GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2000 silverado 5.3 cat question

This is a discussion on 2000 silverado 5.3 cat question within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 4wd. I am getting true duals with glass packs put on in a ...

2000 silverado 5.3 cat question

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 4wd. I am getting true duals with glass packs put on in a couple days. My question is I want to take the cats out, will this make my truck run different and should I leave the back two sensors in that are after the cats.? I have seen on other trucks that have taken there cats off and they run like crap. I have had this setup on my fords and never had a problem not sure about this truck though. Thanks you

Re: 2000 silverado 5.3 cat question

I know this isn't what you were expecting to hear, but your 2000 with the 5.3 will be much happier with the cats left alone. They are not the restrictive type of a generation before and the 5.3 will become a low rpm dog with them removed. Also, you would want to leave the sensors in place but have the rears shut off through a PCM tune.

If you know someone that went that route and noticed that the truck was changed and not for the better, seems like you already know what's ahead of you if you do choose to remove the cats.

Now, if you were swapping the stock manifolds for long tube headers and finishing the system with some sort of x or h pipe and keeping it true dual with the right diameter of pipe, that's a whole different and better story, but hacking the stock exhaust on your truck to make true duals is not the best way to go.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaks View Post
    I know this isn't what you were expecting to hear, but your 2000 with the 5.3 will be much happier with the cats left alone. They are not the restrictive type of a generation before and the 5.3 will become a low rpm dog with them removed. Also, you would want to leave the sensors in place but have the rears shut off through a PCM tune.

If you know someone that went that route and noticed that the truck was changed and not for the better, seems like you already know what's ahead of you if you do choose to remove the cats.

Now, if you were swapping the stock manifolds for long tube headers and finishing the system with some sort of x or h pipe and keeping it true dual with the right diameter of pipe, that's a whole different and better story, but hacking the stock exhaust on your truck to make true duals is not the best way to go.
    Pretty much ^

You are spending money where it really doesn't need to be spent. Running a single 3 inch pipe to a Quality muffler will benefit more than true duals IMO.
    4.8/Pacesetter LT's/RPT Tune/Servo/Magnaflow/el cheapo intake

Hey Tweaks, Why do I need to shut off the rear sensors if Im going to keep the cats?

Im not running headers just glasspacks and true duals then. Do I really need an h-pipe or x pipe. What are my gains. thanks

Not sure if I worded things wrong, but my apologies if I confused you at all.

If you leave the cats or some sort of catalytic converters in the exhaust system, you will be fine by leaving the sensors alone and not shutting any of their signals off. However, if you alter them (gut the internals) or remove them, then you will get a check engine light on constantly due to the rear o2 sensors throwing a code for having whatever they monitor being too far out of the acceptable range. The rear o2 sensors on your truck can be shut off through having your trucks computer tuned. I had mine shut off with my PCM tune but I still have to rock the stock y-pipe and cats because MA sniffs and inspects for them.

To recap, if you don't alter the cats, no o2 sensor work needs to be done. If you do modify or remove the cats, then rear o2 sensor signal needs to be disabled through a computer tune.

Your y-pipe comes together to form a single 2.75 diameter pipe just before it flanges to the intermediate pipe. So, if you keep the stock manifolds and leave the y-pipe alone, you will be able to create a dual looking setup after the y-pipe, but it won't be a '"true" dual exhaust. You can put whatever muffler you want in place of the stock muffler and then have a muffler/exhaust shop create a y after the muffler and snake two pipes up and over the rear axle out to tips to create that dual look. Most cat-backs pretty much do this, or they use a single in/dual out muffler to accomplish this. This sort of setup does not require an H or X crossover to balance the two banks of cylinders, like you need to do with a true dual exhaust setup. There are gains any time you replace the stock muffler with something aftermarket, but the gains tend to not be enough to feel the added power and it's really a sound preference thing.

Now, if you were to go the radical route, with longtube headers and then keep the rest of the system a true dual setup, with the right pipe diameter to promote exhaust velocity, you would see approx. 20hp or more and similar torque gains, and the gains would also arrive lower in the rpm range so you would actually feel these gains in regular daily driving. This setup would require longtube headers, your choice on whether or not to run cats, then either an H or X pipe to promote balance between the left and right bank of cylinders, a muffler for each side, and tailpipes ran to wherever you like and tips if you prefer. This is the sort of setup that would then require the rear o2 sensors to be disabled.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Hey tweaks, Thanks alot. Makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by maxjordan1982 View Post
    Hey tweaks, Thanks alot. Makes sense now.
    No problemo. I'm mostly here to help

ok new problem! I got my exhaust done factory y pipe into glasspack then out to duals. not what I wanted but fine for now because the guy wants to charge me another $100 for true duals. Now I keep getting codes for my back two sensors (low voltage)after the cats. I dont understand why. Nothing has been changed except a glasspack. My truck low end is gone. Any ideas?

I have true dauls with glass packs now. I put on the back O2s those spark plug spacers. Ran fine for two months now I have two codes P160 and P161. It says no voltage or activity. Any ideas guys. Thanks