View Poll Results: Stock floor body drop

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

10 100.00%
  • no

0 0%

stock floor body drop

This is a discussion on stock floor body drop within the Street forums, part of the General Discussion category; Aight guys I need your opinion on a stock floor body drop. This fall/winter when I strip the entire thing ...

stock floor body drop

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Aight guys I need your opinion on a stock floor body drop. This fall/winter when I strip the entire thing to bag it I was thinking I might as well just go ahead and stock floor body drop and box in the rest of the frame. The bed floor is getting raised when I bag it anyways to clear the pumpkin/bag setup. I am going to be doing all the cutting/welding on a level and square frame table.
    What do ya think?

Rendering of what my truck will look like before the body drop..
    1989 Silverado Project // 2013 GMC Sierra

As long as your going to build a new frame I say go for it. I'd hate to ride in a reg. cab with a traditional bodydrop.

Quote Originally Posted by DemoN
    ... all bull**** aside....your's is one of my favorite trucks....
    http://www.myspace.com/ncwheelchairmike

thanks ..anyone else?

Go for it! A stock floor bodydrop is the only way I would ever have one.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

Originally posted by 5-8CHEVY
    Go for it as long as you know what you're doing.
    But if you'll have it down to the frame why not just build a square tube frame and run a Mustang II or similiar setup?
    Ive been debating that too. Still want to do alot more research on that idea though. Im sure the new frame would end up being stronger and looking alot better than the stock one too! On the downside it seems like an aweful lot of time/work....
    Few questions for anyone who feels like answering....

-What size and thickness box tubing is recomended? Ive seen 2x4 used alot..
    -About how much does that stuff cost?
    -What would the advantages of the Mustang II (with bags) compared to one of the new airride tubular a-arms setups?
    thanks alot

well what would be the difference between a 'stock floor body drop' and a regular body drop?

are you sayin that you could body drop a truck without cutting into the floor?? why wouldn't everyone else do that?

i've heard of a company that will make a tube frame for your truck specifically and it will body drop your truck by 2-3 inches. the best part about that frame is that it will be contoured to your truck body and you won't have to cut anything, just bolt the body on!!
    '97 under construction . . .

yeah it's static

a couple pics of my mower and custom box work

Originally posted by sack
    well what would be the difference between a 'stock floor body drop' and a regular body drop?

are you sayin that you could body drop a truck without cutting into the floor?? why wouldn't everyone else do that?

i've heard of a company that will make a tube frame for your truck specifically and it will body drop your truck by 2-3 inches. the best part about that frame is that it will be contoured to your truck body and you won't have to cut anything, just bolt the body on!!

yea from what i understand you are basicly lowering the cab mounts on the frame so you dont have to cut the cab floor except around the tranny hump. The frame is then reinforced with box tubing and the top part is trimmed off under the cab.

The more I think about this the more I want to do it There is an ex cab around here that has been bagged so now I have to get mine lower

Take measurments, see how much extra headroom you have. I know I dont have enough headroom to fit if my truck was body dropped.

This is my friends truck, from what he has told me, it will be a 2.5" stock floor drop. From what i understand is that the height of the frame is cut down and reinforced...

Click for pics...
    Chris
    02 Silverado, 4.8 SCSB

does body dropping also make it handle a lot better due to the lower center of gravity??

makes sense to me, but how much of a difference would it actually be?

and what about the engine?? how far can you go before you have to worry about hitting things?

would you have to worry about the fan shroud like you would with a body lift?
    '97 under construction . . .

yeah it's static

a couple pics of my mower and custom box work

Originally posted by SyckShyt
    Take measurments, see how much extra headroom you have. I know I dont have enough headroom to fit if my truck was body dropped.
    thats the best part of a stock floor bodydrop. You dont lose an inch of headroom Otherwise I would never even consider it...

does body dropping also make it handle a lot better due to the lower center of gravity??

makes sense to me, but how much of a difference would it actually be?

and what about the engine?? how far can you go before you have to worry about hitting things?

would you have to worry about the fan shroud like you would with a body lift?
    Yea I didnt really think if it but I would imagine that it would help out some with body roll as the center of gravity will be alot lower.

I think that the fan shroud may need to be modded but Im going with electric lt1 fans anyways so Im not too worried. I havent heard of any other problems though.

Originally posted by jimmy p

thats the best part of a stock floor bodydrop. You dont lose an inch of headroom Otherwise I would never even consider it...
    Stock floor is when you cut the floor and weld the little extensions on isnt it?

Originally posted by SyckShyt

Stock floor is when you cut the floor and weld the little extensions on isnt it?
    no thats a normal b/d. A stock floor is when you modify the frame and body mounts to allow the cab to sit lower on the frame. The only spot that you touch the floor pan is just above the tranny. It needs to be moved up about 2-3" i think.

Originally posted by jimmy p

no thats a normal b/d. A stock floor is when you modify the frame and body mounts to allow the cab to sit lower on the frame. The only spot that you touch the floor pan is just above the tranny. It needs to be moved up about 2-3" i think.
    ah, ok

if your going to all that trouble I'd have to agree with Izzy and just build a new frame. It's not that difficult...truckin' has a pretty good article on it.

You could get away with 2x4 .120 wall box tubing as long as your not making long runs with it. the longer the run with the box tubing the more easily it will twist under torsional stress. If it was me I'd consider running a 3x5 box tube under the cab and then 2x4 for the rest. That's probably what I'll be doing on my 50.

it's fairly easy...just make sure your a damn good welder and are able to get proper penetration on your welds or I would look to someone else to do the final finish welding.
    Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to there level, then beat you with experience

Originally posted by BigChevMan
    if your going to all that trouble I'd have to agree with Izzy and just build a new frame. It's not that difficult...truckin' has a pretty good article on it.

You could get away with 2x4 .120 wall box tubing as long as your not making long runs with it. the longer the run with the box tubing the more easily it will twist under torsional stress. If it was me I'd consider running a 3x5 box tube under the cab and then 2x4 for the rest. That's probably what I'll be doing on my 50.

it's fairly easy...just make sure your a damn good welder and are able to get proper penetration on your welds or I would look to someone else to do the final finish welding.
    ok thanks for the info! I read the article in truckin along with tons of others. Ive also been reading a few books for street rod chassis building so Im getting pretty well informed. I pretty much got the general idea of how to do the cab back. Pretty much just get the mounting points for the bed, cab.... in the exact spots on the new frame. But Im not sure what to do from the cab forward? As far as suspension?

I've had a "traditional" body dropped vehicle and it is cool, but the next body drop I have will be "stock" floor body dropped.
    Kevin
    Pleasures