GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

97' 5.7 Vortec - What to do?...TT or S Charge?

This is a discussion on 97' 5.7 Vortec - What to do?...TT or S Charge? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the Performance category; This is my 1st posting. I have a 97' Silverado- stepside. I'm ready to fix it up. I'm ready to ...

Question 97' 5.7 Vortec - What to do?...TT or S Charge?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    This is my 1st posting.

I have a 97' Silverado- stepside. I'm ready to fix it up. I'm ready to GO FAST! But I'm Clueless. So, I'm here to ask for ideas about Turbo or Supercharger. I've had problems finding what I need for this 5.7 liter Vortec.

I'm wondering if I have one of those engines that you can't do anything with. I say that because I don't see many people posting what they did with theirs.

Enlighten me!
    Thanks

Re: 97' 5.7 Vortec - What to do?...TT or S Charge?

Put a Procharger on it.

The biggest problem with the 5.7 Vortec is the limitation of the fuel system. From what I have heard the stock "spider" style injectors can only support around 350HP. One way that you could kill 2 birds with one stone is with a Magnuson Supercharger setup. This would give you a roots style SC and would also replace the stock manifold/injectors with an external "bosch" style injector setup, which could then be upgraded as needed. There are other means like the marine intake swap or you could go with a carb setup, but I think the Magnuson is a much better/easier option.
    The engine itself is very capable, its the fuel injectors that suck.

Heres a pic of teh Magnacharger that Midnight98 is referring to.
    http://www.magnacharger.com/images/h...0Photo%201.jpg

Here is teh MArine intake I am running right now. It allows the use of real fuel injectors that can be bought in larger sizes. Stock the 1996-98 Vortec 350/305's use a 19 pph injector which limits NA power to around 400 crank or about 330 rwhp.

I am running 24 pph injectors which flow about 28pph at the 60 psi Vortec fuel pressure.
    http://www.sfatek.com/images/efi.jpg
    And teh Marine Intake installation and info page(I am Hog on that forum)
    http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317

You can also use teh Ramjet intake manifold as it fits Vortec heads as well.
    http://www.eficonnection.com/ramjet350obdii/default.htm

OR just use a carb intake with injector bungs installed and install injectors.

Here is a Holley Vortec intake that will work as well.
    http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5026

Irregardless of what type of forced induction you use, you will need to install a different intake manifold in order to PROPERLY fuel the engine.

You may be interested in teh 411 PCM install in place of teh Vortec "blackbox" PCM. Teh stock BLACKBOX PCM doesnt allow tuning via HPTuners or EFILIve(EFILIve has just released files for the 98-00 Vortec trucks only, no 96-97 support) Teh 199600 black box PCM doesnt allow 5800+ rev limits. You will need to upgrade to teh 411 PCM in order to run a 2 or 3 BAR <AP sensor and custom OS taht supports boost. Use the MAP sensor from a 3.8L supercharged W body GTP or similar as it fits teh Vortec 305/350 MAP sensor plugin.
    The 411 is a newer better PCm that was used in teh newer LS1 vehicles.

Here is teh 411 PCM swap info
    http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240

peace
    Hog
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

I just took a Powerdyne off my 96 vortec that would help you out. Boy is that truck slow now without the supercharger on it. I ran it with the stock fuel system and intake, just used a boost-a-pump. Let me know if you want it, we can work out a deal.

Dan

Awesome post Pauly. I was thinking about toying around with making a twin setup for my 98 vortec. Looking for info on stuff like the weakest links and what parts may be needed. That 411 pcm link is a gold mine, I got efilive for my 01 vette already and have one more license to use. Looks like a few things will be needed, but at least the engine seems like it can handle my plans(~450hp) without problem.
    98 1500 Sierra Z71
    01 Corvette Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Azzhauler
    Awesome post Pauly. I was thinking about toying around with making a twin setup for my 98 vortec. Looking for info on stuff like the weakest links and what parts may be needed. That 411 pcm link is a gold mine, I got efilive for my 01 vette already and have one more license to use. Looks like a few things will be needed, but at least the engine seems like it can handle my plans(~450hp) without problem.
    Good, glad I could help, thanks for the props.

In order to use the 411 in your 1998 truck, you will need the 1998-00 Vortec 350 PCM pinout assignments, as well as the 2001-2002 Vortec 350 Express Van PCM pinout assignments. (PM me an email adress and I will gladly send them to you).

Your twin turbo plans will wake up that Vortec 350 for sure. You will need teh 411 PCM, a custom 2 BAR MAP operating system from EFILIve, and an intake manifold that will allow teh use of larger fuel injectors than the stock 19 pph poppet spider. The Cross ram marine intake(that I am using), Ramjet, Holley Vortec EFI, Edelbrock Super Victor Vortec EFI or any carb intake converted for MPFI along with the requisite fuel rails.

Good luck and keep us updated on your project.

PM me an email adress if you want me to send you the 1998 truck and 01-02 Vortec 350 Van PCM pinout assignments.

peace
    Pauly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

2000 Tahoe Limited JNCrutchfield's Avatar

I want to twin turbo my vortec 350 as well!!!

how much is that magnuson setup and how involved?

No its not stock height!
    1998 GMC "TOY"
    2005 Chevy 2500HD "DAILY"

If you run the holley intake you cant use you stock throttle body right?

Quote Originally Posted by midnight98
    The biggest problem with the 5.7 Vortec is the limitation of the fuel system. From what I have heard the stock "spider" style injectors can only support around 350HP. .

HOG POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER FORUM

The higher flowing Westers spider costs $389 witha $200 core charge. The stock spiders are good for roughly 400 crank hp while Westers Garage says that their spider is good for 440 crank hp. Remember that tehse power numbers are for naturally NA setups, it takes MORE fuel to build teh saem power using a forced inductions etup, so the max. power numbers will be lower. The original stockers were about 350-360 hp with forced induction, the 28 pph Westers poppets should be higher.

http://westersgarage.eidnet.org/injectors.htm
    Last edited by 383 silverado; 06-12-2007 at 11:19 PM.

383 silverado 2500 , 4l80e, bassani shorties, coming soon 411 pcm swap & 4.88 gears