If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Tranny swap? 4L60E or T-56

This is a discussion on Tranny swap? 4L60E or T-56 within the Transmission Tuning. forums, part of the Performance category; Ok here goes. I have a 96 SBRC with a mild 383 4.10 gears and a 5-speed. The tranny is ...

Tranny swap? 4L60E or T-56

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok here goes. I have a 96 SBRC with a mild 383 4.10 gears and a 5-speed. The tranny is shot. I have been considering swapping in a 4L60E, I am aware I will need a lot of parts like column, brake pedal, linkages, etc. I am curious of the differnces in the wiring harness and the problems that are related?
    I have also considered the t-56 as an option. Has anyone done this? What would I do about the shifter and the flywheel? If I am correct they use a different flywheel? And how would I make the speedo work? Decisions, decisions!

Re: Tranny swap? 4L60E or T-56

Go with the T56. You have most of the stuff already there since you have a 5 speed. The T56 is stronger than the 4L60E and it has a double overdrive so you will get a lot better gas mileage with that 383. There is someone on here who has done the swap and has a little writeup about it. I know you will need an LT1 flywheel and starter. Other than that im not sure.
    97 Gmc Sierra 1500
    Current mods: Flowmaster 40's, K&N FIPK, S10 converter, wait4me tune, LT1 fans, 2" drop shackles, Alpine CDA-9856 head unit.

I tried a search on the T-56 swap before starting the thread and had no luck? Any idea where to look?

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...swap-help.html

idk if this will help or not but i was considering to do that swap and i found that on my search
    1993 stepside, 5.7 tbi,cowl hood, headers, wynjammer s/c, 125 shot of nitrous, true duals, super 40 flowmasters, 5 speed tranny,

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...-question.html

also i found this one on my search..
    1993 stepside, 5.7 tbi,cowl hood, headers, wynjammer s/c, 125 shot of nitrous, true duals, super 40 flowmasters, 5 speed tranny,

I'm still trying to get this thing up and running. Havn't had alot of time because of the weather around my area and work. A good investment is the Dakota Digital SGI-5, it'll make calibrating the VSS signal VERY easy, the 700R4 VSS reads at 4000ppm. The T56 VSS reads at like 17000ppm I think. Use a Pro 5.0 short throw with the Hurst shifter arm that I listed in the thread above. The Pro 5.0 is a smooth shifter.
    Last edited by BigRedChvy383; 03-15-2008 at 09:23 PM.
    2004 GMC Sierra, RCSB, 5.3, A4, 3.42s, G80, AEM Brute Force CAI, TB Coolant By-pass, Corsa Sport Cat-back, HP Tuners Pro Suite.

1991 Chevrolet Silverado ECSB - Forged/Brodix/Demon 355, T56, 4.56s, Auburn Pro-Series, NOS Sniper Kit, and some other stuff.

Check out jaguarsthatrun.com or their manual, available at JEGG's: Chevrolet TPI & TBI Engine Swapping,
    Chapter 12—Vehicle Speed Sensors. They also have a chapter about transmission swapping.

I have a 93 Ex cab that had the 4.3, 5 spd. I swapped in a T56 with no trouble at all. The trans mount and frame cross member needed no modifications. I used a flywheel, clutch & bell housing set up from a 95 Camaro. The input & output shafts on the trans were set up for a chevrolet.
    You'll need bucket seats for the interior, see the interior photo at: http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/617351487.html
    There will never be enough time untill there is no time.

Ive done the swap.
    this link is very helpful, a lot of guys did it at PerfTrucks
    http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=381877
    4.8 T56 6 Speed-LS7 Clutch-STS Turbo at 10psi-Comp Cams 220/220 .581 112LSA-Pacesetter LTs w/hi flo cats-4.88 gears-ECTED Locker-Tuned by Nelson Performance

IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THIS!!!