If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

94 k1500 turbo or supercharger

This is a discussion on 94 k1500 turbo or supercharger within the Forced Induction forums, part of the Performance category; I am having trouble finding out what I need done to my 94 gmc k1500 pickup. I plan to get ...

94 k1500 turbo or supercharger

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I am having trouble finding out what I need done to my 94 gmc k1500 pickup. I plan to get a twin turbo kit which I found on ebay, but need help finding out what I must do to my engine so it can support the turbo without engine failure of some sort. Please email me at justv218@yahoo.com with support information. Thanks

Broke ass highschool kid bigwhite93's Avatar

Re: 94 k1500 turbo or supercharger

I really don't understand why the noobies always want people to email them with advice. Do they not know how a forum works? Can they not see the post reply button at the bottom of the page? Is the search disabled for the first month of membership?

Anyway, one thing that might help to know is how much boost will said twin turbos produce? If its something like 5-6lbs, in which case I would stay away from them because for what twins cost, they should be making a lot more boost than that, but anyway, if is only like 5-6lbs you really don't need to do anything. But if its something like 25-30lbs. then you start getting into thicker head gaskets, head studs, lower compression pistons, stuff like that. Don't take this advice to heart though, this is just my knowledge of building diesels so, while I assume it would be the same process, I'd wait on someone else to chime in.
    Last edited by bigwhite93; 10-13-2008 at 05:31 AM.
    1993 Chevy Full size Blazer
    1991.0 Dodge Cummins (non i/c) W350 4x4 5spd
    As always, murder comes at a price. If you want this fluffy little hitman to do your dirtywork, make an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhite93
    I really don't understand why the noobies always want people to email them with advice. Do they not know how a forum works? Can they not see the post reply button at the bottom of the page? Is the search disabled for the first month of membership?

Anyway, one thing that might help to know is how much boost will said twin turbos produce? If its something like 5-6lbs, in which case I would stay away from them because for what twins cost, they should be making a lot more boost than that, but anyway, if is only like 5-6lbs you really don't need to do anything. But if its something like 25-30lbs. then you start getting into thicker head gaskets, head studs, lower compression pistons, stuff like that. Don't take this advice to heart though, this is just my knowledge of building diesels so, while I assume it would be the same process, I'd wait on someone else to chime in.
    Your absolutely right, on both accounts. Seems a people who ask to get advise over e-mail never come back to forums from what I have seen on other forums. Really, forums are your best bet to gain any form of knowledge. Read and Post, don't even mention e-mail because I doubt anyone will e-mail you.

About the Turbo, mainly anything under what seems to be 8lbs would be safe. (At least for the other vehicles I am around; new to trucks)... but the concensensous everywhere seems to be over 8-9lbs of boost, you are going to need work to the engine.

A Twin Turbo kit would..should, definitely produce a lot more than that! (At least 15lbs) so you may need to do an extensive bit to your engine to be safe to drive.

What exactly do you want to use it for? Tracking it, or just having a bit more power? If it is just for the bit more power, I would look into single turbo kits (If there are any), or definitely superchargers. If you keep the boost low, you will still feel a big difference and you don't need to worry about dropping all the more money on working on your engine to support it till you are ready.

Once you are ready for more boost, you can then drop the extra money on your engine, upgrading the turbo..etc
    The P.O.S.T (Piece of S**T Truck)1989 Chevy 1500 5.7L
    KMJ Headers | Straight Pipes | 3" Body Lift | American Racing Wheels | 33" Tires | 14-Bolt Rear End

129,000 Miles
    :fsc:

This is the twin turbo I am looking at. I am also new to this so leave me alone . Thanks for the advice tho, but here is the link for the turbo kit, and it seems to be the only one that I can find for my truck. Supercharger kits are a little more expensive than this kit, but I will take recommendations on whatever. My truck is on cardomain (gmachine94). I was told I would need to put true duals, and a new intake manifold on the truck before installing the turbos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-T...mZ350084637550

