GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shorty headers vs stock manifolds

This is a discussion on Shorty headers vs stock manifolds within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; Okay I have been reading and reading for some time now. And my qeustion basically is this: Do or Are ...

Shorty headers vs stock manifolds

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Okay I have been reading and reading for some time now. And my qeustion basically is this:
    Do or Are Shorty Headers better than the stock manifolds on a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 in it?

LaissezLesBonTempsRouler shakesvho's Avatar

Re: Shorty headers vs stock manifolds

long tube is the best way to go for power
    DD: 2008 TB LS/LT Nose Job
    Garage Queen: 2005 Blown/Cam/LT/2600/500+ RWHP/12 Sec Club Silverado VHO

go longtubes or keep your manifolds, shorties may offer little gains but are a headache in my opinion. Ive only had mine a month or two and Im already planning to ditch them next time I get the cash for some thorleys. The flanges on my edelbrocks never sealed properly and Im having to get them welded to the downpipe for the time being.
    Last edited by tex2500; 12-01-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 CCSB, 6.0, 4L80E

2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI

Quote Originally Posted by timber74wolf
    Okay I have been reading and reading for some time now. And my qeustion basically is this:
    Do or Are Shorty Headers better than the stock manifolds on a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 in it?
    On the 99+ trucks, no, shorties will offer no improvement over the stock exhaust manifolds.
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

I brake for brunettes

i just put shorties on my 08 made a nice sound difference alot crisper sounding but i wasnt after power as much as alittle better tone
    08 silverado 4x4 ext cab/sb 4.8 AIRRAID
    cors sport cathack .JBA stainless Shorties ORY , tune by hutter performance RC 3 lift 17x9 dc1s and 33x11.5 copper stts 6000k HIDs alot more to list

can never leave it alone :)

Quote Originally Posted by ddsz71
    i just put shorties on my 08 made a nice sound difference alot crisper sounding but i wasnt after power as much as alittle better tone
    You put headers on a truck for a different sound?

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Registered User smokinsilverado's Avatar

I have some JBA shorties on my truck I have had them on since about 15k miles I now have 62K miles and I haven't had any problems with them, no leaks, and I haven't had to do anything to them. Longtubes can give you more power but depending on emissions laws they are not C.A.R.B legal. I used to live in Dallas but I can't remember how strict the laws are there so I would check on that. I got more power out of mine, yeah it's not much only like 10 or 15hp but's it does make a difference and it did help with mileage

****SOLD****05 Silverado 5.3, Whipple , Nelson tune, JBA Shorties, 80mm BBK Throttle Body, 6" Tuff Country lift, Toyo MT's 35's rolling on 20" MHT Fuel Hostage Wheels, Eclipse Avn62D Navi with 2 small 8's

I brake for brunettes

that and i wanted to make the engine compartment look nicer i knew not to expect a whole lot of hp or tq but it did make a nice difference when i jump on it
    cors sport cathack .JBA stainless Shorties ORY , tune by hutter performance RC 3 lift 17x9 dc1s and 33x11.5 copper stts 6000k HIDs alot more to list

Quote Originally Posted by smokinsilverado
    I have some JBA shorties on my truck I have had them on since about 15k miles I now have 62K miles and I haven't had any problems with them, no leaks, and I haven't had to do anything to them. Longtubes can give you more power but depending on emissions laws they are not C.A.R.B legal. I used to live in Dallas but I can't remember how strict the laws are there so I would check on that. I got more power out of mine, yeah it's not much only like 10 or 15hp but's it does make a difference and it did help with mileage
    JBA's use a cone shaped flow enhancer (I have heard them called merge bullets before) where all 4 pipes merge at the collector for better scavenging which is the main reason they make better power over other shorties, they also cost about $700 if you want ceramic coating so unless you have to go with shorties (C.A.R.B. legality reasons, etc) go with longtubes, you can snag a set of ceramic coated hooker super comps or thorley tri-y's for less than that.
    Only reason I got shorties was because my manifolds had warped and needed to be replaced.

I brake for brunettes

i got my stainless ones for 383 from summit

wow! they're a lot cheaper for the NNBS trucks

stainless unfinished for my 6.0 is $500+ ceramic start around $700

Registered User smokinsilverado's Avatar

Yeah the JBA shorties are probably the best ones I don't remember how I paid for mine but it wasn't 700 I just got the stainless steal if I remember right they were 350.00 but I did get them from a place I already had bought a bunch of stuff from so I know I did get a discount.

****SOLD****05 Silverado 5.3, Whipple , Nelson tune, JBA Shorties, 80mm BBK Throttle Body, 6" Tuff Country lift, Toyo MT's 35's rolling on 20" MHT Fuel Hostage Wheels, Eclipse Avn62D Navi with 2 small 8's

Okay that info does help me a bit. I am still undecided as of yet. So here is my next question regarding the long tube headers... I have heard that if you put the long tube headers on your truck you lose low end torque. Is this true? And for an everyday driver would it be too much of a loss?

Longtubes are supposed to boost the low end power and response. At least that's what I've been taught.

As for the shorties being better than stock manifolds. Yes, any shorty is going to be better than what is on there now. The stock manifolds have come a long way, but they are not a shorty header made out of cast iron, not even close.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Quote Originally Posted by timber74wolf
    Okay that info does help me a bit. I am still undecided as of yet. So here is my next question regarding the long tube headers... I have heard that if you put the long tube headers on your truck you lose low end torque. Is this true? And for an everyday driver would it be too much of a loss?
    Go with thorley tri-y's you'll see a noticeable jump in low end torque, thats what they are designed for

:jacked: tex2500, how is the finish holding up on your Ti-Tech's? My Ceramics were good for about a year and then the flange started to rust a little bit. The pipes are good, just the flange has some rust.

I dont have really good photos of the flange

This is the best view I have. (I was installing my BlackBear Performance PCM in this pic)
    Last edited by 5.7L JWL; 12-04-2008 at 05:34 PM.

'98 ECSB, Edel Headers, Magnaflow Cats/CatBack
    K&N, Pully, Ign.Kit, D/S Rotors, SS Lines, BB 89 Tune
    Built 4L60E w/ Vigilante 2800 Stall
    http://photobucket.com/R3215T3R/ (Toyvrolet Drag Truck/S-10 Drag Truck)Pics.

My Ti-tech finished Edelbrocks are less than a year old and the tubes are freckled with rust spots. It's just surface cosmetic rust and it's most likely due to how close I'm parked to the ocean. I'm fine with it since what things look like under the hood matters very little to me, but had I known that was going to happen so fast I would have considered going stainless or opting for some JBA's.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

5.7JWL, my headers are holding up good but that doesnt mean much as they have only been on there for two months. My real problem is that they leak real bad, I think the downpipe flange is bent but Im not sure. Ive had a lot of problems getting these to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaks
    My Ti-tech finished Edelbrocks are less than a year old and the tubes are freckled with rust spots. It's just surface cosmetic rust and it's most likely due to how close I'm parked to the ocean. I'm fine with it since what things look like under the hood matters very little to me, but had I known that was going to happen so fast I would have considered going stainless or opting for some JBA's.
    Same here (except the ocean part, and it's not my tubes, just the flanges). I went by Summit ( I live about 15min. from the one here in Ga.) and told/showed them the headers and they said they would give me another set. I didn't feel like taking these back off. They are direct bolt on, but it's not like your making a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. The rust has not gotten any worse in the last year so I'm OK with it. If it were a show truck, you bet your a$$ I'd have a new set on there.
    Last edited by 5.7L JWL; 12-05-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tex2500
    My real problem is that they leak real bad, I think the downpipe flange is bent but Im not sure. Ive had a lot of problems getting these to work.
    Is it both flanges? When I put mine on, I got them as tight as I could at the "collector" ( there is the one bolt on top that is a PITA) flange but I still ended up going by a muffler shop and paying the guy $10 to tighten them down after locating the leak. It was the Pass. side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast