GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Transgo manual stick shift 4L60E install

This is a discussion on Transgo manual stick shift 4L60E install within the Transmission Tuning. forums, part of the Performance category; Hey guys, I've decided to convert my 4L60E to a full manual controlled trans. I had been shifting the trans ...

Transgo manual stick shift 4L60E install

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey guys,

I've decided to convert my 4L60E to a full manual controlled trans. I had been shifting the trans manually by my ratchet shifter anyways, except I was commanding the PCM to electronically shift way early so the trans was forced to hold whatever gear I had the shifter in.

I decided to do it the right way, no more shift solenoids and no more electronically controlled line pressure. Just an instantaneous shift at the command of the ratchet shifter.

It's time's like this I miss working in a full shop with lifts and air tools.

This is my Performabuilt Level 2 Pro Race 4L60E. With a no-name 2800 stall converter.

The transgo 4L60E-3 full manual kit is a fairly extensive install. Aside from some disassembly of the valvebody and the front pump, a hole needs to get drilled in the trans case so the vacuum modulated line pressure solenoid can get manifold vacuum. Since I am not working in a shop anymore, I've hired the work out to the local trans shop. This way I'm assured it'll be done right and will have a warranty in case things don't work as planned. I will sneak by their shop soon and hopefully snap some pics of the trans apart and the kit being installed.

I'll update and report back soon.

In other news, I was recently notified that one of my youtube vids of my Silverado was chosen by flowmaster as the "Show us your Flows" contest winner of the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEXweSgJObc

Cheers ~Mykk
    Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 01-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Re: Transgo manual stick shift 4L60E install

Sick. Love the progression on this truck.

The kit is in the trans, I didn't get to take any pics of the install. Fail, I know. Should have the trans back in the truck today/this eve.

Here are the steps of the install to give you an idea:

Step 1) Second Accumulator/ Discard original springs, install 3 spacers, Piston & Orange spring, do not install gold spacer on piston with 3 legs
    Step 2) Regulator valve. Remove OE regulator valve parts. install new parts furnished
    Step 3) Remove and save original 3-4 spring and install new white spring. install clip from bottom side of valve body
    Step 4) Install new purple 3-2 downshift spring.
    Step 5) Install new solid spring into new 2-3 valve with tang outward. install 2-3 valve, insert small ball and tapered spring
    Step 6) remove and discard original 1-2 shift valve & spring. Install new green spring & new 1-2 shift valve. insert gold ball and small green spring
    Step 7) install orange spring in Accumulator bushing & valve
    Step 8) with a 5/16" drill chamfer both sides of the plate hole "s" by hand. Lay plate on a hard flat surface, insert slug into hole & gently whack it with a hammer on both sides of plate
    Step 9) Referring to seperator plate diagram, drilling various holes in place to specific sizes
    Step 10) 4th accumulator, remove and discard original spring.install original guide pin into case, install yellow spring & piston.
    Step 11) Install Vacuum modulated line pressure solenoid, drill case and install vacuum fitting.

Thes pics of the vacuum port installed in the case are from a member of PT.net on his 4l60e

My trans with the new fitting, I'm excited to see how well the vacuum modulated line pressure works compared to the electronic variant. Before, despite computer tuning on my specific set up, the computer never seemed to know how much 'delevered torque' value was appropriate and had some harsh full pressure shifts at low speed/low throttle

The ratchet shifter:

Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 01-22-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Putting in a transmission, alone, while the truck is a couple inches off the ground. It sucks balls, that is all

The truck is at the trans shop because it only has 1st & 3rd gear. However, getting rid of the electronically controlled line pressure drastically improved the shifting across the board. At low throttle it's a crisp clean shift without any bucking or extreme shaking. Hard throttle shift is aggressive and quick. Looking forward to getting 2nd & 4th gears back, as well as tuning out a few carb hesitation issues.

the sea hates a coward rebelbowtie's Avatar

Acceleration and shifting vids? Very sweet mod.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
    Acceleration and shifting vids?
    Interested in this too.

Whatever happed tith the truck Mykk??

PBA

Did you get the 2-4 band back on the anchor pin?

I still have the truck, it sits in storage in Arizona while I live in Los Angeles. I did end up fixing a few issues, and still need to resolve others. But the trans does have all moving gears.

I need to take care of a line pressure issue, when full manifold vacuum is applied to the line pressure modulator it actually pulls out of gear and acts like it's in neutral or at an idle in gear it acts like your in park until you give it throttle and take away manifold vacuum. Unplug the vacuum line to the modulator and the thing drives and shifts great although a bit harsh. I'll be in Az from June 27 - July 5th and will have a chance to work on it than.

I can make a video when I get to Az at the end of the month.
    Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 05-31-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
    Acceleration and shifting vids? Very sweet mod.
    I didn't get to heavy with the throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ep4vW0UXAM

Geez looks fun.
    06-2wd-4.8-5speed-LR4-Z85-40series-Baja 8s-TrueTrac-4.30gears-J&S Performance Tune
    Quote Originally Posted by kyviabama View Post
    Every guy thinks he has an additional 2".

Where at in AZ? Yours is definitely one of the oddballs with a Gen 1 under the hood... looks good

'92 Sierra (TBI 383/Vortecs/Comp 08-412-8/EBL/4L60/3.08s), '78 Malibu (Vortec'd 350/4-speed/2.29s), '87 Pontiac Fiero GT (2.8 v6/5-speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Doober View Post
    Where at in AZ? Yours is definitely one of the oddballs with a Gen 1 under the hood... looks good
    The truck lives and drives around Prescott Az. It was originally planned as a LU3 4.3L V6 to L31 5.7l swap.... simply adding an engine with two more cylinders and identical fuel injection. Only once I started tearing into it did I learn how wrong I was, and the build went in this direction. And I couldn't be happier having a 'street rod' carbed SBC in my 'muscle' truck.