If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

True dual exhaust. pros/cons

This is a discussion on True dual exhaust. pros/cons within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; Alright. simple question. what are the pros and cons of having a true dual exhaust system. if theres a pro ...

True dual exhaust. pros/cons

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Alright. simple question. what are the pros and cons of having a true dual exhaust system. if theres a pro at all to it.
    (for the record i did search. yet.... nothing. ) Thanks.

Re: True dual exhaust. pros/cons

X and H pipes help even out the exhaust pressure between the banks for some information..

1998 Chevy K1500 - 5.7L - True dual exhaust, AIRRAID intake

Registered User southcarolina12's Avatar

do you mean true dual by no cross over at all? or do you mean that you have 2 pipes coming back the whole way?

2000 silverado z71, 315 mud grapplers, leveled, k&n intake, flowmaster 40, cat delete, hid, strobes, bully dog tuner, msd ignition, e3 spark plugs, polished throttle body, shift kit, long tubes, z06 cam

either or. im planning on having true duals with no crossover. unless theres a plus to an x or h pipe.

yeah a x pipe will help out with sound and i think it will help out with power but it wont be much of a power difference. idk y people dont do any crossover but most every race car has a cross over.

2000 silverado z71, 315 mud grapplers, leveled, k&n intake, flowmaster 40, cat delete, hid, strobes, bully dog tuner, msd ignition, e3 spark plugs, polished throttle body, shift kit, long tubes, z06 cam

Quote Originally Posted by l2uFF-4x4 View Post
    either or. im planning on having true duals with no crossover. unless theres a plus to an x or h pipe.
    Ya know,I read an article written by an exhaust guru about exhaust theory and how it applies to designing exhaust systems. I don't remember who the author was,but he stated that unless you install the crossover ahead of the catalytic converters,you will see no benefit from adding the crossover.
    Obviously,this would be extremely difficult to do on any vehicle while maintaining proper cat function...Food for thought.

Anyway,I wouldn't bother with true dual exhaust. I can't think of one reason it would be superior to a well designed single exhaust system,but a couple cons to a true dual system imo would be that you're pretty much doubling the cost and the weight of the system by going with true duals.
    If I could do my exhaust over again I would use long tube headers into a 2.5" wye pipe with two high flow cats into a single 3-3.5" exhaust with a straight through muffler.
    A well designed system like that will support the power a healthy small block will make,but if we are talking about a built big block then a true dual system starts looking more attractive merely because the pipe size required in a single system would be impractical due to the fact that most exhaust shops are unequipped to bend pipe sizes large enough to support large displacement engines with a single exhaust.

Stick with the single. My 0.02
    Last edited by 907 Chevy; 09-24-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    DD: 1989 Taurus SHO
    Project:1995 ECSB,Auto-5 speed manual conversion,Vortec 357,LT4 Hotcam

i have a single in dual out muffler and when you do a single in dual out it tends 2 have a better sound 2 it.

well my brother had true duals. and his truck is done for. so i could take his exhaust setup and just swap out mufflers.

well you can add a x or a h pipe to a true dual setup fairly easy. but mufflers do wear put. most after market ones wear out and rust out much faster than the stock ones. if i were you i would take it to a exhaust shop and get him 2 run duals all the way from the manifolds or headers all the way out the back with a high flow cats, a x pipe, and 2 flowmaster 10 series.

From everything i've read, an H-pipe adds more low end (not sure why) and an X-pipe adds more high rpm ponies (not sure why either)

from personal experience, only time i've seen a crossover be necessary is if you were trying to squeeze every single ounce of power out of a truck/car whatever. people have ran true duals for years without problems or complaints, but i know people that will swear up and down that if you don't have a crossover that your truck wont be worth a **** anymore :shrug: its all a matter of personal preference, imo
    Avoidin' the police since day 1.

well either way i would have a cross over cause it just dont sound right with out one.