If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By transbuilderguy
  • 1 Post By Fast305
  • 1 Post By transbuilderguy

4L60e self rebuild for a van

This is a discussion on 4L60e self rebuild for a van within the Transmission Tuning. forums, part of the Performance category; I am going to rebuild my 4L60E for my conversion van. I am looking for advice on what parts to ...

4L60e self rebuild for a van

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I am going to rebuild my 4L60E for my conversion van. I am looking for advice on what parts to use. I have a 13 foot travel trailer and live in HOT south Texas. I have a cooler to put in (plate style), I will not be racing, just want to make it rugged and reliable. The Van has about 70,000 miles and would only move if you put the pedal to the mats. I have plenty of time, and patience.

Pete in Texas

ASE Certified Trans Tech transbuilderguy's Avatar

Re: 4L60e self rebuild for a van

master rebuild kit, beast sunshell, new reverse drum, 2 5/8 wide band at minimum corvette servo, shift kit transgo or superior, doubelcage borg warner input sprag, 4l65e low roller clutch. aluminum acumulator pistons, .490 reverse boost valve. get 9 thin 3-4 steels and 9 thin 3-4 clutches and you can get between 8-9 clutches in the 3-4 as opposed to the stock 6 as long as you have about .015 of installed clearnce in the pack you will be good

PBA

For the rebuild kit, go to : https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/home.php?cat=22 Get the Heavy Duty rebuild kit that matches the year you have. If yours is an LS Series motor go to: https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/home.php?cat=55 Call me with any questions. Dana

Quote Originally Posted by transbuilderguy View Post
    master rebuild kit, beast sunshell, new reverse drum, 2 5/8 wide band at minimum corvette servo, shift kit transgo or superior, doubelcage borg warner input sprag, 4l65e low roller clutch. aluminum acumulator pistons, .490 reverse boost valve. get 9 thin 3-4 steels and 9 thin 3-4 clutches and you can get between 8-9 clutches in the 3-4 as opposed to the stock 6 as long as you have about .015 of installed clearnce in the pack you will be good
    I will never use the 9 thin clutches after destroying a case on a WOT upshift. Sheared every case lug that holds the 3-4 steels off the case. Once you get the line pressure up the stock clutch count are plenty beefy.
    1997 G1500 Cobra Conversion, 5.7, 4L80E, 3.73 14-bolt 9.5", L31 Marine Intake, CFM TB, 02 MAF, 0411, Custom cam. Doug Thorley Tri-Ys, full exhaust soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast305 View Post
    I will never use the 9 thin clutches after destroying a case on a WOT upshift. Sheared every case lug that holds the 3-4 steels off the case. Once you get the line pressure up the stock clutch count are plenty beefy.
    I am confused the 3-4 steels do not make contact with the transmission case they are in the input drum? furthermore I run this setup on every trans I build and I have no problems. I personally have these units in corvettes running in the 9s and a few FSC with over 600 hp at the wheels and that can be verified :) pretty sure I can get the speed shop in Daytona FL that I build for to chime in on this. But again I would like to know how the 3-4 case lugs? that are actually in the input drum got sheared...and NO the stock clutch count is not sufficient for a performance unit I am sure even Dana will attest to that.

Memorly relapse.....The extra clutches broke the drum but I also killed the case lugs in the rear of the case on a different transmission. Vette application may survive but 450 rwtq in a tall geared 6,000 lbs brick was a death sentence. I am hunting for an 80E for my Express.
    Last edited by Fast305; 02-25-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    1997 G1500 Cobra Conversion, 5.7, 4L80E, 3.73 14-bolt 9.5", L31 Marine Intake, CFM TB, 02 MAF, 0411, Custom cam. Doug Thorley Tri-Ys, full exhaust soon.

most likely it was line pressure that broke the drum...I actually have this setup in a FSC 6.2 liter with blower put down 620 ish and its been pulling for a year now. the key to making the 4l60e live is to not make them shift hard but shift fast and firm this is done with the right amnount of line pressure vs acumualtion with proper clearance and apply area its a balance of the 4...a hard shifting 4l60e is guranteed to break under power.

Quote Originally Posted by transbuilderguy View Post
    most likely it was line pressure that broke the drum...I actually have this setup in a FSC 6.2 liter with blower put down 620 ish and its been pulling for a year now. the key to making the 4l60e live is to not make them shift hard but shift fast and firm this is done with the right amnount of line pressure vs acumualtion with proper clearance and apply area its a balance of the 4...a hard shifting 4l60e is guranteed to break under power.
    I'd rather have an 80E than a 60E. Better shift spacing, more strength, and just a more solid transmission. There is something to be said about clutch to clutch shifting.
    1999tahoe5.7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast305 View Post
    I'd rather have an 80E than a 60E. Better shift spacing, more strength, and just a more solid transmission. There is something to be said about clutch to clutch shifting.
    agree 100 percent the th400 and the 4l80e with its hand of shift are way better once a component is applied it stays applied..however the 4l80e needs some work done to the hydraulics. its a strong mechanical trans but the hydraulics are lacking and need to be worked. I see them burnt up in stock form all the time usually the direct drum or the input drum.

PBA

Once the 4L80E is setup correctly, it is a very good unit. Yes, the gear shift spacing is better and the clutch, then clutch, then clutch apply is the best way to go. On the other hand the 700R4/4L60E unit does very well when setup correctly. The breaking of the input drum lugs is rare but does happen once in a great while. If you go over 240 psi. line pressure, then the odds go up that this could happen. You need a minimum of 8 (9 or 10 is better) Borg Warner Hi-Energy or Blue Plate Specials in the 3-4 clutch pack to hold the torque and horsepower to get these units into the nines.

Sorry for the late post, for those of you that tow the 4l80E is the way to go. I have many Chevrolet express vans that have the 4l80E trans non of them have died before the 427k mile mark