GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

96-99 Vortec Intake Replacement with Marine

This is a discussion on 96-99 Vortec Intake Replacement with Marine within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; You can get GMPP large and smallport iron Vortecs, as well as Fastburn large port aluminum heads. All of these ...

Re: 96-99 Vortec Intake Replacement with Marine

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    You can get GMPP large and smallport iron Vortecs, as well as Fastburn large port aluminum heads. All of these will outflow the LT1 head(same ports as L31) but the LT1 is aluminum thus allowing for 1 full comp. point increase for a power increase.

With the GMPP Fastburns, you can get the Ramjet intake manifold and use your existing Vortec computer to drive whatever high impedance injectors you want. I'm using 24 lb/hr.

I think it is pricey, but the Ramjet would work well.

Magna charger also makes a supercharger- intake-fuel rail combo for Vortec heads. I'm sure that its also pricey.

You could also just keep your heads, use a Vortec carb intake, install throttle body, drill injector bungs, get fuelrails, external fpr and get a computer tune. You can buy the tool that drills the injector pockets, as well as fuel rails. Theres some Mickey mousing this way but can be made to work.

All of the following info is for 350/305 L31/L30's, stock Vortec Gen 1e PCM's only
    Ed Wright at Fastchips can program for different injectors on has not tuned a Marine intake yet, has tuned TPI's and homemade intakes, confirmed by email.

Lyndon at Wester's garage here in Canada can also program for different sized injectors on VORTEC TRUCK PCM's, has not tuned a Marine intake yet, has tuned TPI intakes and homemades confirmed personally.

Tunercat has a system to calibrate all systems of the Vortec Gen 1 enhanced Vortec trucks. It has been proven on 1 marine intake manifold and numerous custom and TPI intake manifolds.

If I had the money I would do a Ramjet Fastburn combo.
    I wanted everything intake related except fuel injectors stock and in the stock location. I got the manifold and injectors cheap, the intake ports are ever so larger than the truck intake and it was engineered by GM, so the fuel rails and everything fit together, perfectly without modification, so I went the Marine route. the marine intake's fuel rail is also able to be raised if one wanted to use NOS's NOSzzle direct port nitrous injection system and the marine intake can withstand more boost pressure than the stock truck intake(burst pressure is supposed to be 12psi for the stock composite/alum). To be honest, I'm just tickled pink that the stock poppet style non upgardeable fuel injector/poppets are gone. No longer am I stuck under 325 rwhp, due too fuel starvation.

The cheapest way for you too ditch the stock popet fuel injection would be too find a used marine intake, I'll be doing my marine manifold retrofit for under $1000 US, if I get a very, very cheap tune. Prolly 12-1300 with tune, if necessary, some of us in the marine experiment are looking at adjustable inline fuel pressure regulators for tuning with fuel pressue. It looks as though an adjustable FPR for a supercharged 3.8L engine will work with the stock marine intergrated regulator design. The marine regulator is rated at 4 bar or 58psi, same as the stock Vortec system. this would be fine if I were installing 19lb injectors, but I'm installing 24's so I may need to lower my FP until tuned.

Maybe a Gen 3/4 swap is in order, it could be cheaper to install a used LS1/2/6 computer and all and have at least 300 rwhp to start with.

PS the T56 manual is the same length and spline as your 4l60e, no driveshaft mod. at all, use a 94-97 6speed tranny from an Fbody camaro or TA
    take care man, hope this helps

Peace
    Pauly
    Last edited by Pauly; 07-17-2005 at 10:47 PM.

1972 Chevy Beauville Diamond Jim's Avatar

Flow isn't everything, the effeciency of the combustion chamber shape, cooler temperature of the heads, and more C/R allow the LT1 heads to produce more power. Besides this is about doing it cheaply, which was one of your points as to why the Marine intake was so desirable. Also as you were so quick to point out the injector sizes is limited with the Vortec, you can't make horsepower with little injectors. Make up your mind.
    Last edited by Diamond Jim; 07-19-2005 at 02:07 AM.
    Diamond Jim
    98 Burb, 5.7L, 2500LS, 4X4; 80 GMC 383, , Long bed; 74 Dually Flatbed 350; 73 Short bed 350 4X4; 41 Chevy Master Deluxe, 327/375hp Rochester FI; 89 Fleetwood Bounder, 2 ton Chevy Chassis, 454/TH425

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Jim
    Flow isn't everything, the effeciency of the combustion chamber shape, cooler temperature of the heads, and more C/R allow the LT1 heads to produce more power. Besides this is about doing it cheaply, which was one of your points as to why the Marine intake was so desirable. Also as you were so quick to point out the injector sizes is limited with the Vortec, you can't make horsepower with little injectors. Make up your mind.
    I dont have to make up my mind, its not my truck, I am presenting all options to this guy, so he can make up HIS mind. Your input is just one way to use different injectors with the LT1. There are many ways to skin a cat.
    With the stock truck Vortec system, there are no other choices rather than using the stock 19 lb/hr "poppet valve injectors".(garbage) However, if you get ANY intake manifold that will hold high impedance injectors(LS1, TPI, LT1, LT4, Accel, slp,Ford 5.0 etc.) that fits the Vortec heads, you can make it work with the stock PCM in your truck.

