GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

A/C Low pressure valve

This is a discussion on A/C Low pressure valve within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; On the low presure side hose where you fill the A/C my schrader valve is bad. This is the valve ...

A/C Low pressure valve

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    On the low presure side hose where you fill the A/C my schrader valve is bad. This is the valve right above the A/C compressor. It has a black cap that covers it. Any one ever replaced this or know where I can get a new one? I'm assuming it unscrews like the valves on tires do. Am I right?
    Hell it's almost new again!

New: altenator, battery, ignition, waterpump, radiator, electric fan, powersteering hose, spark plug wires, front brakes, rear axle (14 bolt SF), rear brakes, heater fan, stereo, speakers. Wait4Me PCM, 2" Body lift, K&N

Re: A/C Low pressure valve

yes - but you will need to evac the ac system first - unless it is empty now.
    if not the system is under pressure
    1991 Silverado RCLB 5.7, 700R4 - built, 3.42, 180F stat, March crank pulley, NGK's, MSD 8.5 wires, MSD coil, 2.0 in TBI spacer, TBI pod spacer, K&N, Homemade twin Ram Air, Magnaflow Cat, 3" 40 series Flowmaster & 3" tailpipe, 2"/3" drop, 158k miles,
    AIM = Buyer Beware

The system is empty now because the pin won't pop out all of the way and keep the system from leaking. I didn't find this out until my A/C was low and I took off the cap to check the freon level. The cap must have been holding in the freon and leaking very slowly since I used the A/C for 2 years before it went out.

Do you know where i can get a replacement?

New: altenator, battery, ignition, waterpump, radiator, electric fan, powersteering hose, spark plug wires, front brakes, rear axle (14 bolt SF), rear brakes, heater fan, stereo, speakers. Wait4Me PCM, 2" Body lift, K&N

Dealership I'm sure, shouldn't be too expensive for a valve...

ant good parts store - cheap
    1991 Silverado RCLB 5.7, 700R4 - built, 3.42, 180F stat, March crank pulley, NGK's, MSD 8.5 wires, MSD coil, 2.0 in TBI spacer, TBI pod spacer, K&N, Homemade twin Ram Air, Magnaflow Cat, 3" 40 series Flowmaster & 3" tailpipe, 2"/3" drop, 158k miles,
    AIM = Buyer Beware

Your local Napa store and don't forget the valve removal/installation tool too.

Thanks guys,

I was thinking local parts stores wouldn't carry it, mostly small branches of Autozone and Checkers, I forgot about Napa. The dealer is obviously a good choice but I didn't think about that either. I must be getting old. I'm forgeting common knoweldge stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 96Yukon
    On the low presure side hose where you fill the A/C my schrader valve is bad. This is the valve right above the A/C compressor. It has a black cap that covers it. Any one ever replaced this or know where I can get a new one? I'm assuming it unscrews like the valves on tires do. Am I right?
    did you ever fix the problem? my '98 yukon is giving me the same prob... where did you get the valve and tool from? was it hard to replace?

SWBLS12B

Quote Originally Posted by kAdUkUbOy
    did you ever fix the problem? my '98 yukon is giving me the same prob... where did you get the valve and tool from? was it hard to replace?
    On the 98 you are going to be better off replaceing the entire quik connect fitting. That is what I did on my 99. It is easy. They say you can replace the core but, I figured it would be safer to do the entire fitting.
    88 Ext. cab longbed TPI 350
    99 Suburban LS Vortec 350
    90 SWB Silverado 5.3l and 4l60e 4 sale will part out
    2003 Z66 Avalanche

Quote Originally Posted by long&low
    On the 98 you are going to be better off replaceing the entire quik connect fitting. That is what I did on my 99. It is easy. They say you can replace the core but, I figured it would be safer to do the entire fitting.

I am having the same problem on my '99 5.7...What exactly do I need to ask for and should I go to a dealer or NAPA? Also, when replaced, does the fitting need any sealant or no? Thanks...Scott

digging up old threads... . I have to do this today also. Any input on price of the valves would be great.
    Last edited by Primetime1267; 04-09-2008 at 03:43 AM.

99 Chevy Tahoe White - Fabtech 7.5", Moto Metal"954" 20's with Nitto Terra Grapplers 35's, Yukon 4.56 gears

all good--I got my kit from NAPA for 10 bucks and slapped it in.. Took care of all of my leaking from the valve.

99 Chevy Tahoe White - Fabtech 7.5", Moto Metal"954" 20's with Nitto Terra Grapplers 35's, Yukon 4.56 gears