GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

96-02 350ci. I need the truth on the crank sensor

This is a discussion on 96-02 350ci. I need the truth on the crank sensor within the Port Injection (96+ / OBD-II) forums, part of the Performance category; Hey Guys, 1996-2002 Vortec 350 L31. I need the truth on crank position sensors, CKP from here on. I have ...

96-02 350ci. I need the truth on the crank sensor

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey Guys,

1996-2002 Vortec 350 L31. I need the truth on crank position sensors, CKP from here on.

I have been reading so many opposing posts on CKP's... most builders agree that the CKP is for misfire detection only and doesn't play a role in Fuel injection control.

Yet GM advertises the CKP allows for more precise fuel control and better performance & MPG.

I've read posts on all kinds of automotive forums, some guys say they had a hard start, backfiring, rough running engine due to a malfunctioning CKP.

Other guys say their engine starts, idles, runs just fine yet they have a MIL with some sort of a CKP code involved.

LT1 guys claim they remove the CKP reluctor ring to run double roller chains. And GM even has a variant of the Vortec 350 L31 plastic timing chain cover with the sensor port plugged.

So, whats the deal guys? Does the Vortec 350 need a CKP to start, run, drive and function properly?

If I write out all the CKP related codes via HPTuners can a fuel injected L31 engine run without the CKP?

Cheers ~Mykk
    Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 07-29-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Re: 96-02 350ci. I need the truth on the crank sensor

GM makes a version of the plastic L31 timing cover for crate engines that wont need the CKP sensor. EGx. ZZ4, Ramjet 350 etc. That cover with the CKP sensor hole plugged is not for L31 Vortec 350 engines used in van and trucks/suvs.

CKP is used in conjection with CMP to properly fuel and time ignition for the engine.

Having or not having CKP codes will not allow or disallow the engine from running, having or not having a properly functioning CKP sensor will.

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

IMHO a CKP is more accurate for engine rpms since your actually measuring it at the crank(no variables, like in the timing chain
    while coasting and accelerating)

A crank sensor is a component used in an internal combustion engine to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft. This information is used by engine management systems to control ignition system timing and other engine parameters. Before electronic crank sensors were available, the distributor would have to be manually adjusted to a timing mark on the engine.

The crank sensor can be used in combination with a similar camshaft position sensor to monitor the relationship between the pistons and valves in the engine, which is particularly important in engines with variable valve timing. It is also commonly the primary source for the measurement of engine speed in revolutions per minute.

A camshaft sensor is used for ignition/fueling SYNCHRONIZATION. The cam sensor is used to detect the position of the cam in relationship to the crankshaft.
    Last edited by NEUMANNZZ; 07-30-2008 at 05:20 PM.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Thanks guys, I found the answer I was looking for.

The L31 will not function without a CKPS

I'm planning on running a vortec 96-02 engine, in my 95 Tahoe with TBI. I am currently researching many questions.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this crank sensor hole is also one of my questions.

Will I need the cover with the sensor on a truck that has the old TBI system, with the older ECM(non vortec)?

Do the trucks with TBI, use the crank/cam sensor?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by swanie2000 View Post
    I'm planning on running a vortec 96-02 engine, in my 95 Tahoe with TBI. I am currently researching many questions.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this crank sensor hole is also one of my questions.

Will I need the cover with the sensor on a truck that has the old TBI system, with the older ECM(non vortec)?

Do the trucks with TBI, use the crank/cam sensor?

Michael
    Youy will have to, plug that hole with an old CKP sensor,

OR

go get the plastic front timing cover from a GM crate engine that doesnt have that hole. ZZ4, ZZ383, HT383, but not an HT383E has it WILL have teh hole.

You dont need the CKP snensor as teh TBI setup doenst use either a CKP sensor.

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Thanks for the fast reply,

That is now one less question I need answered.

I have seen the cover with and without the sensor hole. I just wasn't sure which one to get.

I will get the cover without the sensor, thanks again!

Michael