I dont consider a complete: head(+ head mods to work on Gen 1-E), intake manifold(+ intake mods, injectors, and header(exhaust manifold) LT1 swap the most economical swap. Especially for MAYBE 30 hp. I just couldnt justify the time and money to just step up a little to the LT1 head over the L31, personally. This is comparing a stock L31 350 to a stock LT1 350.

If you want to play, you gotta pay. You are either going to pay in time and effort with the Lt1 swap, or $$$$$ to do it any other way.

Do what you want its your truck.

Thanks for giving me some great information. It looks like there are several ways to approach my truck. I do want to keep it an automatic so the manual is out. I also need it to be a 4x4 for winter use. What I want is just a junk yard salvage trip that would replace any or all of the engine that would keep it as simple as possible and get the most bang for my buck. My truck has 116k on it now and only recently has it cost me any money. Since gas is really $$$$$$$$$$$ I want to make sure that it will burn the 87 octane stuff. Keeping my stock computer would also be nice to keep cost down.
    Right now I would estimate that the RWHP is about 190 ? Its stock except for after cat exhaust. If it was 350-400 then I know I will be happy. I also want the transmission to be able to hold up as well. (wifey won't like dropping another grand down the road )

So... back to my original question. Dealer states that the FPR needs replacement because both banks running lean.(they want $330 to replace the FPR) Should I do the swap of the heads and intake now or get the upgrade MPFI injector set(complete set for $260 I install ) and hold out for a better engine. The truck has a perfect body and I like this body style over the new ones(bigger for our yearly trips to the outer banks).

Thanks again for the help. Jim you stated that there were several sites that for the LT1 swap. Could you post them for me thanks. I contacted a company out in TX, HPsalvage.com but the owner told me that he is not doing any swaps at this time. His site has a lot of cool engine swaps on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputydawg
    Thanks for giving me some great information. It looks like there are several ways to approach my truck. I do want to keep it an automatic so the manual is out. I also need it to be a 4x4 for winter use. What I want is just a junk yard salvage trip that would replace any or all of the engine that would keep it as simple as possible and get the most bang for my buck. My truck has 116k on it now and only recently has it cost me any money. Since gas is really $$$$$$$$$$$ I want to make sure that it will burn the 87 octane stuff. Keeping my stock computer would also be nice to keep cost down.
    Right now I would estimate that the RWHP is about 190 ? Its stock except for after cat exhaust. If it was 350-400 then I know I will be happy. I also want the transmission to be able to hold up as well. (wifey won't like dropping another grand down the road )

So... back to my original question. Dealer states that the FPR needs replacement because both banks running lean.(they want $330 to replace the FPR) Should I do the swap of the heads and intake now or get the upgrade MPFI injector set(complete set for $260 I install ) and hold out for a better engine. The truck has a perfect body and I like this body style over the new ones(bigger for our yearly trips to the outer banks).

Thanks again for the help. Jim you stated that there were several sites that for the LT1 swap. Could you post them for me thanks. I contacted a company out in TX, HPsalvage.com but the owner told me that he is not doing any swaps at this time. His site has a lot of cool engine swaps on it.
    Getting the upgrade MPFI spider that can run at 100psi all day long is a good idea, while they are in there doing the FPR. Itll buy you some time until you get your intake squared away.

Registered Neanderthal

Just my $.02, the FPR on my Tahoe just went out again. Only lasted a year. I'm almost finished installing a carb on a Vortec Air-Gap intake. The intake is from Professional Products and has bosses on the runners where it could be drilled for injectors. It was $150 I think. If you're just looking for cheap, the FPR itself is about $80 and removing the upper intake is easier than it looks.
    2010 Tahoe 1LT (wife)
    2010 Silverado LT, Ext Cab Z71- CCM 2.5" Leveling Kit, add-a-leaf

http://www.mtoddbayliss.com

Anyone out there who has done the upgrade injector change who can walk me through it? I would appreciate any help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12