If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

quickest with stock L31 intake ?

This is a discussion on quickest with stock L31 intake ? within the Track / Dyno forums, part of the Performance category; Ok so who is the fastest on here still running the L31 intake? I've been 7.9 in the 1/8th with ...

quickest with stock L31 intake ?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok so who is the fastest on here still running the L31 intake? I've been 7.9 in the 1/8th with mine. And I think I still have a good bit left. Just seeing what kind of times everybody else is running with these out of date piss poor designed things ...
    Last edited by proskreet; 05-21-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Re: quickest with stock L31 intake ?

Post up your mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Berkeley
    I'd better make hay while the sun shines.

Stock bottom end stock heads and stock cam 97k miles
    1.6rr , k&n Cai,pulleys,ported tb,efans,msd6a,tb spacer,msd 8.8 wires,billet dist,long tube headers,turned down spintechs, cat&egr delete,spider upgrade,ported intake runners,3.73s,walbro pump, good tune and 150 shot.

Not bad. You need to throw a cam in there and let 'er rip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Berkeley
    I'd better make hay while the sun shines.

Did someone say ponies? The Fiddle's Avatar

Cam and a mild stall ought to shave a bit more down.
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2/A4. FPFQ'ing the GTO community.
    1999 OBS K1500 Black Bear tuned 383 Z71. 2" rear blocks, Hankook MT's. Still around.

Ive sure been thinking about it alot here lately....
    Last edited by proskreet; 05-07-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Just up the spray. If you are using a wet kit, you're already circumventing one of the isues of thestock intake.

Whats your 60'? I'd really like to see some 1/4 mile numbers.

peace
    PAuly
    Last edited by Pauly; 05-08-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Pauly, that's a 12.40's 1/4 mile.

I smell something.

1.78 and that's pretty much leaving on the button. It's been to the 1/4 but was a crappy track and couldn't spray it out the gate. Best it went was a 13.2. It's wet. I tried dry with piss poor results.
    Without the juice it is a turd.
    if your trying to call bs by saying you smell something anyone on this board is more than welcome to come see it in person. I'm at sea level too I might add.
    Last edited by proskreet; 05-09-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by proskreet View Post
    1.78 and that's pretty much leaving on the button. It's been to the 1/4 but was a crappy track and couldn't spray it out the gate. Best it went was a 13.2. It's wet. I tried dry with piss poor results.
    Without the juice it is a turd.
    if your trying to call bs by saying you smell something anyone on this board is more than welcome to come see it in person. I'm at sea level too I might add.
    Ya I wouldnt run anything too big dry with teh stock poppets. If you had my intake you could run whatever you wish. Your trucks the stepside version of my truck.
    Vortec Stroker has an ecab 2wd with a Vortec 383 with tsock intake, LT4 hotcam kit, Vig TC, 4.30 gears and he has run a 13.5@100mph.
    His combo dynoed at 330rwhp/381rwtq and that was before the Vmax spacer and 4.30 gears.

Must be nice to be at sea level, you've got better air for better performance.

I was curious to see if you made any 1/4 mile passes just because the engine is running twice as long. This helps me prove my guesses that these stock longblocks can take some extra power so long as the a/f is under control.

Did your tune lock the TC at WOT at 75mph in 3rd gear like the stock tune does?

Nice runs.

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

No BS Flag here :) I'm sure he can do much better than 13.2 on a good hookin track. Mine goes 13.6's on just a 50 shot (went 13.9 with stock cam and 50 shot), and his truck is quite a bit lighter than mine.
    proskreet, stock TC?
    Last edited by 96ImpSS; 05-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    '98 XCSB, ZZ4 cam, Tri-Y's, Yank SS3600 TC
    PCMFORLESS.COM 87 octane tune
    14.30 @ 92.2 on motor
    13.47 @ 99.2 w/ a 50 dry shot

'96 ImpalaSS
    10.98 @ 122 NA, 10.35 @ 128 on a 100 shot
    stock bottom LT1

Runs real well for what it is. Im not real sure on the converter. Think its stock. That's why I've gotta pretty much leave on the gas.
    And no it doesn't lock up like the stock tune
    Truck pulls real hard up top. Id like to know what it runs in the 1/4 as well.
    I have a camshaft that's going in it soon. Pretty close to the hotcam

I'm not sure if anyone else has done it but while my intake was off I ported the hell out of those crusty runners. Maybe it helped maybe it didn't.

Runs real well for what it is. Im not real sure on the converter. Think its stock. That's why I've gotta pretty much leave on the gas.
    And no it doesn't lock up like the stock tune
    Truck pulls real hard up top. Id like to know what it runs in the 1/4 as well.
    I have a camshaft that's going in it soon. Pretty close to the hotcam

I'm not sure if anyone else has done it but while my intake was off I ported the hell out of those crusty runners. Maybe it helped maybe it didn't.
    I just started porting out my lower, leveled out the walls to the runners that usually starve for air., will post pics later on. I am usin the standard abrasives kit which is a nice kit for porting. I plan on using the L31 but may get the vmax, cheapest place to get I've found was street side auto $227. If your looking to keep the factory poppets, Arizona TPI sells a 36lb poppet unit, I paid $369. Just got off the phone yesterday with Lonnie Pavtis at Lonnies performance about an upgraded pump for the tahoe, he does the hotwire fuel pumps for the chevys. The factory pump pushes 33gph which is done at 400hp, contrary to what I've read here, and past experience with gm putting in pumps that feed stock with a little leeway over and above that. The one I talked to him about pushes around 55gph enough for what I'm putting in the truck. 13.2 with your truck is fast, what cam are you putting in? I went with the xfi268 buts its a 383. Keep us updated on your cam install. If you can get it fueled correctly its would be good to see it run on the 125 shot. Take care

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe1997 View Post
    I just started porting out my lower, leveled out the walls to the runners that usually starve for air., will post pics later on. I am usin the standard abrasives kit which is a nice kit for porting. I plan on using the L31 but may get the vmax, cheapest place to get I've found was street side auto $227. If your looking to keep the factory poppets, Arizona TPI sells a 36lb poppet unit, I paid $369. Just got off the phone yesterday with Lonnie Pavtis at Lonnies performance about an upgraded pump for the tahoe, he does the hotwire fuel pumps for the chevys. The factory pump pushes 33gph which is done at 400hp, contrary to what I've read here, and past experience with gm putting in pumps that feed stock with a little leeway over and above that. The one I talked to him about pushes around 55gph enough for what I'm putting in the truck. 13.2 with your truck is fast, what cam are you putting in? I went with the xfi268 buts its a 383. Keep us updated on your cam install. If you can get it fueled correctly its would be good to see it run on the 125 shot. Take care
    Boy I must have fuel on the brain, I just noticed you have a walbro and the 150 shot no2, duh. Lol I ported a few superrams, and the tpi units before. Used the sanding rolls and cones and usually finish with the cross hatch for a smooth finish. I know your intake is on the car but can you go into a little detail as to what you cleaned up? I leveled out the wall between 2 and 4, brought it down even with the manifold floor. I will be doin it with 5 and 7. Cleaned up and smoothed all the casting lines and smoothed out the separator walls in the intake. There was such a defined line in the cylinder 4 port I thought it was a crack, took a while with the cartridge roll to smooth it out to see it was a casting line. I'm going to lightly cartridge roll the walls all the way through and finish with a cross hatch which gives a super smooth finish. Anyone who has seen these manifold know there is a ton of rough casting lines. Carbide tips were used for the separator walls. Dam fast truck you have for the stock block.

I wish I would have took pics of mine before I put it back in. It blew my mind how nasty and rough these intakes are. I started off just going to clean up the casting a little but one thing lead to another and I took a good bit out of all the runners and smoothed and polished pretty much the whole thing. even up top around where the spider goes.

I have a pretty laid back job so i brought it to work put it on my desk and went to town. I prolly spent a solid 10-12 hours on it.
    I bought a deburring bit set from harbor freight and went from there. everywhere I saw I could cut a little off, level something out or make something smoother I did it. once I was done with that I went to a finer stone and sanding rolls and smoothed everything out.
    I have to take it off when we put the cam in.. I'll pull it apart and take some pics

Thumbs up Re: quickest with stock L31 intake ?

Here are some pics of mine, Im not done yet.

There posted in reverse order, sorry. I leveled out all the walls. Im going to flapwheel the runners and crosshatch them as well. Ground down all the casting lines, which were all sharp in the middle of the runners. Alot can be cleaned up here. Look simaler to yours? Take care
    Last edited by Tahoe1997; 05-21-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: cant spell

post slips.

yea thats pretty much what I done to mine. when I take it back off I'll take some good pics of it.

I tried scanning a slip but its faded so bad from sitting in the cup holder of the truck it just looks like a yellow peice of paper.
    here is what it says

1.7897-- 60'
    5.1901-- 330'
    7.9614-- 660'
    87.02 660' mph
    that is the best pass it has made and it was done at emerald coast dragway in holt florida this past fall.

yea thats pretty much what I done to mine. when I take it back off I'll take some good pics of it.

I tried scanning a slip but its faded so bad from sitting in the cup holder of the truck it just looks like a yellow peice of paper.
    here is what it says

1.7897-- 60'
    5.1901-- 330'
    7.9614-- 660'
    87.02 660' mph
    that is the best pass it has made and it was done at emerald coast dragway in holt florida this past fall.
    I guess some here dont believe you. I can see it with nos, those that have used it know it works wonders. Are you getting the vmax spacer? Im contemplating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe1997 View Post
    Here are some pics of mine, Im not done yet.

There posted in reverse order, sorry. I leveled out all the walls. Im going to flapwheel the runners and crosshatch them as well. Ground down all the casting lines, which were all sharp in the middle of the runners. Alot can be cleaned up here. Look simaler to yours? Take care
    There is a reason those port dividers stick up so high. I cleaned up my marine intake's casting flash, but left those dividers at stock height, they equal out the runner length.

peace
    PAuly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast