GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

two link rear suspension

This is a discussion on two link rear suspension within the Street forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ive looked all over the site, and I cant find any threads on making your own two link rear suspension. ...

two link rear suspension

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ive looked all over the site, and I cant find any threads on making your own two link rear suspension. Anyone know of one?

Thanks,

Corey

Re: two link rear suspension

Well, the design of a two link is awful and that's probably why you aren't finding anything on it. Your pinion angle will only be correct at ride height and the mounting points of the link bars will be working against themselves when you go over bumps in the road (the bars are solidly connected to the axle, when one side of the axle goes up, the other will want to follow). Those are the cons of the design, but if you still want to build it Im sure someone else here will chime in.

Well the irst problem is there is no design required. Its 2 bars with bushings at one end (on each) and then U-bolted solid to the axle at the other. Then you either cross brace between the 2 bars or run a panhard bar to keep the axle as centered as possible. If you plan on this route you should make the bars and the panhard as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by scott-885
    Then you either cross brace between the 2 bars
    that would be a one link... that would be amazing, I bet i would three wheel going into my driveway everytime...

Quote Originally Posted by Low88
    that would be a one link... that would be amazing, I bet i would three wheel going into my driveway everytime...
    theirs a mini truck company that does it that way, i don't understand how hard mounting a bar from one side of the 2link bars to the other would do anything because the 2link bars them selfs are hard mounted to the axle?

anyone else see what im getting at?

the company is silerstar or something like that
    and i say mini truck company because alot of mini truckers are ghetto like that

if custom is a good place to see what a 2link is since thats the only thing they put on their trucks, but don't use the stock bushing like they do, ghetto

gets some from
    http://www.suicidedoors.com/4-LinkWeldonBarEnds.php

the bars are 32.5 or 33inches center to center but double check to make sure

a 2link will ride like
    and u won't be happy with the ride and will probably think bags suck just because the 2link blows real bad

i have a 2link on my obs and as soon as i can get the truck shipped up here to alaska the 2link is coming off for a
    http://www.suicidedoors.com/Parallel4-LinkKit.php

peace
    2k gmc, sold!

84 classic mini cooper, rhd, VP Austin metro 1275, stage 1 kit, coil spring conversion kit, 6point roll cage, classic bucket seats/4point harness, 13inch weller rims on yoko rubber, matt black

nfamusairsuspension.com low_clazz's Avatar

i copped out and bought an IF 2 link. their link bars are angled to help with pinion angle issues. not much but it does help alittle. just make sure you make the bars long enough and you really wont have any issues. ive had my two link coming up on 17 months. no problems ever as far as the actual 2 link goes.

nfamusairsuspension.com low_clazz's Avatar

a 2link will ride like
    and u won't be happy with the ride and will probably think bags suck just because the 2link blows real bad
    please ignore this idiotic remark.

Quote Originally Posted by joakwin
    theirs a mini truck company that does it that way, i don't understand how hard mounting a bar from one side of the 2link bars to the other would do anything because the 2link bars them selfs are hard mounted to the axle?
    It would work, but the bar(s) couldnt be run straight across. Their would be too much lateral force.

The only time i would ever consider using a two link is when cars are produced strictly with engines perpendicular to the frame and a chain is ran from the flexplate back to an axle with a sprocket. But that is just effing ridiculous to even consider.

The only issue I see with a 2-link vs. a parallel 4-link is the pinion change. If your bars are long enough, and you arent really pulling a whole lot of travel, you can get away with a 2-link.

A 2-link with bags over axle with long link bars would be fine, so long as your pinion is perfect at ride height. This would "work" because you are only going to have like 8" of suspension travel.

For example, with long enough 2-link bars, that 8" of travel would only amount to 8 degrees or so of pinion change. If your pinion at ride height is set at 0, fully compressed or extended, your pinion will remain in a -4* - +4* range.