Registered User smokinsilverado's Avatar

I am not sure about the quality of that setup I think if your going to go with a turbo your best bet would be sts there are quite a few members that have them on this forum that can vouch for the quality. personally if your going to go wih a twin turbo setup then you should be building the engine up so you can take full advantage of both the turbos. I think it was said by someone else already but if your just looking for some extra power then go with the simplicity of a single turbo or a supercharger.. even at 6 to 8 psi your going to notice a huge difference in power

Does anyone know of a supercharger kit or single turbo kit lower than $1500? I will take the advice and probably not go with a twin turbo because it seems like too much, and I just don't have the money to uprgrade my engine according to the twin turbo kit. If no turbos or s/c found, what are some good cheep upgrades. Was looking at this on Jegs also, and here is a universal single turbo I found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...=p4506.c0.m245

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/3704K3/10002/-1

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

what are your goals out of this install? if you're planning on making enough power to warrant installing a turbo (or two) or a supercharger, you're going to have to do some beefing to the rest of your drivetrain as well.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

GreaseDog is right no matter what option you go with your going to spend some money, whenever your adding any kind of turbo or supercharger your going to need a parts fund to replace everything you blow up

Going to try and rebuild my top end of my engine. Probly gonna go with something like jegs Tbi top end kit, comp cams "xtreme energy" hydraulic flat tappet camshafts, and a set of Headman Hedders. Does anyone know what kind of power increase I will be looking at with this stuff. Heard it will unleash some hidden power. Just hoping that I won't be dissapointed with this money im sticking into it. Open to all kinds of recommendations.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/K12-249-4/10002/-1
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/69440/10002/-1#
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/3704K3/10002/-1

Those are the links to the parts I wish to buy.

This is just my opinion but I think you’re going about this the wrong way.
    ask your self these questions
    1. What is the end goal for this prodject
    2. how much money do I have to want to spend
    3. based on question #2 revisit #1

Build from the bottom up. if your looking at doing a supercharger or a turbo your going to need a SOLID bottom end and a good set of heads. Start from there and then go up.
    [FOR SALE] 93 yukon 2 DR 4x4 TBI|383 Fully Forged, Rollered AFR Heads intercooled F1 procharger| Hooker LT's True 2.5 Duals|4:10's Eaton Locker.

Other ride
    93 Jeep YJ 4.6 whippled stroker,Accel DFI and WB. Tuned by yours truly (sucked 2 valves) blown 5.3 in the works

Basically I am just looking to gain power. I would love to redo my whole entire engine, but unfortunately I do not have that kind of money Anyway, I am looking for a way to get the most power out of my engine, and give it a nicer look for my end result. I also wanna prepare it for a turbo, or s/c while doing so. I am on a budget, the most I am willing to spend is 2000 including the labor costs to install everything.
    I have already installed msd 8.5mm spark plug wires, msd blaster ignition coil, airaid throttle body spacer, and a new rotor/distributor cap. All this really did was give my throttle a quicker response, and the tb spacer only took my low end power, and put it into my mid range, so I am not to jumpy on a start anymore but feel it in the mid way rpms.

Army signal geek

Seriously? Forced induction kit for $1500? You will either get a very used kit from ebay, screwed out of your money, or far from a complete kit for that money. Keep saving your cash and keep your eyes open.

Forced induction and low-cost cannot be put in the same sentence unless you are trying to make a joke.

My suggestion.. Be patient. Keep saving your money. As for a FI kit for 1500. I got a used whipple kit from a kid in alaska for 1800. Got it and it was complete and looks hardly used. Had it sent out to have it cheked out and there was nothing wring with it. I did replace the bearings just because they had already torn into it. but I could have just bolted and go. That being said I am waiting to install untill my new engine gets finished. It should be dyno'ed the end of thw week then a few days to get to me :)
    [FOR SALE] 93 yukon 2 DR 4x4 TBI|383 Fully Forged, Rollered AFR Heads intercooled F1 procharger| Hooker LT's True 2.5 Duals|4:10's Eaton Locker.

Other ride
    93 Jeep YJ 4.6 whippled stroker,Accel DFI and WB. Tuned by yours truly (sucked 2 valves) blown 5.3 in the works

Army signal geek

Exactly...patience and prudence. Every now and then you can find a good deal and get a system for a low cost. There are extremely great deals on good used systems from time to time. My point was not to flame, but to urge caution on the notion of going forced induction on an extremely tight budget.

The overused notion of "You can have cheap, reliable, and fast...but only two of those at a time" is extremely true.

You are correct :) And you really dont want to do it twice. I am going through that right now. It did give me a resons to put the parts in the motor that I should have from the beginning but it did cost me some time and alot of money
    Last edited by the_target; 10-17-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Other ride

So tell me this. If i was to upgrade supercharger/turbo/or just the top end of my engine, is it going to be worth it in the end? Im sure gas is gonna be drained, but if it is tuned porperly then what kind of gas mileage should I expect. Rite now I get 11.3 mpg highway and about 9 mpg city, that is horrible!!!!!

I get 13 city and 15 highway with mine... It's just going to depend on how heavy your foot is.

Quote Originally Posted by Justv610
    So tell me this. If i was to upgrade supercharger/turbo/or just the top end of my engine, is it going to be worth it in the end? Im sure gas is gonna be drained, but if it is tuned porperly then what kind of gas mileage should I expect. Rite now I get 11.3 mpg highway and about 9 mpg city, that is horrible!!!!!
    So your mileage is in the ****ter and you want forced induction? Seriously, listen to everyone else on here and build it from the bottom up. Honestly, it sounds like you're not qualified enough to do these sorts of mods to your truck. Even if you bought and installed that kit who's gonna tune it? How will you get enough fuel to it? Even if that BS Ebay kit didn't suck, that's not even half of what you'd spend getting it set up. Start with the simple stuff: exhaust, intake, tune, and the little crap like low temp thermostats electric fans and UD pulleys. Don't get all your parts from Ebay because a lot of them are nothing but junk no matter what your friends tell you. We're not here to hate you off the forum, but you need to crawl before you can walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quyonmob View Post
    Straight pipes are for peckerheads. . .
    '98 K1500 ECSB 5.7, 4L80E, 14BSF, 4.10/G80, 7,200# GVW springs, 8600# GVW calipers/pads, 411/EFI Live, TB mod, UDs, block, crank, 285s, and a lot of stuff on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Justv610
    I am having trouble finding out what I need done to my 94 gmc k1500 pickup. I plan to get a twin turbo kit which I found on ebay, but need help finding out what I must do to my engine so it can support the turbo without engine failure of some sort. Please email me at justv218@yahoo.com with support information. Thanks
    Dude the best thing you can do is get as far away from an ebay twin turbo kit as you can. Your NOT gonna find a decent single turbo kit for $1500 or less either. What are you gonna do about getting fuel to the engine? Bigger injectors, fuel pump. What are you going to do about your trans? Stockers dont like the added power of a turbo or supercharger and will puke on you real quick. Forced induction and budget dont fit in the same sentence either. If you wanna do it reliable and right its gonna cost some serious $$$$$$$$. I would start with intake, headers, exhaust, underdrive pulleys and a re-tune of some sort. You could always put a cam in down the road as well. Or theres the nitrous route.
    2006 K1500 Vortec Max CCSB 6.0 4.10's, Nelson SD Tune, Trick Turbo kit T76 @ 8psi, 60lb/hr injectors, 4" duramax exhaust, snowmeth stage 2 kit, FLT Level 5 4L70E, Vig 2600, 40K trans cooler. 13.2 @ 100.5mph 1.8 60ft

It sound to me like you need a
    http://www.electricsupercharger.com/...4&vehicle=3064

This will probably make some great power and increase your gas milage sinificantly, my friend has one one his go-kart and now he can beat a Civic SI!!

Sarcasm...

Thanks xZoomerZx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast