GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Air leak from intake cover near fuel lines

This is a discussion on Air leak from intake cover near fuel lines within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi Guys, I have a 96 Tahoe and recently replaced the Fuel pressure regulator. After installing everything back together the ...

Air leak from intake cover near fuel lines

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi Guys,

I have a 96 Tahoe and recently replaced the Fuel pressure regulator. After installing everything back together the car idles very rough and rpm jump to 1500 and down to 500. I hear a loud air leak coming from the intake cover where the fuel lines go into the spider assembly. I used a flat head and pryed up the assembly and the leak goes away and car idles nicely. What did i do wrong whem installing the cover back?

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Air leak from intake cover near fuel lines

Might not apply in your case but I've noticed that the orange seal that goes around the spider assembly can get pinched out from the seat on the spider assembly and not properly seal to the plenum cover. If you take the cover off you might notice that seal has been stretched. If so you should replace the seal and use some sort of lube to help slip it passed the plenum cover.
    '99 S10 4.3L-V6. Extended Cab.
    -3/4, V1 removed... even slower.
    F$#K Blowers.. Doing a SyTy Turbo Swap
    Truck Stuff - '85 KR RZ350

1972 Chevy Beauville Diamond Jim's Avatar

Your fuel metering body or whatever it's called isn't seated in the top intake manifold. Take it back off, and make sure the "O" ring is in the grove, then oil it down good with 30W. when upu pit it back together you should be able to seat it in the upper manifold. When its seated it will have a catch on each side that will hold it up.
    Diamond Jim
    98 Burb, 5.7L, 2500LS, 4X4; 80 GMC 383, , Long bed; 74 Dually Flatbed 350; 73 Short bed 350 4X4; 41 Chevy Master Deluxe, 327/375hp Rochester FI; 89 Fleetwood Bounder, 2 ton Chevy Chassis, 454/TH425

Thanks a lot guys!.. I will check it out when I have a chance. I changed the regulator in a rush and didn't notice if the spider assembly 'locked' or clicked in place to the cover. Thanks again

Chris