If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

92 Chevy Truck 350 Tbi To 350 Carb

This is a discussion on 92 Chevy Truck 350 Tbi To 350 Carb within the TBI Tuning (87-95 / OBD I) ECM/PCM forums, part of the Performance category; I have a 92 Chevy 1500 Stepside Single Cab truck (Manual stock 5 speed manual transmission). I have recently replaced ...

92 Chevy Truck 350 Tbi To 350 Carb

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 92 Chevy 1500 Stepside Single Cab truck (Manual stock 5 speed manual transmission). I have recently replaced the original stock engine(350) with a 330HP GM Performance engine. After having this engine installed, I now find out that I can't get the TBI, computer, and the CAM in the engine to run correctly. Every engine shop tells me that in order to get the engine to run correctly, I will have to change to a carb or replace the cam which would void my warranty. So I replaced the TBI with a holley 650 carb. I also had a fuel regulator installed because of the TBI fuel pump.
    My problem now is that whenever I shift and accelerate the throttle respone has hesitation. Anytime I accelerate, the hesitation is there and then it picks up. I've been told by several shops that the fuel pressure is fine. I have changed everthing but the fuel pump that was the original TBI fuel pump.

NEED HELP????. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tbi-MAX

Re: 92 Chevy Truck 350 Tbi To 350 Carb

welcome to FSC...

dude you just got stiffed for your money, you should have come here 1st before listening to a shop and them telling you to go to carb...

the 350HO engine can easily be made to run with TBI pcm and stuff... Im sure 91chevZ71 will chime in and help you in a few. further more if your trans is the 4l60e then its confused as hell on what to do. i think the 60e started in 93, but who knows if it had that option in 92. then again your trans cable could be all off as well..

all you had to do to begin with was install the engine:

then get a vortec to carb/tbi intake manifold, and/or a tbi adapter plate.. simple as can be! then you would have got a mail order or local dyno tune of the pcm. computers learn to do whatever they are programed to do... its plenty bigger and badder engines running off the pcm and tbi stuff.
    Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 02-29-2008 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog2733
    Every engine shop tells me that in order to get the engine to run correctly, I will have to change to a carb or replace the cam which would void my warranty.
    Not true, it will run very well on TBI or Port Fuel.
    Last edited by Blue71; 02-29-2008 at 06:02 AM.
    93 Z71, 350HO, $OD 7427 in PFI mode, LC-1 WB, Hooker ProComps, MSD, 4L60E 2500 Stall, 4:56 Gears on 33's

yea, you got some bad info about the tbi. there isnt to many shops that tune tbi so they just say it cant be done. there are lots of people running that exact engine with tbi in trucks and camaros. putting on a carb is like going backwards. it will run better, start easier, and get better miliage with the tbi (if tuned properly). as far as the hesitation with the carb, it just might need a jet change. if its not popping thru the carb on hesitation, it could be to rich, like to much pump shot. what did you do with the ignition after you got rid of the tbi? you probably just put a regular one in? what is your timing at with the new dizzy? where is your timing coming in at. maybe you just dont have it coming in soon enough.
    95 1/2 ton short bed, 350 .02 over,world torquer s/r heads,edelbrock 3704 manifold, comp roller 210/214 (.510,.472) 114 sep, comp pro magnum roller rockers, 2" tbi, 65lbs injectors, walbro 190 pump, ceramic coated shortie headers. msd blaster coil.

I still have the TBI intake for the Vortec heads and I keep all the TBI parts when it was converted.

Do you recommend going back with the TBI setup. Are there any shop recommendations that may convert my truck back to the TBI thats in the Albany Georgia area.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog2733
    I still have the TBI intake for the Vortec heads and I keep all the TBI parts when it was converted.

Do you recommend going back with the TBI setup. Are there any shop recommendations that may convert my truck back to the TBI thats in the Albany Georgia area.
    I would go back to TBI. The best decision I made was sticking with the TBI when I built my engine. I don't regret it one bit.

Aany shop recommendations that may convert my truck back to the TBI thats in the Southeast Georgia area.

Formerly Redneck Rebel Dale Gribble's Avatar

Subscribing to this thread... I also have a 92 stepside w/ 5 speed manual and am interested in that GMPP 350HO
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
    ~ Thomas Jefferson