The long and the short of it is that a 2-link will "work" decent enough if you are:

A: broke
    B: happy with very little lift
    C: like the way a truck with air over axle rides

If you want to mount your bags leverage style, I would get a 4link, or start a savings account for some new drivetrain components.

Quote Originally Posted by joakwin
    a 2link will ride like

i have a 2link on my obs and as soon as i can get the truck shipped up here to alaska the 2link is coming off for a
    http://www.suicidedoors.com/Parallel4-LinkKit.php

peace
    Could you explain your logic on why a parallel 4link will "ride" better than a 2link?

The way i see it, Assuming your bags are mounted in the same place with your two link that they would be with the four link, and also assuming your bars are close to or the same length, you truck is going to ride the same...The only advantage that 4-link has over a 2-link is that it will hold the pinion better.

Too many people these days are quick to pull the "2-link sucks" flag out. I bet half of the people talking **** on them haven't ever personally dealt with 2links, or suspension design in general. Everybody is working off of hearsay. Geometrically, the only difference is a 4link will hold your pinion angle, while a 2link will not. Here is a loaded statement for the doubters, Prove me wrong on my last statement. I am down for a serious intelligent discussion about suspension geometry with people that are working off of more than hearsay, but experience. I have solidworks files ready to defend my case.
    Last edited by Low88; 03-03-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Low88
    Could you explain your logic on why a parallel 4link will "ride" better than a 2link?

The way i see it, Assuming your bags are mounted in the same place with your two link that they would be with the four link, and also assuming your bars are close to or the same length, you truck is going to ride the same...The only advantage that 4-link has over a 2-link is that it will hold the pinion better.
    If the 2-link was built properly you would have ZERO side to side movement. If one wheel goes up, they both go up. If you can hit sides with a 2-link you are twisting the **** out of your frame. That right there is enough reason to not want one.
    Buy me

If you dont need side to side a two link is just fine. If you bars are long enough your pinion angle won't change enough to matter. You actually only drive with a 6 to 8 inch height difference you can easily keep your pinion angle happy in that range. When your playing really low or really high you shouldn't be going fast enough that the pinion angle will matter as long is the u-joint isn't hitting the yolk(only seen that on a lifted truck with a hack job driveshaft). As far as lift it all matters with where you mount the bags. I had a two link on my burb I hit sides all the time when I pulled it apart the bushings where junk but the mounts and frame where fine. It rode great. The bars where 49 inches long and the panhard was about 38. So if you are on a budjet or want simplicity go with the two link, use the stock suspension bushing for your bar then you can get replacements at any auto parts store. As far as driveways and stuff the 67-73 trucks had a two link stock and I don't see any problems and they have been on the road for almost 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    If the 2-link was built properly you would have ZERO side to side movement. If one wheel goes up, they both go up. If you can hit sides with a 2-link you are twisting the **** out of your frame. That right there is enough reason to not want one.
    How would a parallel 4link allow the axle to "hit sides" without super pivots? It would be the same as a 2link. I have a few models of parallel 4links "as proper as you can get" becuase they are on a computer. With the mates set, and in its range of motion, it will not have any side to side travel. the whole axle moves as one. I know that it is different in the real world, Im just saying that 4 links by design don't allow side to side movement either.
    Last edited by Low88; 03-03-2006 at 01:14 PM.

DBG

I don't think he's saying you want side to side movement, but that you want each side to be able to move indepentently. If the links are solid mounted to the axle and you hit the bags on that side, or encounter a situation where you need the axle to drop down into a dip and the rear tires hit the dip at different times, you will end up with 1 wheel in the air or a twisted frame and toasted bushings.

With a 4-link and panhard, the panhard keeps the axle centered and having a joint on each end of each link will allow smooth movement of each side of the axle when in a situation that I described above. So, a 2-link will "work" just as the others were saying, but there are more advantages to a 4-link than just maintaining pinion angle.

Darren
    89 RCSB Dana 60/14 Bolt 4-lnk frnt/rr, 39.5's/14" Welds, 5.13, Truetrac/Detroit, AEM Intake, Holley 670 TBI, Holley Mnfld, Shorties, 40 series, no cat. 98 2wd 355, lt4 hotcam, 1.6 rllr rckrs

Project Pics:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/366426764ygYniE

Quote Originally Posted by darren250r
    I don't think he's saying you want side to side movement, but that you want each side to be able to move indepentently. If the links are solid mounted to the axle and you hit the bags on that side, or encounter a situation where you need the axle to drop down into a dip and the rear tires hit the dip at different times, you will end up with 1 wheel in the air or a twisted frame and toasted bushings.

With a 4-link and panhard, the panhard keeps the axle centered and having a joint on each end of each link will allow smooth movement of each side of the axle when in a situation that I described above. So, a 2-link will "work" just as the others were saying, but there are more advantages to a 4-link than just maintaining pinion angle.

Darren
    I understand that a parallel 4link will yield some independent movement of each side, but its nature by design is not to allow that at all. The only reason a parallel 4link with normal bushings has any independent movement is because of the bushings themselves. As long as a two link has bushings on the ends, it will yield the same amount of independent movement as a parallel 4-link.

A triangulated 4link is better, because both a 2 link and a parallel 4link have 0 anti-squat, and a triangulated 4link is more conducive to the independent movement that you speak of, especially with super pivots.
    Last edited by Low88; 03-03-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Since the axle is perpendicular to the link bars in both setups, any torsional forces on the end faces of the bars are going to have the same effect. It's not like 4-link bushings flex more than 2-link bushings.

edit: the key setup in both cases would be heim joints or ball-joint rod ends because of their lateral deflection tolerances
    Last edited by Hole-Shot; 03-03-2006 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hole-Shot
    Since the axle is perpendicular to the link bars in both setups, any torsional forces on the end faces of the bars are going to have the same effect. It's not like 4-link bushings flex more than 2-link bushings.
    We posted at the same time... glad i am not the only one seeing the light.

the problem is the axle end is solidly mounted to the axle so any angle change perpendicular to the link bars has to force the bars to twist(twist is parrellel to the frame). The bars are really what twists not the frame or the mount. If your bars is long enough alot of the twist is absorbed thru the link. IMO there is really no harm to this. Think of it kinda like a torsion bar. It will toast your bushing but it wont bend your frame or the mount. I question how long the u-bolts holding the axle will take it but I ran mine for a 1 1/2 years and the only thing was the bushings.

Hey! Thanks for all the replies!
    Now, a couple things.
    1st. I'm aware of the lack of twistability. I sorta figured it would act like a swaybar to a certain extent. I also thought I might use real big rod ends to aleviate any binding.
    2nd. I have been riding static at -7 for about 5 years. I like how it sits, and would keep it at that height while driving. the only time it would vary much would be down in a very smooth parking lot (cruising-dont do that much any more with the wife and 4 kids) or parked and up going over a speed bump, into a driveway, potholes, etc. which would be at very low speeds also.

I mostly want to do it for the ride. And I would most likely put the bag between the axle and the pivot point for that reason. The handing part would just be a bonus-oh, and I would need to do a posi just in case i suspended a tire in a twist.
    I was just hoping for pics or step by step, but thanks again for the posts
    Last edited by ccreddell; 03-03-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccreddell
    Hey! Thanks for all the replies!
    Now, a couple things.
    1st. I'm aware of the lack of twistability. I sorta figured it would act like a swaybar to a certain extent. I also thought I might use real big rod ends to aleviate any binding.
    Do not listen to what the others said about lack of independent movement. A parallel 4link will have just as much as a 2 link. It is all in the bushings, as hole-shot and I said. That is why one bushing manufacturers ratings of their busings is how many degrees of movement it offers. If you have super pivots on the frame ends of a two link, I bet it would flex just as much, if not more than a parallel 4link with normal bushings.
    Last edited by Low88; 03-03-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast