GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

usb tuning 93 c1500????

This is a discussion on usb tuning 93 c1500???? within the TBI Tuning (87-95 / OBD I) ECM/PCM forums, part of the Performance category; Well... Cheapest solution: 1 - EEPROM (SST 27SF512) Replace your existing PROM in the MEMCAL with this. 1 - HDR1, ...

Re: usb tuning 93 c1500????

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Well...

Cheapest solution:
    1 - EEPROM (SST 27SF512) Replace your existing PROM in the MEMCAL with this.
    1 - HDR1, this is an adapter to read and with an EEPROM swap write to MEMCALs without removing the EEPROM from it.
    1- ALDL cable, such as an ALDU1+CBL1 combo
    1 - EEPROM programmer, such as a BURN2, or a Willem GQ-3X. This is what you use to read and program PROM/EEPROMs.
    1 - tuning and datalogging program such as Tuner Pro RT.

This solution is the cheapest way to tune, but is also the hardest way, since you can't tune in real time, you datalog, review, make changes program the EEPROM, install, and datalog, review, make changes to the EEPROM, install, and datalog, review, make changes to the EEPROM, install, and datalog, review, make changes to the EEPROM, install, I think you get the picture.

Optional:
    You could add a MEMCAL adapter, that would negate the need to modify the MEMCAL.
    You could also add a WBO2 sensor.
    You could add a ZIF socket to make EEPROM swaps easier.
    You could add a Socket Externder 1.0, to remote mount the EEPROM.
    1 - DIP socket, this could be used in place of the PROM in the MEMCAL. Not needed, if you get a MEMCAL adapter.

So just in the cheapest solution, there's many variables, with what could be added.

Next choice adds real time tuning:
    1- ALDL cable, such as an ALDU1+CBL1 combo
    1 - Emulator, such as an Ostrich 2.0.

Optional:
    1 - MEMCAL adapter, that would negate the need to modify the MEMCAL.
    1 - HDR1, this can also be used to read the original PROM in the MEMCAL.
    You could add a WBO2 sensor
    1 - EEPROM programmer, such as a BURN2 or Willem GQ-3X. This would be used to read the original PROM, and if you so desire, program an EEPROM to use on a more permanent basis than the Emulator. FWIW, I have used an Ostrich 2.0 in my car full time for 4 years, without issue.
    1 - DIP socket, this could be used in place of the PROM in the MEMCAL. Not needed, if you get a MEMCAL adapter.
    You could add a Socket Externder 1.0, to remote mount the EEPROM. I do this in a friend's car, the nice thing is that I can unplug the socket extender and plug my Ostrich directly into the cable, and tune real time then.

So again, there are many optionals with this set-up, the biggest thing this adds is real time tuning. You can make a change and have it uploaded to the PCM instantly to see the results.

Another real time set-up:
    1 - AutoProm, this is a pretty cool device, has a datalogging cable, EPROM Emulator and EEPROM programmer all built into one unit.

Optional:
    You could add a Socket Externder 1.0, to remote mount the EEPROM. I do this in a friend's car, the nice thing is that I can unplug the socket extender and plug my Ostrich directly into the cable, and tune real time then.

This last option is the most expensive, at least as a one time buy, the previous options allowed you to buy it a little at a time if you needed to.
    Use an AutoProm (APU1).
    This option is not much more than using an ALDL cable, Ostrich and EEPROM programmer set-up (price wise), but does add the ability to log 3 extra channels (0 to 5V) that are not in the ALDL datastream, and uses a single USB cable connection to the laptop. The only issue I've come across is that some code (Syclone/Typhoon specifically) has datalogging connection issues, that require a patch to be added to the bin. I don't believe that $OD has this issue, though I have not tried, yet, personally.

Optional:
    You could add a Socket Externder 1.0, to remote mount the EEPROM. I do this in a friend's car, the nice thing is that I can unplug the socket extender and plug my Ostrich directly into the cable, and tune real time then. In the use of the AutoProm, you could unplug the AutoProm and plug in a socket extender, when you're not tuning with an EEPROM of your latest bin programmed to it.

There are yet more options than just these. There is other hardware available, there are other things that could be added, like extra displays. So it really is up to you to do the research and decide what product(s) are right for you.
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 06-30-2012 at 01:05 PM.

i like the second option. it sounds like the real time tuning will be most helpful.
    guess its time to set up the parts list. i also will do the wb02
    on moates.net they have this APU1 AutoProm Package: USB Version
    http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-...b-version.html
    that lists everything you mentioned. would this be the best route to go. except the wide band 02 ill have to do some reading and find out which sensor to buy. how to wire exc. but does this look good?
    thanks for you help!

1993 C1500 5.7 4L60E Shorty headers, Voodoo Cam. Custom Tune.

"Forever Be Strong" {R.I.P Cody Tavenier Brother & Friend 10/20/92 - 09/08/2009 Cancer Sux}

probley a dumb question but since i dont no the answer ill ask. which chip adapter do i need.
    also you mentioned getting the chip extender. maybe i can do that and mount it in the glove box? that would be concealed and easy access. plus its like 20 for the unit and 10 for a 3 foot ribbon cable.

1993 C1500 5.7 4L60E Shorty headers, Voodoo Cam. Custom Tune.

"Forever Be Strong" {R.I.P Cody Tavenier Brother & Friend 10/20/92 - 09/08/2009 Cancer Sux}

In addition to the AutoProm I would also get an HDR1 to read the stock PROM located on the MEMCAL and a G1 MEMCAL adapter. This would make everything Plug 'n' Play.

The AutoProm also includes a license for use with Tuner Pro RT, so no extra expenses for software. (Ostrich 2.0 used to include a TP RT discount price option.)

Oops, I didn't post everything I wanted to in the 3rd option, which is the AutoProm...

To each their own of course, I wanted/needed ease of install which was why I went with the EBL. I would probably do it again even if it meant running a second computer... I would probably put the transmission one elsewhere and leave the engine computer in the stock location... OR I would just get an aftermarket controller, though they are more pricey :/ One plus to that though is they can add the capability of push-button/paddle shifting ;)

'92 Sierra (TBI 383/Vortecs/Comp 08-412-8/EBL/4L60/3.08s), '78 Malibu (Vortec'd 350/4-speed/2.29s), '87 Pontiac Fiero GT (2.8 v6/5-speed)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12