***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Expanding 2.50" pipe to 3.00" Need Help

This is a discussion on Expanding 2.50" pipe to 3.00" Need Help within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; I want to run a bassani universal muffler on my truck. The universal mufflers only come in 2.50" inlet and ...

Expanding 2.50" pipe to 3.00" Need Help

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I want to run a bassani universal muffler on my truck. The universal mufflers only come in 2.50" inlet and 2.50" outlet. Is there any way to expand the muffler too 3"?

Most expanders are just able to pull the crimps out of clamped mufflers and I know for a fact that an expander will not take that 2.50" inlet to 3".

Is there any other way to make this happen?

Is my only option cutting off the 2.50" inlet/outlet and saw z'alling the inlet/outlet a little wider and welding it to my exhaust pipes I was thinking a 3" whole saw would do the trick but the only way for that to work would be having something for the pilot bit to grab onto to guide the whole saw.

Any ideas??
    2005 Silverado Crew Cab / Debadged, Demolded, Fully Paint Matched
    Longtubes, ORY, 3200 Stall, TSP 220r 112 LSA Cam, 4:30 Gears
    1/2 Drop, Texas Ed Alloy Silvy 20s
    Next Mod: 2/4 Drop, and Toyo Proxes

Re: Expanding 2.50" pipe to 3.00" Need Help

What's this going on and if you need it to expand to 3 inches, I assume the pipes that are there are currently 3 inches in diameter?

You might be over thinking this. If you need to mate 2.5 up to 3, you can simply get some reducers. Reducers are made for this sort of thing, where you either need to increase or decrease the size by 1/2 and inch. I used reducers to help splice in my Corsa muffler with its 2.5 inch inlet/outlets to the factory 2.75 pipe diameter. Worked perfectly and was a cheap solution.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Well currently I am running my stock 2.75" intermediate pipe, and i would use a reducer to make it work, but I dont want to reduce the flow. So basically what would happen is the 2.75" pipe would go down to 2.50" then through the muffler and to a 3" exhaust pipe. I just cant see reducing the exhaust just to run a 2.50" muffler.

If I can stretch the muffler inlet to 2.75" that will work, but my tail pipe is 3" and after market. Something would have to be done to the outlet to accomodate the extra .50" of pipe. i want to avoid reducers at all cost. So I guess my only hope is too cut the outlet off and cut out the outlet hole a little larger.

Any ideas of how to do that with out making it look like a total hack job.

If it makes you feel any better, I reduced the 2.75 intermediate pipe to accept my 2.5 in/out muffler, and then expanded after the muffler to the 2.75 size. I know I reduced the diameter for a few feet to 2.5, but my Corsa is a straight-through design so whatever bottleneck I created, I more than made up for it by having an extremely high flowing muffler. A .25 reduction in my opinion isn't going to do anything to hurt the performance of our 5.3's when you consider that you aren't putting a choke of a muffler in there, you are putting something very high flow in. The positive results of the aftermarket muffler outweighs the negative effects of a tiny little reduction is the way I look at it.

Your in the same boat I was because your muffler is 2.5 in/out and not a 2.5 in/3.0 out. You can't change the diameters inside the muffler so no matter what you do, you are going to end up reducing to a 2.5 diameter for at least a foot or more depending on how long the muffler is. But, you could cut off the 2.5 exit on the muffler and have a 3 inch peice welded on in it's place so that the rear of the muffler slides right into your 3 inch aftermarket pipe. If done well, I don't think that would look like a hack job.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

I see what you mean. Just seems stupid to reduce an exhaust to put in a performance muffler. The inside of the bassani is pretty unique. I think if I figured a way to expand the inlet to slide over or in my 2.75" stock pipe I would be golden. As for the back side, I would simply hack off the outlet and waller out the hole so that my 3" tail pipe would silde in, then have it welded up.

The inside of the bassani muffler looks like a chamber / straight through muffler. If you google "Inside bassani muffler" you will see what I mean. There are two perferated pipes that are held inplace by two chambers. Kind of weird, but all I know is they flow very well and they sound insanly sexy.

Check it out.

So do you think its possible to expande a 2.50" pipe to 2.75" if I use and expander and lots of heat.

FWIW: If the corsa muffler wasnt so damn $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I would have bought one of them, but I cant find one under 200.00 bucks.

Do you have a sound clip?

if the muffler is 2.50" just expanding the inlet will do nothing but the exact same thing a reducer will do. Save yourself some time and just get a reducer. You litterally cannot tell a difference in performance with something like that..

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado05CC View Post
    Well currently I am running my stock 2.75" intermediate pipe, and i would use a reducer to make it work, but I dont want to reduce the flow. So basically what would happen is the 2.75" pipe would go down to 2.50" then through the muffler and to a 3" exhaust pipe. I just cant see reducing the exhaust just to run a 2.50" muffler.

If I can stretch the muffler inlet to 2.75" that will work, but my tail pipe is 3" and after market. Something would have to be done to the outlet to accomodate the extra .50" of pipe. i want to avoid reducers at all cost. So I guess my only hope is too cut the outlet off and cut out the outlet hole a little larger.

Any ideas of how to do that with out making it look like a total hack job.
    No, that is a recipe for a total hack job. Get the right muffler or use reducers.
    95 transgo shift kit, vette servo, flowmaster, Yukon 4.11's, Detroit TrueTrac, 4" RC lift, 4" blocks, 31x10.5 Mud Brutes, Pioneer system, 383:. dart 165/67cc heads, eagle rotating assembly, 3704 intake manifold, 47mm TB, comp xe249h, flowtech headers, spintech 6000

You're making it way too complicated. Take it too an exhaust shop and have them expand the inlet ~1/4" to where it will slide over the factory 2.75" pipe, then have them expand the outlet ~1/4" where it will fit INSIDE the 3" tail pipe (tailpipe will be less than 3" on the inside, muffler will measure over 2.5" on the outside).

They should be able to do this no problem and not charge you much at all. Only reason to use reducers would be to make up the difference in length of the muffler being replaced.

I do have some sound clips, but I might not be able to get them linked in here for a day or so.

I have researched Bassani and they do have a unique inside to them and a unique and awesome sound too. Once you get this sorted out you will be happy you went this route versus some of the alternative brands out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaks View Post
    I do have some sound clips, but I might not be able to get them linked in here for a day or so.

I have researched Bassani and they do have a unique inside to them and a unique and awesome sound too. Once you get this sorted out you will be happy you went this route versus some of the alternative brands out there.
    Hell yes i will be! Bassani has a very distinct sound note to it. I have had them on a lot of my vehicles, but i dont want to pay 900 for a catback. at absolute worst case i will get 2 of the same mufflers and run a y pipe to split it into 2 pipes then run 2.50" all the way out.

Sucks the mufflers are 125.00 each

The videos you requested. The truck was coughing a bit because I had just installed the PCM and hooked up the battery and it needed to relearn it's idle.

Last edited by Tweaks; 11-19-2010 at 07:43 AM.