GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Hypertech 5.3L tuning for my Avalanche?

This is a discussion on Hypertech 5.3L tuning for my Avalanche? within the Port Injection (96+ / OBD-II) forums, part of the Performance category; I have seen these portable tuners, but are they worth it? How easy are they to use? i have a ...

Hypertech 5.3L tuning for my Avalanche?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have seen these portable tuners, but are they worth it?

How easy are they to use?

i have a 5.3L in my Avalanche...any experiences with Hypertech and the 5.3L greatly appreciated.

Im only loooking for a little more ummf, since i lost some speed with the 24s

Thanks in Advance!
    Last edited by WIDE_NALGAS; 04-04-2009 at 05:01 PM.

96 850ci V12
    04 Avalanche on 24s
    RIP 93 CrewCab Dually

Re: Hypertech 5.3L tuning for my Avalanche?

You dont want a hypertech. What you want is a custom mail order tune like a Nelsons, Black Bear, Westers etc.
    1999 Chevrolet K2500 350/4L80E/NP243/9.5" 14B
    3" Body Lift with 285/75/16 Cooper St's on NBS alloy wheels
    Cherry Bomb turbo mufflers
    Auto Meter Trans Temp Gauge
    Nelsons 89 octane Tune
    8' Western Plow

2001 Polaris Xplorer 400 2 stroke 4x4 - Bone stock

S/C Z71

Junk. Get a custom tune.

I know Hypertech needs a cooler thermostat, doesnt make any sense to me.. I have a superchips cortex tune in mine, works great. IDK, everyone seems to be really fond of mailorder tunes but I chose the handheld route because I found it easiest (especiallly with our emmisions requirements here in CA) wanted something I can uninstall in a couple minutes...
    2006 Z71 ECSB LT2, L33, G80
    Pro Comp leveling kit w/Bilstein 5100s
    BFG KOs
    Flowmaster 40 single
    K&N FIPK
    Optima red top
    lots of tint.

05 Honda CRF450R usual racing upgrades

I ran Hypertech on my 03 5.3 and was happy with the results. They tend to be more conservative than other handheld tunes... And no you don't need a lower stat to run it.

I do like the Diablo sport better though. It has ALOT more options to customize and tweek than hypertech does along with Torque management controls.

Steven

2007 GMC Sierra SLT Vmax 4.10 gears, Boss MT100 20x8.5 wheels/Cooper Zeon LTZ tires, Extang Bed cover,
    GMC Bedrug, Line of Fire, Denali Grill, GM Performance Intake, Corsa Sport Dual Exhaust, and DiabloSport Predator.

I did some reaserch and plan on getting the diablo sport preditor,you can adjust many things and later on you can download a custom tune and load it to the preditor then truck.The custom tunes are great but the preaditor can put the stock tune right back if need be and you can try differant settings any time you want.

My buddy is a professional custom tuner. He has looked at the files for diablo and hypertechs and said they are garbage. He said there is little if any real power gains. The only real thing you can do is change shift points. Heres an examle. Another buddy has a 03 5.3L with a the full bore tune from diablo predator. I have a 03 4.8 with a custom tune. I beat him 0-60. I now have throttle response, which he still doesnt. And I beat him in the 1/4. My truck pulls the same trailer way better. And I use less fuel doing it. Get a Custom Tune. Dont waste your money. And most tuners will agree to put the stock tune back in, whenever you need it for nothing. Atleast mine does. But Why would you want to.
    Last edited by 87stocker; 06-17-2009 at 09:38 PM.

My former boos had a 2005 Avalanche with the 5.3 and used Bullydog on his. It made a huge difference in his power. His was a 4x4 too. I have a 2004 Suburban 4x4 now and just got a Superchips hoping to help my fuel mileage out but I dont know if it's helping yet.

You don't get it. Handheld tuners are JUNK JUNK JUNK. So you lose the TM, yeah the truck feels faster but that's because it's now getting 100% of the crap factory tune that's actually in there. Couple that with proper AFR's and optimized timing and your truck will really rock. Handhelds give you only a fraction of what's left on the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quyonmob View Post
    Straight pipes are for peckerheads. . .
    '98 K1500 ECSB 5.7, 4L80E, 14BSF, 4.10/G80, 7,200# GVW springs, 8600# GVW calipers/pads, EFI Live, TB mod, UDs, block, crank, 285s, and a lot of stuff on the shelf.

speedracer326 that is what I was trying to say but alot nicer. Thanks that better than what I said. JUNK JUNK JUNK is exactly what a handheld tuner is. It only expands on a factory tune. It doesnt go further. Get a custom tune you will not be disapointed and it costs the same most times.
    Last edited by 87stocker; 07-02-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Not Really Bob

Handhelds are JUNK JUNK JUNK! these guys are right, i've used Hypertech and Diablosport when i was younger, dumb, and uniformed. The Hypertech did nothing noticeable besides raising the shift points. I felt a small increase with the Diablosport, but it was nothing in comparison to what my custom tune from Nelson gave me. I know we all think it's fun to play with the little programmer and "tune your truck all by yourself." But in the end, if you are serious about gaining performance in your truck than you will wind up selling the handheld for half of what you paid, and getting a custom tune.
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

glad I found this, I was looking for such a thing. My truck makes me feel like I'm 80. The engine hours combined with mileage comes out that the previous owner had an avg speed of 28mph! and it seems the truck is more interested in keeping that than letting me have any power. Any time it does downshift it only does it for a second and then goes back. I'm getting a little tired of that.

Any word on Nelson's and emissions? I can't be shipping an ECU off twice a year to be flashed just to pass.. and I dont want to run premium either.
    2010 GMC Sierra ECSB All Terrain - 2" RC leveled
    1957 Chevy belair 4 door sedan

Not Really Bob

Nelson does okay work. But after being on here, it seems that Justin from Blackbear Performance is just as good if not better(http://blackbearperformance.com/). And yes you can get an 87 0r 89 octane tune. As for emissions, do they have a sniffer test where your at? Or do they plug a scanner into the OBDII port? Either way you should still pass with a custom tune.
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

I dunno what a sniffer test is. My primary driver is not registered in this county lol.

but they do hook up a tube to the exhaust and idle it while they check the odb for codes.
    2010 GMC Sierra ECSB All Terrain - 2" RC leveled
    1957 Chevy belair 4 door sedan