***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10 bolt rear end oil capacity+filler plug leaking.

This is a discussion on 10 bolt rear end oil capacity+filler plug leaking. within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i just put on a new chrome diff cover for my 10 bolt rear end today and this was actually ...

c30

10 bolt rear end oil capacity+filler plug leaking.

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i just put on a new chrome diff cover for my 10 bolt rear end today and this was actually my first time changing the rear end oil.

I was shocked that I could only put in a little over a qt. of oil filling it from the fill hole of the new diff cover. I didn't get the chance to measure how much old oil came out so I was wondering if this is normal?? My Tacoma used to take almost 3 qts so I thought it would at least be similar to that. I understand my rear end is angled down slightly but I didn't think it would make that drastic of a difference. If anything I guess I can add more oil through the breather hose area.

Also, the fill plug is leaking, I've tightened the bolt as much as I feel comfortable with. It was leaking a lot worse with the plastic washer that came with it so I removed it and it still leaks very slightly. Anybody used gasket sealer with the fill bolts, I'm wondering if that will work, otherwise I may just jb weld it and eliminate the hassle all together.

Thanks!

97 4 door Tahoe- Rancho 6"- 15x10 Xtreme Alloys- 33x12.5 Pro Comp Xterrains- Gibson Headers- K&N FIPK G2- Flowmaster dual exhaust-No Slip Rear Locker- B&M shift kit, supercooler-

Not to sound like an @ss, but it sounds like you are trying to put fluid in the aftermarker rear cover's drain hole.

The fill hole is half way up on the pumpkin pass. side. It looks like a big set screw.
    2015 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...t-7th-9th.html

c30
    hmm, no, it's definitely couldn't be a drain screw. I attached a pic, it's not the exact cover but it's about where the plug screw is.

Anyway, so where was the factory fill screw again? On the rear (driveshaft side)? I was looking for it but couldn't find it I was just assuming it's filled from the top where the vent hose plugs in. don't laugh, haha

oops forgot the pic...here it is.

btw. about that aftermarket plug, you think the gasket sealer will work with that?

97 4 door Tahoe- Rancho 6"- 15x10 Xtreme Alloys- 33x12.5 Pro Comp Xterrains- Gibson Headers- K&N FIPK G2- Flowmaster dual exhaust-No Slip Rear Locker- B&M shift kit, supercooler-

Looks like a drain plug to me. Get under the truck on the passenger side. Near where the driveshaft connects to the axle you will see a fill plug that takes a 3/8" Ratchet head. Fill it there.

'04 2500HD/6.0/4x4/4L80-E/4.10/G80/10.5" FF/285-75 BFG AT KO/9200GVW
    "Show the $5.......give the $1"

Originally posted by vhato
    Looks like a drain plug to me. Get under the truck on the passenger side. Near where the driveshaft connects to the axle you will see a fill plug that takes a 3/8" Ratchet head. Fill it there.

NBS 10 bolt is 2.5 quarts approximately. (I would assume that OBS is in the same area)

2001 RCLB Silverado 4x4 4.8L - Dynomax cat back - K&N FIPK

c30
    Originally posted by vhato
    Cool, thanks.

c30
    I understand that fill plug on the cover is pretty low but I still don't think it was designed to be a drain plug, that's pretty high for a drain plug but evidently too low for a fill plug. What the hell were they thinking haha In the listing, it also says it's a fill plug. Oh well, I hope I'm not messing anything up, I drove it about 12 miles with a little over a qt of oil in there and tommorrow I have no choice but to drive another 12 miles before I can add more oil. Everything seems just fine, no noises or anything so I hope it'll be ok. Although, I wouldn't mind an excuse to put 4.10's :kidding: I can't afford it right now so I better knock on wood.

I just have to figure something out with that leaky plug though, damn, I wish I got one without that stupid plug.

Told you it was the drain plug.

If you HAVE to drive it (which I would'nt) go VERY slow.

c30
    Isn't it too high to be a drain plug though? The diff covers that have drain plugs that I've seen has them all the way at the bottom. Either way, the plug on mine is evidently useless either way.

I think they are up higher because there is not enough "meat"/space near the bottom to get a
    threaded plug in there.

BTW, try an O-ring to stop the leak at the plug.

Aint there a drain plug under the bottom of the pumpkin?

If its loud, fast and runs on flammable liquid......count me in.
    Built LQ9...blah blah blah

Originally posted by Jokeman

No.

Originally posted by CKTA
    No.
    So you gotta remove the cover to drain it.

So you gotta remove the cover to drain it.
    Yup.

NBS has that.

2001 RCLB Silverado 4x4 4.8L - Dynomax cat back - K&N FIPK

Originally posted by jebx
    NBS has that.
    IM RIGHT DOUGS WRONG!

IM RIGHT DOUGS WRONG!
    Well GD! I though only the NBS trans. pans had a drain.

BTW those chrome covers don't last very long on daily drivers. They crack with the heat/cooling cycle. I'm not trying to kill your buzz, just giving you a heads up.

Originally posted by c30

Also, the fill plug is leaking, I've tightened the bolt as much as I feel comfortable with. It was leaking a lot worse with the plastic washer that came with it so I removed it and it still leaks very slightly. Anybody used gasket sealer with the fill bolts, I'm wondering if that will work, otherwise I may just jb weld it and eliminate the hassle all together.

Thanks!
    Now I've just read this problem that you are having. Order a ORU diff. cover as a spare.
    1998 K1500- 6.5" Cepek front/ 6" Alcan rear, 3" BL, Realift, 6 lug 14FF w/ Detroit, 4.88s, & 36x14.50 PJs.

Stuffing tires is like stuffing a bra - it may look good from the outside, but there's nothing good to play with.

c30
    I never had a problem with a chrome cover on my other Tahoe in the 2 years or so that I had it on.

No biggie though, I got it cheap

As far as the plug, I just put some gasket sealer in there and it solved the problem, no leakage

So I filled it and it took about 2.5 quarts.

btw. Cracker, what is an ORU diff cover? I got the ugly stock one as a spare, hehe...

Thanks guys :fscrules:

Scroll down and click on differential covers

These covers are really built well. The bolts they sent me were a 0.25" too short, so I chose to go to the hardware store, but the cover itself is very stout.

Only use grade 8 bolts for the cover. I used grade 5 simply because of the color and I ended up snapping two over time.
    1998 K1500- 6.5" Cepek front/ 6" Alcan rear, 3" BL, Realift, 6 lug 14FF w/ Detroit, 4.88s, & 36x14.50 PJs.

Stuffing tires is like stuffing a bra - it may look good from the outside, but there's nothing good to play with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast