***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Throttle body spacer problem

This is a discussion on Throttle body spacer problem within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I installed a throttle body spacer today and when I started my truck it wouldn't stay running. I would give ...

2 n da pink, 1 n da stink Bigtown88's Avatar

Throttle body spacer problem

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I installed a throttle body spacer today and when I started my truck it wouldn't stay running. I would give it gas and it would hesitate, almost stall, then it would rev up. It wouldn't idle at all. Has anyone had this problem after installing a throttle body spacer? What could be causing this?
    96 K1500 Z71 ECSB 5.7, Wait4me Tune, Dual Magnaflow SS Cat-Back, K&N CAI

1972 Chevy Beauville Diamond Jim's Avatar

Re: Throttle body spacer problem

Throtle body spacers work best on carb and tbi motors. Contrary to claims made by the people selling them they don't do a thing for Vortec motors. They do make a good base for drilling and tapping for nitrous fitings. With that said, look at the throtle linkage, maybe you have to bend the mounting bracket at the throtle body. With the emgine turned off, try bending it until there is just a little slack in the linkage, then bend it just enough to take the slack out of it. Sometimes this has to be done on the vortec engines after the intake manifold gaskets are replaced, and the braket gets bent, while its being worked on.
    Diamond Jim
    98 Burb, 5.7L, 2500LS, 4X4; 80 GMC 383, , Long bed; 74 Dually Flatbed 350; 73 Short bed 350 4X4; 41 Chevy Master Deluxe, 327/375hp Rochester FI; 89 Fleetwood Bounder, 2 ton Chevy Chassis, 454/TH425

This happened on a friend of mines truck and it was the gasket between the throttle body and the spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by dallaspeed
    This happened on a friend of mines truck and it was the gasket between the throttle body and the spacer.
    like he sed it's most probly the gasket you need to replace em when you pull it off most of the time they tear and it pisses it off and makes it run like crap.
    "SOLD" 2006 onyx Black GMC sierra Crew Cab SLT 2"rear drop, tinted, Magnaflow exhaust, 3.73 with posi!!

I forgot to mention that when I first started my truck after installing the tb spacer the check engine light was on. I disconnected the positive battery cable for a minute, reconnected it and that worked.

I don't think it's the gasket because the tb spacer came with two new gaskets. The problem may be what Diamond Jim was talking about but I'm not convinced because it acted like there was a vacuum leak. Another way to explain how it would run is how an engine runs when the choke is on. I would give it gas and it would sputter, almost stall and then would rev, but not smoothly. Any ideas?

If it is the throttle cable braket, couldn't I just adjust the idle screw instead of bending it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtown88
    If it is the throttle cable braket, couldn't I just adjust the idle screw instead of bending it?
    Yeah you could, but the reason I suggest bending it is that the throtle body sets 1 inch higher with the spacer added, and its most likely not aligned right.
    Diamond Jim
    98 Burb, 5.7L, 2500LS, 4X4; 80 GMC 383, , Long bed; 74 Dually Flatbed 350; 73 Short bed 350 4X4; 41 Chevy Master Deluxe, 327/375hp Rochester FI; 89 Fleetwood Bounder, 2 ton Chevy Chassis, 454/TH425

The tb spacer came with a spacer for the throttle bracket so everything would line up. Does the computer need time to adjust to the spacer? I'm going to re-install the spacer this weekend. I will have more time to figure it out. If all else fails I'll have an expensive paperweight. From what I've heard they don't do much anyway.

Does the computer need time to adjust to the spacer?
    I had the same motor and a spacer, yes it needs time to adjust (anytime you remove a battery cable, which you should) but nothing you would notice. Your motor should not run rough or exhibit the symptoms you described.

It's strange the way it reacted to the tb spacer. I must be missing something because after I take it off and put it back to stock it runs perfect.

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

sound like a step was missed installing it. did you put the spacer in for the throttle linkage? sure it was mounted flush?

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

Yeah I put the spacer on the throttle bracket. The only problem I had was after I put the spacer on, the black plastic tube (not sure what it's called) from the valve cover wasn't long enough to connect to the intake assembly from the filter box. I was able to get it on for the most part but had to slide the tube out of the rubber elbow a little to get some additional length so it would fit. Would this cause the problem I was having?

Yeah I put the spacer on the throttle bracket. The only problem I had was after I put the spacer on, the black plastic tube (not sure what it's called) from the valve cover wasn't long enough to connect to the intake assembly from the filter box. I was able to get it on for the most part but had to slide the tube out of the rubber elbow a little to get some additional length so it would fit. Would this cause the problem I was having?
    That's possible. I had the same issue but I used a small hose clamp to keep it on.

It's strange the way it reacted to the tb spacer. I must be missing something because after I take it off and put it back to stock it runs perfect.
    Clean it up, put it back in the box and sell it to somebody on eBay and get some of your money back. It doesn't do a thing for your vortec engine except make a funny sound.

The benefit from throtle body spacers on carb'ed and TBI engines was that it added distance and volumn to allow the fuel/air mixture more time etc, to mix, and this improved mix is what provided the increased performance.

On SFI and TPI systems the fuel injectors are at the end of the runners just before the intake valves, and there is no benefit from a spacer where it is located. The intake runners on the heads of these engines do a really good job of routing the air for maximum swrill and getting it into the cylinders with out the fuel falling out of the mix. That is why these heads are producing more horsepower than even the famous "double hump" fuel injection heads form the Vette's that was so desirable for so many years. Anyone that will tell you different is in the bussiness of selling these things to get your money!
    Diamond Jim