If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Hot to check for bent frame?

This is a discussion on Hot to check for bent frame? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; The Tahoe has been driving worse and worse lately, and i cant figure out what it is. Ive never been ...

Hot to check for bent frame?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    The Tahoe has been driving worse and worse lately, and i cant figure out what it is. Ive never been in anything more than a fender bender, but i started wondering if maybe my frame is tweaked a little. How do you determine if your frame is bent at all?

Re: Hot to check for bent frame?

Measuring a frame out aint too bad. If you arent goin to have a shop check it for ya, you can measure it out with a tape measure. just measure from symetrical points from each side to a set middle. Measure in a X pattern between the different points in the frame. The numbers should always coincide, but there is a set amount of lee-way as far as a bent frame. Such as measure the distances between framerails, and to the ground at different points, and to the body itself. Can lead you to find other problems as well with cab mounting and bad body mounts. Its not hard to figure out if you think about it for a sec, which angles and measurements should be the same and which will of course be different. I know measuring under there has helped me find bends in lift kits, and broken components. Just fyi, otherwise ide have a frame shop check it to within tolerable limits.

ill probably do both.

Do they actually have frame specific shops. Ive never seen one or heard of one before

Thanks btw.

Most any body shop has a frame pulling machine and knows how to measure it to specs. We have a couple frame specific shops around here that specialize in frame swaps, dunno about your general area. Mostly dealerships fixing wrecks use them.

alright ill ask the bodyshop i usually go to thanks

I work in a body shop in a chevy dealership and see frame swaps all the time...any body shop should have a frame machine and measuring system. How much it will cost you to have checked out....I dont know...but well worth checking...

Yea take it to a frame shop if you want to be sure. I do know a new frame costs right at 4 grand on a 01 reg. cab long bed 4x4. They claim they can even cut out the bad section such as a crossmember and weld in a good one from a salvage yard truck.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

for now:

water down an area in your drive way, drive through it straight and see if your tracks look right, or if the tires look way to fat.
    Selling a front Chevy Dana 60, 5.38s welded, $1000 never run, PM for more
    1992 K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel/4L80e/4.10s (sas with Dana 60 just sitting around waiting for a rainy day)
    '84 K10, 6" Tuff Country, now 1 ton frame swap and Cummins swap have begun
    Veteran of Afghanistan (Army SGT)