If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Truck is uneven, Bent frame, Maybe?

This is a discussion on Truck is uneven, Bent frame, Maybe? within the Street forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm really down guys, It looks like a got a lemon here with my new truck. I just noticed after ...

Truck is uneven, Bent frame, Maybe?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I'm really down guys, It looks like a got a lemon here with my
    new truck. I just noticed after washing it today that the truck is uneven, the tire on the right side is sticking out more than the left side. Same tire size on both. Also makes it look like the back bumper is curving to the left just a hair. I did notice the shocks are going opposite directions, is this normal? I took some pics, maybe you guys can help me out. I'm so pissed right now, I did a car fax on this truck and It come back fine. If the frame is bent , wouldnt it be filed as a total?

Xcentric Customs Beyond Static©'s Avatar

Re: Truck is uneven, Bent frame, Maybe?

The axle under those trucks never were perfectly centered, but I'd look under there to make sure all the suspension parts are tight. As far as carfax goes, a large percentage of the time things are not reported to carfax.
    2/4 drop, GMC 20's, 4:10 gears, Blackbear Tune

Formerly White_Stealth Stealth HD's Avatar

Just cuz a frame was bent, doesn't mean it classifys it as a total.

X2 on what Beyond Static said. It can be as simple as the body/bed weren't centered on the frame from the factory, or after an accident where the bed may have been off. It's not as noticable on stock height trucks, but when they are lowered it can be more apparent.

Search chevy lean. You may have the chevy lean problem....There's tons of threads on here about what it is and how to fix it...... p.s. I'm hoping that those pics are of your front tires b/c in the pics they look turned. If those are the front tires and you diagnose your truck with the chevy lean I wouldn't worry about it b/c I have known my truck since new with no wrecks and the front left tire sticks out a lil further than the right as it rubs when the right one doesn't. After thought.....Is the truck bagged? What kind of notch if so. Bodydropped? Whoever built it could have gotten something a little off when building it. Could also be your leaning issue.
    1993 GMC rcsb stepside 5.7 5spd

Is the bed centered with the cab? Does it drive straight? Its odd that the whole axle is moved over to one side. Usually what happens is one wheel is moved more forward then the other on a bent frame which throws off the thrust angle and the truck crab walks. Take it to a frame shop or sometimes a good alignment shop can tell you what might be wrong. They can at least tell you if the thrust angle is off from the front.
    5.7L, 5-Speed, 4/6 drop on 245/45/18's

The pictures are from the back.

I think you are way over reacting. Frame bent wouldn't cause what you are looking at alone. The bed gap would be off and there would be other problems. The axle is just off by a bit. Someone could have had it out, the bed might have been taken off and not centered.

Should be rather easy to loosen the bed scoot it over a little bit and make a happy medium of bed to cab, and side to side evening.
    Last edited by custm2500; 06-29-2009 at 07:13 PM.

"01 GMC 2500 HD, Bagged, BB Tuned, Dumped exaust, and Race built trans with 2800 Stall

95 C-1500 Ext. Silverado Bigg G's Avatar

Looks and sounds pretty normal to me and the wheel sticking out further on 1 side is pretty common too. My Silvy has that same issue on the front passenger side plus I've seen a few trucks on this site as well as others with the same wheel sticking out further issue.
    It's my understanding that some trucks come from the GM factory like that for some reason or another but it's more noticeable when you lower or have your truck lowered.
    Last edited by Bigg G; 06-30-2009 at 05:46 AM.

I feel better about it, thanks fellas. I will take it to a frame shop and make sure it has no big problems.

buddy of mine had his axles coming out of his 1500 when he did a 9" swap crazy stuff there.

put a fender flares on that side no one will ever notice
    Hated by Most - Feared by None

95 C-1500 Ext. Silverado Bigg G's Avatar

^^^^^^ ahhhhh......you're joking right ????
    That kinda sounds like the **it will buff right out** line.

I Hate You All, Equally.

I'd check to see if the leaf springs are sitting right.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

COLE@SPORTTRUCK

It's a Chevy thing, you could have your shop do a 4 wheel alignment. It will most likely be just fine. Belltech makes 3/4" and 1" spacers for the "Chevy Lean" that they all have.