If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

First rebuild. 400 sbc .060over

This is a discussion on First rebuild. 400 sbc .060over within the Small Block forums, part of the Performance category; So as the title show, I just last weekend tore heart out of my baby, it ran fine it just ...

First rebuild. 400 sbc .060over

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    So as the title show, I just last weekend tore heart out of my baby, it ran fine it just smoked. It was bought 20 years ago rebuilt and has only had 2000 miles since then and started somewhat frequently. Well Anyways.. its a 2 bolt main, it has one slightly bent valve or just the seat, it has been bored over .060 so its been thru hell, and there Is very few vertical lines in the cylinders.. but I took the bottom end out too. Now I need to know all of your opinions on my block, but id really rather keep it I don't really plan to make a HP monster or anything. But my biggest questions come around the time im looking at parts to order! I plan on re honing it, rings, bottom end seals, and then all the gaskets. Any suggestions???

Re: First rebuild. 400 sbc .060over

If it will clean up with a hone then run it. What are you questioning about parts exactly?
    SOLD: 04 z71, 3200 circle D, longtubes, Corsa sport, TBG 4l60e, 93 BB tune, 4500K HIDS, and other aftermarket stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 03SMURF View Post
    you have the meanest sounding 5.3 I have ever heard in person

Quote Originally Posted by kemble View Post
    If it will clean up with a hone then run it. What are you questioning about parts exactly?
    I suppose this post was a little.... Pointless huh. Uhhh I have a few actual questions now. If I replace the cam is it necessary to replace the springs..? And how do I order rod and main bearings? I wouldnt be so cautious but on the rod bearings I noticed .020 on them.. not sure what's over and what's under ??

Thanks

First off, depending how long the motor sat/mileage/etc and what cam you choose will determine if you need new springs or not. Old springs get weak over time, especially when not cycled.
    New cam = new lifters (unless it is a roller setup in which case you can usually re-use what you have). Do NOT order bearings until you measure everything and know exactly what you need.
    2002 Tahoe Z71
    1996 Yukon - 350/4L60E 230k+ mile beater truck
    1994 Camaro Z28 - Forged 355 LT1/T56/Fogger System; Drag Car
    1994 Camaro Z28 - LT1/4L60E Bone Stock
    1985 AM General M923A1

Yeah the cam I order came with lifters, its an edelbrock street/strip not sure of a part number off hand, and i'll probably just take the bearings into the parts store and have them decide what's needed

If there is .020 on the bearing it means the crank has been turned down .020" at some point. If the block is going to the machine shop for any reason i'd have the cylinder walls checked to be sure they are still round, .060 on a 400 is a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ChevyC10 View Post
    Yeah the cam I order came with lifters, its an edelbrock street/strip not sure of a part number off hand, and i'll probably just take the bearings into the parts store and have them decide what's needed

Quote Originally Posted by 83ChevyC10 View Post
    Don't take them to a parts store. Most of those guys are about as knowledgeable as your average internet forum member.

If you can't measure it yourself, go to a machine shop with the motor, crank, rods and main caps.
    2002 Tahoe Z71
    1996 Yukon - 350/4L60E 230k+ mile beater truck
    1994 Camaro Z28 - Forged 355 LT1/T56/Fogger System; Drag Car
    1994 Camaro Z28 - LT1/4L60E Bone Stock
    1985 AM General M923A1

Pretty much... the crank/rod journals need to be measured, and it's best a machine shop check the cylinders both for thickness and straightness. My cousin had a +.060 400 some 10-15 years ago and lost the engine thanks to a chunk coming off the top of the cylinder right at the deck... cylinder walls were too thin.

'92 Sierra (TBI 383/Vortecs/Comp 08-412-8/EBL/4L60/3.08s), '78 Malibu (Vortec'd 350/4-speed/2.29s), '87 Pontiac Fiero GT (2.8 v6/5-speed)