If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No cats, Pros and cons

This is a discussion on No cats, Pros and cons within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; Check engine light came on and i need to replace the cats but i was thiken. Could i just get ...

No cats, Pros and cons

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Check engine light came on and i need to replace the cats but i was thiken. Could i just get them cut out and the light would go out. Dont know a whole lot about it. I wanna keep my true dual 40 on it just cut the cats off.. Whats the pros and cons of running no cats and will it make my check engine light go off?? And we dont have inspection in SC so that is no problem
    Last edited by big-boi77; 07-03-2011 at 03:04 PM.

17' Spys-33 Destination M/T-15% Tint True Duals 40 Series Flows-2 12' RE Audio SEXD4's

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

Re: No cats, Pros and cons

no cats will make the check eng light stay on all the time as it monitors the rear o2 sensors to see if the cat is functioning correctly...and w/o cats it gonna see the same as the upstream o2 sensor and trip a light

only way to take the cats off and not have a light is to get it custom tuned so that the computer doesnt read the rear o2 sensors

also w/o cats the exhaust will be louder than it is now
    97 z71,3" body lift, tow mirrors, cranked and AAL, 35" KM2's, 4.56 gears w/lockright, 6k HID's, strobes/lightbar/leds
    06 2500hd 6.0 gasser, 4" lift, 37" Toyos on 20" rockstars, 20" lightbar behind grill, colormatching in progress

Im cool with louder exhaust. Al long as it sounds good not annoying loud. What about performance. Will it affect mpg? cant you get the o2 sensors welded into the pipe??

17' Spys-33 Destination M/T-15% Tint True Duals 40 Series Flows-2 12' RE Audio SEXD4's

The rear O2 sensors monitor cat operation. If the cats are gone, the light will be on. As mentioned, you will need an "off road" tune to make the light stay off. You can delete EGR at the same time

The tune is about the same cost as a new wye pipe, the increased power and economy are included at no extra charge.

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

with your muffler i dont think it would be to bad...but it will be a good bit louder

you can get the o2s put back in but they will be pointless at the only thing they do is to monitor the exhaust to see if the cat is working properly, so if they are reading the same as the upstream o2 sensors..it will w/o cats, the computer thinks that the cat is not working properly and will set a p0440 code i believe for cat converter efficiency

only way to delete cats and not get a light is to get custom tune done so that it tricks the computer to thinking that the rear o2 sensors are working properly
    97 z71,3" body lift, tow mirrors, cranked and AAL, 35" KM2's, 4.56 gears w/lockright, 6k HID's, strobes/lightbar/leds
    06 2500hd 6.0 gasser, 4" lift, 37" Toyos on 20" rockstars, 20" lightbar behind grill, colormatching in progress

So removal of cats is worse MPG

Incorrect, When i had my Cat cut off my 93 i felt a tad more power, and or if not better mpg not a huge difference but it did not hurt any
    System Administration Extraordinaire
    Proud member and contributor of FSC since 2011
    Servode.com | Dedicated Web Hosting and System Administration Solutions

40's and no cats is the way to go. just run some headers and it will sound pretty mean.
    '84 k20 Silverado- 12" Superlifts, 38.5 XML's, 454/th400/np208/14b-FF/10b~SOLD
    '83 k30 Silverado- 4" susp, 35" Boggers, 454/sm465/np205/14b-FF/d60~Weekend truck
    '99 Ram 2500 4x4- CTD/NV4500/NP241HD/D70/D60/150PGH FASS/150hp DDP's/4in straight pipe to 6in single~DD

Modern cats are not restrictive enough to flow to really hurt power or mpg. The only thing they have an affect on is your emissions and a slight effect on sound. The difference in hydrocarbons comming out the tail pipe is enormous though.

you get no noticeable gains from gutting the cats. and if you search on ebay for carsound you'll see a ton of converters on there for dirt cheap. they're magnaflow cats and are great. i had 2 on my camaro...383 stroker with a radical cam. they stopped the gas smell from coming out the tail pipe...and with as cheap as they are it's worth saving the environment for 50 bucks.

You'll only notice a gain in power if they're clogged. You can buy Thunderbolt cats with an O2 bung already welded on so just hook up the sensor and go, no need for a tune if you don't want one yet.

95 Sierra C1500 SL
    99 Suburban K1500 LT

don't be a tree hugger... just delete them and buy a tune.
    '83 k30 Silverado- 4" susp, 35" Boggers, 454/sm465/np205/14b-FF/d60~Weekend truck
    '99 Ram 2500 4x4- CTD/NV4500/NP241HD/D70/D60/150PGH FASS/150hp DDP's/4in straight pipe to 6in single~DD

Def not a tree hugger i just didnt wanna lose mpg.. times are tuff

Customizing on a Budget Chevy-Art's Avatar

I have cats on my truck, they are Magnaflow, from what I read they are supposed to flow pretty good. But I may be getting rid of them soon.
    1990 Chevrolet RCSB powered * 2002 LS1/4L60E
    Quote Originally Posted by JWolfe75 View Post
    There is a retard in every bunch......if you look around and can't see one........guess what?

you won't lose any MPG. you might gain a bit.

So is the adjustment to the tune strictly for the check engine light...or is there any actual tuning advantage/disadvantage to losing them?
    04 Silverao LS, 5.3L, 4X4, 4.56's, Tru Track, Pacesetters, 315/75R16, RC Keys, AAL, K&N CAI, Vette Servo, Aero3030, Audioque 10" sub, BB Tuned

This is an old post, but i've read somewhere you can get fake O2 sensors that trick your computer into thinking its running right, don't take my word for it though

No need to not have cats, If they are clogged or failed , get off your cheap ass and replace em, but fix the problem that caused em to fail to begin with, You guys who remove your cat's are not doing the hotrodders and sport truckers any favors with the government, Just because you don''t have emissions now, just wait, its coming. The fedsand states and local governments are finding ways to squeeze every last dollar out of your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironroad9c1 View Post
    You guys who remove your cat's are not doing the hotrodders and sport truckers any favors with the government, Just because you don''t have emissions now, just wait, its coming. The fedsand states and local governments are finding ways to squeeze every last dollar out of your hands.
    He speaks the truth. Please keep this in the forefront of your mind before getting all bent out of shape about cats being bad, restrictive, and robbing mpg. Just because the state you live in doesn't inspect, doesn't mean you aren't committing a federal offense. Replacement cats have become so cheap now that it's a smart move to keep them under there for the near future when your state does decide to make some more revenue and model themselves after the states that do inspect.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

sooooo? anyone want to actually answer the question?

JK: thanks for the input guys. Seems like something simple to replace...I just didnt want to chop up the new Y-pipe if it wasnt neccesary.
    04 Silverao LS, 5.3L, 4X4, 4.56's, Tru Track, Pacesetters, 315/75R16, RC Keys, AAL, K&N CAI, Vette Servo, Aero3030, Audioque 10" sub, BB Tuned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast