GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Rain leaking into cab

This is a discussion on Rain leaking into cab within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Derringer I just finished reading through this post... thanks to all for the info. I thought I ...

Re: Rain leaking into cab

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
    I just finished reading through this post... thanks to all for the info. I thought I would respond to what I've found on my 98 Z71 extra cab. Specifically, I wanted to respond to post #90. Like post 90, I've had water accumulating in the weatherstrip channel down in the door sill area. At first, I thought all the water was coming from the leaks that I have from under the blower motor that everyone else is experiencing. Well, I've found another source of water. I pulled all the seats/carpet and crawled inside when we had a heavy rain. I noticed water was accumulating in the sill area, but no water was coming down from under the dash. So, I got out the flash light and with the door shut, I could see water running out between the door and door panel... right below the speaker grill. With the door shut the water would run out between the door and door panel, fill up the channel in the door weatherstrip, overflow out of the channel and then start filling the door sill area. I pulled the door panel and found a water soaked speaker. The water is getting inside the door and is running down the inside door, through/on/around the speaker and out between the door and door panel. I believe the water is coming in where the mirror and exterior window wipe seal meet. The seals/window wipe look pretty worn. I've oredered new seals from the dealer and am waiting for them to arrive. I pulled the drivers door panel I saw that the same thing is happening on that side as well.
    Any more info on this one? Did it fix the door leak?

I guess I was lucky. My 99 was leak free.
    95 Silverado 5.7

Mine leaks from a bit of rust around the windshield frame at the top right. Leaks through there, from there it goes onto the door, and drips dead center on the floor mat. Lucky for me i use the husky mats, so it collects the water (10-20 drops) and i can just dump it. No floor rust inside!

Well, I'm having to add my new to me truck to the list also. '97 Sub has water on both sides up front. Windshield is cracked, so it's getting replaced tomorrow. After reading this thread, I know what to expect. If I can get my cowl off before the guy gets here, I will.
    I'll just have to slowly go thru the suggestions here to slowly eliminate all possibilities.
    Dennis

'07 Silverado Classic CC/SB Duramax/Ally
    '06 VW Jetta TDI
    '97 K2500 Burb, Vacation Wagon
    '97 K1500 Suburban Diesel, '98 K2500 ECSB
    Goodbye Ol' Friends, you will be missed

A couple of motorcycles too

95 C-1500 Ext. Silverado Bigg G's Avatar

I had the front passenger leak during a rainy day and here's what I did

removed my wipers
    removed 8 cowl panel screws (you have to lift the hood to get to all 8)
    carefully raised cowl panel and let it rest on the windsheild
    siliconed all 8 screw holes with a nice dime size blob of 3M silicone
    installed cowl panel
    installed wipers

we've had 8-10 days of rain since my fix and I haven't had a leak since.

and haven't

Hey Guys,
    Just some food for thought. I have a 2003 Ext. Cab Z71 and I had the same problem with the passenger side floor carpet getting wet during rain. I took the truck back to the dealer twice, and they couldn't figure it out. The third time they called in someone who knew what he was doing and he found the seal on the aft upper corner of the back passenger door was not sealing properly. The water was running down the back passenger door onto the carpet and forward to the area under the glove box. The back carpet was not wet to the touch, but the front was soaked. That's why nobody looked at the water coming from the back of the truck. After he sealed the area, it's been dry city. I hope this helps some of you.

How bout putting some food coloring in a bucket of water and pouring it on the cowl. Then you could see the water leaking in better cause it will be colored. Had the passenger side leak in my 97 truck also but haven't checked my new 1998 truck yet. These forums are priceless. Keep up the good work people.
    Last edited by bigbird90650; 11-26-2009 at 01:03 AM.
    Does anyone know what the first Christmas gift was?

It was Love. God loved us so much that He sent His son Jesus down to earth to die in our place to pay for our sins so that we could go to heaven when we die. Without Jesus, nobody gets to Heaven. Those are God's rules not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by planemech View Post
    '97 Sub has water on both sides up front. Windshield is cracked, so it's getting replaced tomorrow.
    Got windshield replaced, that fixed the leak on the right side of the truck, the left side leak was coming from the rubber bung that the park brake cable passes thru. Got to pull the inner fender to see whats going on from the outside.
    Dennis

'07 Silverado Classic CC/SB Duramax/Ally
    '06 VW Jetta TDI
    '97 K2500 Burb, Vacation Wagon
    '97 K1500 Suburban Diesel, '98 K2500 ECSB
    Goodbye Ol' Friends, you will be missed

A couple of motorcycles too

Truck: 96 Suburban
    Leak location: Driver's side

I had a leak that was soaking the carpet padding in front of the driver's seat. After a lot of running the hose onto the truck in different places, I found that running the hose onto the hood hinge area produced a substantial drip from the area above the parking brake pedal which has been removed in this picture:

The water was dripping through the tan sealant in the seams where the three panels meet. I think this sealant dried out to point that it allowed water to seep through. But how was the water getting to to this sealant in the first place? The only apparent place is around the hood hinge. We removed the hood and removed the two bolts holding the hinge in place. Although this didn't allow removal of the hinge it did allow enough play to pull the fender and hinge away from the body. At this point we pumped sealant into the gap. We used a product called "Through the Roof" from the hardware store. It comes in a caulk tube, won't crack in heat or cold, and can be applied to a wet surface. Before applying the sealant we scraped off the old sealant using a heat gun and scraper. After replacing the bolts we sealed around the hinge for good measure. Here is a photo:

On the inside, in order to access the spot where the water was coming in the parking brake pedal had to be removed. With that out of the way, I used the heat gun, a long screwdriver and wire coat hanger with a hook at the end to scrape the sealant out the seam. Then I used the Through the Roof to reseal the seam.

Literally within an hour of putting the tools away a torrential rain started. A week of rain later, and the carpet padding is still dry!
    Last edited by shadowdub; 12-03-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Sometimes fixing a leak is as simple as reinstalling a misplaced rubber gasket. An auto parts store will have the proper trim adhesive. Clean all the old adhesive off the doorframe and gasket first. then you can prevent flowing of water into cab..

Well my drivers side floor is wet now. I'll update when I fix it. 1998 Tahoe
    2001 Mustang BULLITT - DHG #01737 www.imboc.com
    2004 Yukon XL - My Daily - 06 Silvy FR clip - Tahoe 20s - 2/3 drop
    2007 Tahoe LT - Wife's Daily - Silverado VHO 20s
    1993 Integra - Solo2 - www.delta-scca.org

My wife says I am too old to still be playing with cars and trucks.

I noticed my passenge floor becoming wet after I had a shop rebuild the radiator, replaced the A/C compressor, dryer, and replaced the heatercore. That was at the beginning of Spring and I just now have started using the heater again and just replaced the heater control valve because its plastic and started leaking radiator fluid when I turned the heater on. At least the fluid was leaking outside. Now on top of a wet floor from somewhere, I don't have much in the way of warm air. Either I didn't put the hoses on the heater control valve correctly? or it's just not working correctly. I did trim the vacuum hose to it so it would make a good seal. I did notice a little warmer air as I turn the control dial on the dash from cold to hot, but it is not nearly as warm as it once was. Maybe the heater core did not actually get replaced??? I hate taking my stuff to a shop. They always break more than they fix...
    My A/C leaked freon like crazy after they replaced the compressor. All because they chinzed out on 2 O rings.
    Thanks to you guys for loading me up with a lot to look for. I am going to see if I can figure out my leak too. The missing screws sounds plausible. They did mention taking grill out to do work and clean out leaves and such. I'll start there.. Sorry for the rant.
    Thanks, Greg

1993 2500 Silverado 4X4

Hi everyone. I am new to the forums and the great information contained on this site.
    I have a 93 K-2500 ext. cab with 239K and still stock and owned since new. All original running gear. front to back.
    Well I just started getting the water issue on the passenger side. Further investigation has shown the mat or sound proofing against the firewall under the glove box is wet. I was having trouble getting the heater to warm up. Figured just old and clogged. I replaced it the other day and the heater works great. But alias it was not the source of the water issue which was free of antifreeze. Older truck, at least I didn't have to pull the dash for that chore.
    Will try the silicone fix on some of the screws for the air vent cowling and see how that works out. I will post the outcome when I get-r-done. Gotta wait for it to stop raining first. Garage is full of stuff, Motorcycle, Airplane parts and just lots of stuff.
    Again thanks for all the good information.

