***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intake manifold for vortec heads and tbi

This is a discussion on Intake manifold for vortec heads and tbi within the TBI Tuning (87-95 / OBD I) ECM/PCM forums, part of the Performance category; Im just wondering what people are having the best luck with the GMPP intake or buying a carb intake and ...

Intake manifold for vortec heads and tbi

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Im just wondering what people are having the best luck with the GMPP intake or buying a carb intake and adapter for tbi. As far as price its alot cheaper to go carb style but im wanting to know if there is any advantage to buying the GM performance intake. I have a 355 c.i., tbi, vortec heads, 510 lift comp cam, 9.5;1 compression.

Re: Intake manifold for vortec heads and tbi

I went with the GMPP intake, mainly for the EGR valve port, so as to pass smog. Not sure, but I don't think the other option has the EGR port?

yeah the other doesnt have it but i doent have to worry about smog in Ks. lol but How do you like the GMPP? any limitation or restrictions you feel?

My GMPP intake seems to be just fine, but I still haven't gotten the little bug out of the idle. Have someone working on it, and it looks like we are one the right track, hopefully soon it will have the smooth as glass idle a stock truck would have. Right now, I get a small hiccup in the idle, every 1.5 seconds or so, and it seems the longer it sits and idles, the worse it will get. Not sure if this is related to the intake, my tuner doesn't believe so. Anyway, I am glad I spent the extra money, and got the right part, as close to OEM as possible,(made by GM).

Awesome thanks for the help! Hope you get it smoothed out soon!

You won't like my tastes Swims350's Avatar

there's really only the gm one but it aint cheap, best thing is just buy the vortec intake for carb and then buy the carb to tbi adapter plate, alot cheaper

Chris

88 K1500 RCSB work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by swanie2000 View Post
    My GMPP intake seems to be just fine, but I still haven't gotten the little bug out of the idle. Have someone working on it, and it looks like we are one the right track, hopefully soon it will have the smooth as glass idle a stock truck would have. Right now, I get a small hiccup in the idle, every 1.5 seconds or so, and it seems the longer it sits and idles, the worse it will get. Not sure if this is related to the intake, my tuner doesn't believe so. Anyway, I am glad I spent the extra money, and got the right part, as close to OEM as possible,(made by GM).
    anything done to your bottom end, i put a HV oil pump and i was doing the same thing, switched it out to stock and it fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arealgloza View Post
    anything done to your bottom end, i put a HV oil pump and i was doing the same thing, switched it out to stock and it fixed it.
    your oil pump has nothing to do with idle...

1978 K20 RCLB, 400 SBC, 4-Speed, Lifted
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Coupe

Everyone has had a problem with the vortec heads before tuning. The best place to start would be to look into the factory Prom of a 96 G2500 van, which was a factory Vortec TBI.
    1986 K10 Suburban
    350,TBI
    CFM-Tech Super Sucker
    Jet AFPR
    TBI heads
    Comp 12-388-4(260H)cam
    3" Walker quietflow SS exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by BlacK20 View Post
    your oil pump has nothing to do with idle...
    Well you are dead wrong about that. The drag produced by a HV pump can lower idle, then it is up to the ECM to try to correct it.
    Nutkick?

Habitual Troublemaker cancritter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1.721afr View Post
    Well you are dead wrong about that. The drag produced by a HV pump can lower idle, then it is up to the ECM to try to correct it.
    noted for future refrence
    [Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
    91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
    07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT

Hv oil pumps pump the lifters open a tad at idle causing a vaccum leak and trucks rpm move up and down...mine was doin the same thing till i swapped oil pumps..

This is very good info, never considered the oil pump as a possible issue. I will look into this, and pass the info on to my tuner.

"The best place to start would be to look into the factory Prom of a 96 G2500 van, which was a factory Vortec TBI."

I didn't know the 1996 G2500 van was a factory Vortec TBI? I was under the impression that there never was a FACTORY vortec TBI. Will have to research this further. You wouldn't happen to have the BIN of this mysterious factory vortec TBI, would you?
    Last edited by swanie2000; 02-10-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Hv oil pumps pump the lifters open a tad at idle causing a vaccum leak and trucks rpm move up and down...mine was doin the same thing till i swapped oil pumps..
    Are you saying you have a Vortec TBI as well? AND swapping out the HV pump for a stock pump fixed the stumble/hiccup in the idle?

Quote Originally Posted by 1.721afr View Post
    thats a long shot, just imho, sounds more like the guy changed the oil pump and fixed his idle when he put the distributor back in.

1978 K20 RCLB, 400 SBC, 4-Speed, Lifted
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by swanie2000 View Post
    Are you saying you have a Vortec TBI as well? AND swapping out the HV pump for a stock pump fixed the stumble/hiccup in the idle?
    Yes, for me it did. Just finished mine in january
    -black20 i didnt pull the ditributor to swap oil pumps

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The only problem i ran into was the throttle cable bracket i had to order one from summit racing for the intake.

Quote Originally Posted by devinwalterbmx View Post
    Im just wondering what people are having the best luck with the GMPP intake or buying a carb intake and adapter for tbi. As far as price its alot cheaper to go carb style but im wanting to know if there is any advantage to buying the GM performance intake. I have a 355 c.i., tbi, vortec heads, 510 lift comp cam, 9.5;1 compression.
    I think i heard somewhere that there is a limit to vortec heads as far as cam lift goes, i would look into that, but i could be wrong, my cam isnt that mild and i havent had problems tho, i think its a 460-470 i dont remember

I think i heard somewhere that there is a limit to vortec heads as far as cam lift goes, i would look into that, but i could be wrong, my cam isnt that mild and i havent had problems tho, i think its a 460-470 i dont remember
    You are right on the edge at those lift numbers. Isn't wise or advised to go much higher without "mods". Either a retainer ghetto grind, a spring/retainer swapout, or some grinding on the top side of the castings. Also have to watch retainer to guide clearance.

I got my heads done at a machine shop and they ordered my cam for me and said id be good and i made sure to get 1.5 RR so hopefully i don't have a problem.
    91 Ex-cab SB TBI 355 bored .030, 9.5:1 Flat tops, Vortec Heads, Roller Comp Cam, Lunati RR, Summer Intake, TB Spacer w/pod spacer & Ported TB, AFPR, Hedman Hedders LT, 3" Magnaflow, Fully built 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42s w/Eaton LSD

If you don't have to worry about emissions testing just get a carb intake. I'm running a high rise single plane with a square bore tbi adapter. The engine def needed more accel enrichment with that huge plenum,but a single plane is well worth the extra tuning needed imo.
    DD: 1989 Taurus SHO
    Project:1995 ECSB,Auto-5 speed manual conversion,Vortec 357,LT4 Hotcam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast