***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

body drop

This is a discussion on body drop within the Street forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 2001 chevy truck and i was wondering what it takes to do a body drop. How much ...

body drop

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 2001 chevy truck and i was wondering what it takes to do a body drop. How much it would cost? how much work do you have to put into it? Thanks. Jaren

From longbed to shorty. chevy6998's Avatar

Re: body drop

Check jimmy p's thread on stock floor bodydrop in the tech articles, Basically (its harder than it sounds) you raise the bed floor which drops it over the frame, cut the frame underneath the cab and reinforce with new tube stock, raise the tanny hump in cab, notch fire wall for wheels(if needed), and drop the front frame horns, lower the cab body mounts. In reality there are alot more details and little specifics. I would recommend a stock floor over a traditional. As far as how much, to get it done at a shop look for anywheres from $3000-$4000 at some of your higher end shops, As far as work involved, All I have to say is that it is a labor of love!!!!!!
    Last edited by chevy6998; 04-25-2005 at 06:15 AM.
    1989 SCLB, driv 22's, slam rs-72, custom 4-link and wattslink, 1/2 valves, nitrogen
    1997 ECSB, stock, but not for long

Quote Originally Posted by chevy6998
    Check jimmy p's thread on stock floor bodydrop in the tech articles, Basically (its harder than it sounds) you raise the bed floor which drops it over the frame, cut the frame underneath the cab and reinforce with new tube stock, raise the tanny hump in cab, notch fire wall for wheels(if needed), and drop the front frame horns, lower the cab body mounts. In reality there are alot more details and little specifics. I would recommend a stock floor over a traditional. As far as how much, to get it done at a shop look for anywheres from $3000-$4000 at some of your higher end shops, As far as work involved, All I have to say is that it is a labor of love!!!!!!
    This pretty much covers a stock floor bodydrop.

For a traditional bodydrop, you need to strip the interior, cut the firewall under the windshild cowl, cut the back wall, cut out and raise the floor your desired height(generaly 3"), after that you do the bed the same as above, aswell as the frame horns you'll also have to do some relocating of underhood items. ANything on the inner fenders will have to be relocated, because the iner fenderswill have to be removed, and new ones built or you can go without them, If you run 22s the firewall will have to be tubbed and the batter may have to be relocated and the fuse box moved to the baterys stock location, wires and hoses may need to be lengthend. There's also probably 100 other things I'm forgetting.

I used to say if i were to bodydrop another truck I'd go stock floor, but recently I've had a few safty concerns about cutting the frame that much. Even with reenforcement I have concerns about what would happen in a crash. I'd recomnd doing a complete frame or atleast a new frame from the firewall back as opposed to sectioning the stock frame.

Either way your looking at 3500+ and I wouldn't really expect to pay much less than 4000 relisticly to have a good shop do the work.

Here are a few shots of my truck getting cut up.

Quote Originally Posted by DemoN
    ... all bull**** aside....your's is one of my favorite trucks....
    http://www.myspace.com/ncwheelchairmike

I think that more than I need to attempt right now. Thanks for your replies.

Hey, ive used jimmy p's guide and its really helped me. But, his guide is for a obs style truck. To body drop a nbs cost about $10000 from IF customs. An obs truck can get a body drop for about a third of that, and the amount of labor is a lot less. Someone who knows what they are doing would still take about two months, b/c of all the extra crossbars, wiring, frame diffences and cab shape. Trust me from experience. I have a friend who performed a stock floor on his 99 and he almost sold it for scrap b/c of the fustration. If i were you, i would leave it to professionals or just stick w/ bags. Or, buy an obs project truck. Just my opinion. Peace out

Quote Originally Posted by rhinoman
    Hey, ive used jimmy p's guide and its really helped me. But, his guide is for a obs style truck. To body drop a nbs cost about $10000 from IF customs. An obs truck can get a body drop for about a third of that, and the amount of labor is a lot less. Someone who knows what they are doing would still take about two months, b/c of all the extra crossbars, wiring, frame diffences and cab shape. Trust me from experience. I have a friend who performed a stock floor on his 99 and he almost sold it for scrap b/c of the fustration. If i were you, i would leave it to professionals or just stick w/ bags. Or, buy an obs project truck. Just my opinion. Peace out
    id like to pick up a salvaged nbs and see what I can do with it But ive heard obs chevys are the best for sfbds
    1989 Silverado Project // 2013 GMC Sierra

I can't believe anyone would give those clowns 10 grand.

Quote Originally Posted by DemoN
    ... all bull**** aside....your's is one of my favorite trucks....
    http://www.myspace.com/ncwheelchairmike

Quote Originally Posted by grounded
    I can't believe anyone would give those clowns 10 grand.
    Yeah, neither can I, an to think that Carey Iancino does the streettrucks column about fabrication makes me wonder.......10k even for an NBS is rediculous, Id buy and OBS in mint for that price and have it paid for instead of $30,000 in hock plus have to pay for mods.....10k for a few inches of drop....thats those rich ass cali punks!!!!lol no offense to anyone.
    1989 SCLB, driv 22's, slam rs-72, custom 4-link and wattslink, 1/2 valves, nitrogen

Quote Originally Posted by chevy6998
    10k for a few inches of drop....thats those rich ass cali punks!!!!lol no offense to anyone.
    None taken But for a few inches, I'll just Z the front of the frame, and lay rocker all around. Man, it's so very easy on these old C10's ;)
    -87 Corvette Z52 Coupe
    *K&N Filter,Yank Torque Converter,Custom Cat-Back
    -95 Tahoe 2-door 4x4
    *Posi-Lok/G80, 285's, Custom Cat-Back, 3.73's
    -96 S10 ECSB V6
    *ZQ8 Rims, 3" BellTech Drop, Dynomax Cat-Back

ive got an 85 sitting stock how much should i drop it
    i need $$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by macklee
    to the rockers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

white and nerdy

Lay doorhandle
    2002 Tahoe
    le malibu

Currently seeking - suburban

nfamusairsuspension.com low_clazz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIMSPEED
    None taken But for a few inches, I'll just Z the front of the frame, and lay rocker all around. Man, it's so very easy on these old C10's ;)
    i didnt know Zing the frame was so easy!?!?!?
    Last edited by low_clazz; 05-10-2005 at 08:56 PM.

Atreyu

You can also channel. Where you cut the cab where the framerails are and let the cab slide down over the framerails and form sheetmetal over the frame. You still have to cut the bed and raise the floor etc.. same with front shoehorns. And also still have to raise the tranny tunnel. If i had a nbs this is what i would do. That is my understanding of channeling plz correct me if im wrong. I would think that channeling is the best way to go.
    Last edited by LOWELL; 06-14-2005 at 08:53 PM.
    99 2dr Tahoe LS 4x4 8" lift, 37 Iroks

please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject. I am on here trying to learn before I buy my fullsize so I know that I am buying the perfect truck for what I want. I have a few stupid questions....

What does NBS and OBS mean?

What does Zing the frame mean?

Just wondering.

also, for a stock floor body drop there was talk about cutting the frame under the cab and using tube stock. can some one elaborate on that?

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by macklee

It ain't low till the ants duck
    mikie103 likes this.
    1988 c1500 rclb silverado
    350tbi/th375
    some stereo mods, fixing it up as time allows
    300k miles and going strong!

99 Firebird Formula
    mods- everything
    money maker

hippies hate deathmetal! Blaze5509's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fabitup
    please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject. I am on here trying to learn before I buy my fullsize so I know that I am buying the perfect truck for what I want. I have a few stupid questions....

What does NBS and OBS mean?

What does Zing the frame mean?

Just wondering.

also, for a stock floor body drop there was talk about cutting the frame under the cab and using tube stock. can some one elaborate on that?

Josh
    Ha!
    I am in the same boat as you. am just about to pick up a nbs (new body style) silverado and I want to learn as much as I can before I get it.

Z-ing the frame involves cuting and chanelling the frame. Not worth it in my opinion unless you are doing frame up resto.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze5509
    Ha!
    I am in the same boat as you. am just about to pick up a nbs (new body style) silverado and I want to learn as much as I can before I get it.

Z-ing the frame involves cuting and chanelling the frame. Not worth it in my opinion unless you are doing frame up resto.
    Am I right to belive it's not worth it to bodydrop a NBS unless your doing a frame up resto on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ayev8r
    I would start with a good hitch, a ball, and a trailer. If it can pull that, then you can start putting things on the trailer, until you can't pull it no more.

I think its part of the fun, but I've only body dropped an dragster s-10.Me and my buddies cut it traditional style and supported it with, i think it was, 2-inch pipein'. The 14-point roll cage then all welded in and aluminum covered the floor. I thought it was pretty easy

Hey, ive used jimmy p's guide and its really helped me. But, his guide is for a obs style <a href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=274' target='_blank'>truck</a>. To body drop a nbs cost about $10000 from IF customs. An obs <a href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=274' target='_blank'>truck</a> can get a body drop for about a third of that, and the amount of labor is a lot less. Someone who knows what they are doing would still take about two months, b/c of all the extra crossbars, wiring, frame diffences and cab shape. Trust me from experience. I have a friend who performed a stock floor on his 99 and he almost sold it for scrap b/c of the fustration. If i were you, i would leave it to professionals or just stick w/ bags. Or, <a href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=334' target='_blank'>buy</a> an obs project <a href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=274' target='_blank'>truck</a>. Just my opinion. Peace out
    10,000 is rediculous! Up here in Minnesota Nic at Crazy Talk Customz was pricing my 85 for a powdered coated frame, It to go to the rockers w/ a BD, 4 Link and all the air ride installed for under 10 G and they do a BD only for 10G? Please say it isnt so
    Twizted Intensionz T.C.
    1985 Chevy Goin from the ground ^

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast