GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

whats the best exhaust for engines with the AFM?

This is a discussion on whats the best exhaust for engines with the AFM? within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; Okay so I would like to get a decent exhaust set up for my 2012 Silverado, what catbacks have you ...

Registered User smokinsilverado's Avatar

whats the best exhaust for engines with the AFM?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Okay so I would like to get a decent exhaust set up for my 2012 Silverado, what catbacks have you guys found that sound good when it goes into 4 cylinder mode and doesn't have a negative impact on gas mileage? Thanks for the imput.

****SOLD****05 Silverado 5.3, Whipple , Nelson tune, JBA Shorties, 80mm BBK Throttle Body, 6" Tuff Country lift, Toyo MT's 35's rolling on 20" MHT Fuel Hostage Wheels, Eclipse Avn62D Navi with 2 small 8's

Re: whats the best exhaust for engines with the AFM?

I put a Magnaflow muffler on my '08 with the stock pipes. Inside the truck, I can't tell any difference between 8 & 4 cyl. It has a slight drone around 2000 rpm but I quickly got used to it. The mileage hasn't changed a bit.

Registered User smokinsilverado's Avatar

Okay perfect, so how do you like the sound?

****SOLD****05 Silverado 5.3, Whipple , Nelson tune, JBA Shorties, 80mm BBK Throttle Body, 6" Tuff Country lift, Toyo MT's 35's rolling on 20" MHT Fuel Hostage Wheels, Eclipse Avn62D Navi with 2 small 8's

I really like it. It has a deep mellow sound. I went with the longest 3" muffler they make.

Another option is to have AFM tuned out. I had this done, cut out the factory muffler and resonator, and currently run a single chamber muffler with the pipe dumped next to the spare. G'luck w/ whatever you choose.
    Last edited by BigBlue'00; 08-08-2012 at 04:50 AM.

2007 Silverado Crew Cab V-Max, Black Bear Performance Tune, Volant, Single Chamber Flow, CCM 2.5", Zone 1.5" BL, Eagle Alloy 178, Pro Comp Xtreme M/T's

do you have any sound clips? i'm thinking of doing this to my burb what muffler # did you get?

They're coming for us 1988 GMC 355's Avatar

I would agree the Magnaflows would sound great in either mode, help MPG more, and get some performance, I would think the longest they make in a 3" inlet is 24" or so.

'95 GMC Z71|L05|GT4|Yukon 17s|Belltech|Purple Keys|FastChip|Hedman|Borla |XtremeFI|Goodmark|Kenwood|Memphis|Ultimate TBI Mods|E Fan|
    Yes it is a 4x4, yes it is lowered

5200 lbs. at 13.0/17.0MPG
    1988 GMC SOLD