***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Best performance TBI

This is a discussion on Best performance TBI within the TBI Tuning (87-95 / OBD I) ECM/PCM forums, part of the Performance category; I have a 1988 c1500 that im trying to liven up a bit. Im looking for the best performance TBI ...

Best performance TBI

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 1988 c1500 that im trying to liven up a bit. Im looking for the best performance TBI on stock rebuilt heads. I know about the Holley TBI, but are there any more out there? The upgrades that will be done to my tuck in time will be a full MSD ignition, Comp Cam mother thumper kit with about 480 lift coming with springs lifters and timing chain ect., Comp cam lifters 1.6 (noted why i said rebuilt lol), pulleys, and im putting mid length Flowtec headers and y-pipe with Heartthrob dual out same side before rear axel. Any information will be help I'd really appreciate it.

Re: Best performance TBI

i haven't really herd much good about the holley unit, real expensive and supposedly failure prone injectors. a bored out stock or bigblock unit would probably be best, i have a 46mm bored out unit on mine from ebay sitting on a transdapt spacer (that i bored to 2" to match the intake because i forgot to order a bigblock unit) thats on a holley projection intake

Jut my $.02, but you are not going to be happy with that setup. Full MSD ignition = walking (search forum). Rebuilt stock TBI 193 heads which run out of flow at 4800 rpm coupled with a cam that peaks at 6200 rpm = formula for unhappy owner. If you want to go fast and sound cool, change the heads. If you want to use it like a truck, change the cam. Not trying to discourage you, just telling you that you need to better match your parts.

Jim has good points for sure. I'd figure out what you wanna do with it first (fast or truck or DD or whatever) then you can make a better decision on the parts. MSD - has been known to have issues. GMPP seem to be a little more reliable, if nothing is wrong with stock, don't swap it out, you'll net 0 gain from aftermarket ignition stuff.
    7.4 TBI can be had for $100 if you get lucky, less at a J/Y. Will flow more and last longer than the edelbrock unit, theres a reason they don't make a TBI for us BBC guys, the one they use doesn't outflow what we have stock.
    Another thing to look at with the cam is the LSA, less than 112 will be no fun to tune with your TBI setup (carb swap would be a different story)

Well heres the thing. I just want a little more "umph" out of it but want to do it with some small and mild bolt ons. I am unhappy getting my butt walked on by a stock honda =(. It is my DD but i want to be able to take it to the track and at least get a decent time and be able to take it on back roads and get a tad sideways coming off curves. What I honestly am going towards is like a pro touring truck. But be able to keep street drivability

The best mod you can do is a set of heads, specially if you can get your hands on a set of aluminum heads. It saves tons of weight, dissapates heat better, you can run more timing, and they flow better. Then I'd do the TBI cam from edelbrock or something similar. Best intake you can do is a low rise single plane intake, like the torker II or I think wiend makes one too.

Need to rethink that engine combo. That much cam and TBI heads will make a slug of a truck. Cam will be coming to life when the heads are dying off.

I agree on the best TBI unit being a stock one. The small block units can easy be made to feed 350 hp with an AFPR and an injector swap, the 7.4 unit will feed over 400hp with an AFPR and the right injectors.

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by V3NOM GTO View Post
    The best mod you can do is a set of heads, specially if you can get your hands on a set of aluminum heads. It saves tons of weight, dissapates heat better, you can run more timing, and they flow better. Then I'd do the TBI cam from edelbrock or something similar. Best intake you can do is a low rise single plane intake, like the torker II or I think wiend makes one too.
    you need to figure out what you're running for heads, certain heads need certain intakes to match the ports. recomending a cam from Edelbroke is foolish. there are companies out there who specialize in cam technology, and Edelbroke pays them for a cam, puts it in an Eldelbroke box with a sticker, puts their name on the instructions and expects you to be happy with that... pay the guys doing the r&d to get the latest cam technology, not the crappy reboxed stuff that has been available for 25 years.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

What engine is even in this truck? Stay away from MSD, their plug wires with straight boots will break if removed and their coils are garbage for these trucks. I'd suggest not using an Edelbrock cam, there's much better stuff out there. If it was me, I wouldn't use Comp's Thumper series either. If you want to run a big cam, you're probably gonna have to get a carb and better heads too.

I have a gm factory 350 crate motor from what I am getting from this is get different heads but I mean why get new heads when I'm replacing everything with new and prob. better than factory parts. Springs lifters push rods and new rocker arms, I mean I could prob. go all the way and get new valves and get the heads machined out. Now for the carburetor I do not really want to go to that for the reason of the tbi's fuel economy and simplicity but I have talked to my chevy gear head buddy he's saying to do it now. So... now I don't know what to do. To me having a carb is just kinda a headache for a newbie like me, but I can learn...

A carb is simple and can have the same fuel mileage as TBI. But it requires knowledge and skill. You have to just get started, it's more or less trial and error. I like Holley carbs because they are very easy to work with. Or you can just stay with a mild cam and keep the TBI.

The bottom end basically just pumps air in and out. Heads, intake, exhaust and cam are the majic. Mathching the combination is more important then a paticular part. Head designs are very differant, so a head change would mean matching all other parts.

Your chevy gear head buddy probably is old school and just does not know how to tune an EFI system. It can do all a carb can better. But with all these motor changes it needs to be tuned correctly not just change jets! Then it will run better at all temps, altitudes etc... then a carb could even think of. A carburator is just a controlled fuel leak, like a toilet bowl with jets...
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec Auto PCM Black Box 0411 Swap and RoadRunner!
    1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HyWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG
    1988 Chevy ECLB C2500 5.7L 700R4 2wd ECM 1227747 HyWay Lean Cruise 17.8 MPG

GearHead-EFI.com Tuning, Conversions and Transplants!

he was all for the TBI but he just recently said to change to carb. In keeping my TBI id for sure get a chip burned for my complete setup