I own a 2008 Chevy Tahoe, and we just recently experienced a lot of rain in the area. Now I've discovered that i have a leak on the passenger side floor mat area,which extends along the door sill to the back. I cannot figure out how the water is getting inside. Can anyone help? This does not appear to be a new problem for GM trucks. Hopefully this guy on the line will soon retire.

my 2003 leaks on the driver side also, i have had the fender and everything apart and really cant find anything wrong. im thinking it is the seam sealer inside of the cowl, i can pour a whole gallon of water right in the cowl and it immediatly starts running in the floorboard. if we ever get some decent weather i will fix it no matter what it takes, i see lots of posts for this same problem and not really any answers.
    03 1500hd ccsb 6.0 15.4mpg

Quote Originally Posted by nitrouskid2601 View Post
    my 2003 leaks on the driver side also, i have had the fender and everything apart and really cant find anything wrong. im thinking it is the seam sealer inside of the cowl, i can pour a whole gallon of water right in the cowl and it immediatly starts running in the floorboard. if we ever get some decent weather i will fix it no matter what it takes, i see lots of posts for this same problem and not really any answers.
    your drain is clogged and not letting the water run in the fender well... Had the same issue...
    Love the mud and snow

97 Chevy Tahoe 2 Door

Quote Originally Posted by Scion View Post
    Everytime we get a heavy rain, I end up with water dripping onto my passenger side floor from the blower area. I think it's coming from the cowl area, but the one hole in the body is there for a reason, and hasn't changed...yet I've only started having this problem in the last 8 months or so. Any thoughts?
    Found and repaired the leak on my 2000 GMC 2500 Series. Leak came from the back of my glove Box onto passenger floor. The leak was at the base of the antenna, the water followed the antenna wire down behind my glove box, it dripped some water onto the floor, and some into the fan shrod. Basically filling the fan shrod up with water, if it rained really hard. I noticed at the base of the antenna a rubber seal or sealer that was just laying there. In short I tore that rubber sealer out and made a rain jacket for the base on the antenna, using a cut out from a bubble wrap mailer, that has sort of the aluiminum foil on one side, and bubble wrap on the other. I cut out a piece to follow the base of the windshield. I also punch a hole in the Aluminum bubble wrap and place over the base of the antenna. Bubble wrap side down. Sorta like a poncho. I silicone sealed the area under the bubble wrap and the base of the antenna making sure to cover the hole at the base of the antenna. I sealed all along the bottom of the windshield where I had the bubble wrap butting up against. Than I just sealed all and any screws that hold the cowl down. To do thie it is best to take the windshield wipers off unscrew the cowl, and lift it, so you can get under the cowl...You don't nesessarly have to use bubble wrap aluminum mailers. Balck Plastic bag will work fine...Leak is history... POWER WASHED THE PASSENGER SIDE WINDSHIELD....NO LEAK !!!

I have a 2002 Avalanche that is leaking water through the blower motor on the passenger side. Going to try to take it apart and reseal the seam inside the cowl area first to see if that will cure my problem. Then if that fails I will tackle the fender area next. Already had it to three or four shops (hundreds of dollars each time) with no resolution. I can see where the seam sealer is on mine when I took the cowl off. It did not appear to be bad but I only looked at the center area. I think once I get the second cover off on the passenger side I will see defective sealer there. Wish me luck! I will be back wed to update my findings. (also expecting rain on wed)

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeingpepper View Post
    Updated link:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...-friendly.html

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast