GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1996 C2500 light duty 5.7 Vortec

This is a discussion on 1996 C2500 light duty 5.7 Vortec within the Port Injection (96+ / OBD-II) forums, part of the Performance category; I have the truck described in the name. What can anyone tell me about this truck as in gears, transmission, ...

1996 C2500 light duty 5.7 Vortec

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have the truck described in the name. What can anyone tell me about this truck as in gears, transmission, etc. I'm new to trucks was mainly a jeep person before

I would also like to know what the best tune would be this is my daily driver

Re: 1996 C2500 light duty 5.7 Vortec

Being a light duty c2500 I would think it has a 6 lug SF 14 bolt rear end (9.5 inch). For gears I would be willing to bet it has 3.42's but that can be checked easily enough with the RPO codes. I'm not sure about the tranny. Possibly a 4L60e if it's auto or nv3500 if a manual. As far as a daily driver tune you can't go wrong with Black Bear Performance.

What kind of mileage is on the truck? Know any history on it?
    1997 383 4x4 - Toy
    1998 Tahoe 2wd - DD

It has 160k on it and it was owned by a telephone company before I got it and had all maintenance records with it. It gets about 14 mpg.

Also if I do the 411 swap will I be able to use the programmers for newer model trucks like an Edge

And why does it have 2 batteries

Re: 1996 C2500 light duty 5.7 Vortec

I would guess that it had two batteries because equipment might have been run off of the truck since it was a fleet vehicle. Most of these trucks came with a battery tray or a little storage box on the driver side so it was relatively easy and maybe even a factory option to have two batteries on the truck. You could probably look at how it is wired up and remove the second battery I would think.

As far as the 411 swap goes, I don't have definite knowledge on that but I don't think it would work since the programmer would be for a completely different engine.
    1997 383 4x4 - Toy
    1998 Tahoe 2wd - DD