GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

TBI fuel pressure adapter

This is a discussion on TBI fuel pressure adapter within the TBI Tuning (87-95 / OBD I) ECM/PCM forums, part of the Performance category; I tried searching but couldn't find a good thread on which is the best. Would you guys rather use the ...

TBI fuel pressure adapter

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I tried searching but couldn't find a good thread on which is the best. Would you guys rather use the adapter that goes up near the throttle body or the one that goes in place of the fuel filter?
    1994 K1500 Z71

Re: TBI fuel pressure adapter

I looked at both recently. Personally I decided that taking the fuel filter off every time I needed to check the Fuel Pressure would be a major PIA. I purchased this one off EBAY from TBIParts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TBI-T...Q5fAccessories

I like the fact that I can check my fuel pressure without taking anything apart. I do have to get a 0-15 psi gauge instead of the 0 - 100 psi gauge on the fuel pressure tester that I use.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    I looked at both recently. Personally I decided that taking the fuel filter off every time I needed to check the Fuel Pressure would be a major PIA. I purchased this one off EBAY from TBIParts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TBI-T...Q5fAccessories

I like the fact that I can check my fuel pressure without taking anything apart. I do have to get a 0-15 psi gauge instead of the 0 - 100 psi gauge on the fuel pressure tester that I use.
    Cool. I looked at that one too. So it doesn't leak or anything? Did you find a cap for the valve or just not worry about it?
    1994 K1500 Z71

Go on Actron's website and you will find that fitting cost around 8 dlls plus shipping.
    87 Chevy Shortbed -383 ,serpentine belt set up,vortec heads,Lt4 HotCam,Edel 2912 inatake,Holley TB,Gm 80lbs Injectors,
    stock ignition with MSD coil,700r4 Probuilt Autos shift kit,still tuning with EBL

They're coming for us 1988 GMC 355's Avatar

anyone have a suggestion for a good guage to use on that port?

wiould you leave it permanently or just to check it sometimes

'95 GMC Z71|L05|GT4|Yukon 17s|Belltech|Purple Keys|FastChip|Hedman|Borla |XtremeFI|Goodmark|Kenwood|Memphis|Ultimate TBI Mods|E Fan|
    Yes it is a 4x4, yes it is lowered

5200 lbs. at 13.0/17.0MPG
    1988 GMC SOLD

For tuning purposes I installed a cab gauge.
    89 K3500 RCLB- Fat Snarling RAT..Scat/Eagle/Crower/Crane/Edelbrock/MSD..TBI/EBL/TH400/Dana 60

The Actron site shows the fitting being used on the filter. Can you use it up by the TBI unit as well?
    1994 K1500 Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Biggreentank View Post
    The Actron site shows the fitting being used on the filter. Can you use it up by the TBI unit as well?
    why not its the same size line and fitting at the filter as it is going in to the back of th TB

'95 GMC Z71|L05|GT4|Yukon 17s|Belltech|Purple Keys|FastChip|Hedman|Borla |XtremeFI|Goodmark|Kenwood|Memphis|Ultimate TBI Mods|E Fan|

1988 GMC SOLD

I used this in line adapter that installs at the throttle body & the pressure line. I installed a 30 psi gauge from Summit. I know what my fuel pressure is just by looking under the hood. You can also install a external gauge, but if you mount it in the cab you need use a isolator. Kinda pricey at $39.00 but worth every penny to me. You can find it here http://marine-performance-parts.com/...843505774.aspx

do you have pics or parts or a write up I could use for reference i would like to do this because I have the adapter that is posted above but dont know how to mount and under hood guage in in cab guage

1988 GMC SOLD

You remove the fuel line adapter at the throttle body & install this in its place. Then you just put a gauge in one of the ports. You can plug the other one or use it for a gauge inside the cab. Not very good pics but you can get the idea.

I like that idea and its a CLEAN install I just wish I could use the existing valve I have

1988 GMC SOLD

I just bought the one from actron it was $5.36 plus shipping part # 0180-000-1465. It goes between tb and line. I seen the same one on ebay for $24.99

does NAPA or auto part stores carry that adapter??

autozone does

1988 GMC SOLD

I used a fuel pressure test fitting off of a CPI S10 Blazer on my old 90 Z71. It has the female inlet threads to match the supply line to the TBI unit with a male barb fitting on the other side. I flared a section of fuel line from a donor to connect from the TBI unit to the CPI fuel pressure adapter and tied them together with EFI rated fuel line & clamps. Cost less than $5.

You can pull the schrader valve out and hard plumb a gauge to it or leave the valve in and connect your test gauge to when needed.

These things are easy to find at the pull it yourself wrecking yards as most every CPI Blazer has the upper intake torn off from people looking for a good injector spider. They already did most of the work needed to get the thing out of the back of the lower intake.

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Any regular fuel pressure gauge that is meant to test Vortec's and what have you will work with this Tee, since it has the standard fuel pressure test valve design, even that cheap piece of crap from Harbor Freight for $20 - you know, the design that says it tests most stuff EXCEPT the GM TBI system.

And what 383TBI said, get the fitting from Actron for cheap, instead of getting chumped paying more (like I did.)

OR....get the Actron CP7838 test kit so you get the gauge AND the fitting in one package, along with some other misc. bits for testing other systems, about $40-$60 depending on where you buy.

I like this setup because I see no reason to leave a fuel pressure gauge on it full-time. Even installed, it swivels fairly easily if you need it to.

Richard
    Last edited by someotherguy; 09-25-2010 at 02:37 PM.