkels.

Dynomax super turbo would be a good splice in muffler setup to complement what you already have without breaking the budget by any means.

Speaking of Jeeps... we have one in the family with 137,000 miles, it's a 97 Grand Cherokee TSI with the V8 and all we did was replace the rotted stock cat-back system with a cheap Dynomax Super Turbo system and it went from 17 mpg highway to 21. For whatever reason those Jeeps respond well to the cat-back systems. Our trucks are just too heavy and PCM limited to notice much of a difference.
    The True Flow replacement filter was only $38 with a lifetime warranty.

It's not a CAI system.
    2003 Silverado Z-71 ecsb, 5.3L, 3.73, 265/75/16 Mastercraft Coursier AT2; Magnaflow 3" SI/SO Cat Back(p/n15778), Blackbear tune... Truck drive's better but my MPG went down slighlty w/ the same driving habits. Justin to the rescue! Stay tuned... no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by beatle78
    that's pretty good. I'm trying to do the same thing to the truck in my sig.

I ordered the True Flow air filter. I want to replace the stock muffler with a Magnaflow 5x11x22

and I want to get Justin's tune, 87 octane.

What Wait4Me tune did you get?
    I wouldn't recommend Wait4Me. Communication issues, long waiting period, he didn't even ship a sheet describing what had been performed. No receipt. I would go with a different tuner if I had to do it all over again.
    Last edited by DarkCharisma; 07-01-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Mine: '04 CTS-V | Poly Everywhere | LS7 clutch | Square 245/45R18 General AS-03's
    Hers: '02 Tahoe Limited | LM7 | G80 | GT4 | 265/75R16 BIG-O AT | Lots of leather and girly stuff

Quote Originally Posted by randeez View Post
    he's got real problems, you think choosing which leather to rewrap in interior is easy?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCharisma
    I wouldn't recommend Wait4Me. Communication issues, long waiting period, he didn't even ship a sheet describing what had been performed. No receipt. I would go with a different tuner if I had to do it all over again.
    Thanks. I have sent a few e-mail back and forth with Justin at black bear performance. I was very impressed and with my laptop and I don't have to go to the dealer for the crank relearn!

p.s. I asked Justin what he recommended I do for mods before I get his 87 octane better MPG tune and he recommended a chamberless muffler. I asked him about Magnaflow and he said that is what he is running in both of his GMs...