GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

truck shuts off

This is a discussion on truck shuts off within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i need a little help diagnosing a problem with hown my truck is running. when i start it up after ...

truck shuts off

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i need a little help diagnosing a problem with hown my truck is running.
    when i start it up after its sat for some time the engine starts then quickly stumbles and shuts off. then it starts up and idles. then when it idles in gear the engine just shuts off it will also shut off of you turn the wheels will its sitting still in gear. foot on the brake and a/c is off. does not seem to shut off in nuetral when stopped engine works ok while driving or anytime on the gas

i have done a major tune up (plugs wires cap and rotor pcv valve oil change reset base timing even advanced timing little) condition still happens after tune up.

the engine has an ignition box, jet chip, tb spacer, gibson headers all mods have been on for some time now

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    92 RCSB
    350 TBI w/ 700r4
    4/6 drop
    AMERICAN RACING TORQUE THRUST II
    18X7 FRONT 20X8 REAR

Re: truck shuts off

i guess i posted this in the wrong place - great
    92 RCSB
    350 TBI w/ 700r4
    4/6 drop
    18X7 FRONT 20X8 REAR

i had a similar problem w/ mine. IAC got stuck out and was choking the engine at idle. rev it up, itd be fine. only did it when engine was cold. could possibly be a tps too.
    92 chevy ecsb 4wd
    350 w/ chip, msd digital 6+ w/ coil, electric fans, throttle spacer, raptor level 4 trans w/ 1800 stall, 3.42 auburn pro series, alpine system, smoked taillights, and a totaled (speed dent) pass. door

I'd check the IAC

hey last week something similar happened to me and my 97 chevy 1500 2wd, the truck died at a light coming home from work, but started right back up, i figured something in the fuel system, i checked out the fuel pump relay and it was burnt up a little on one of the pegs, i replaced that and the fuel filter, still it would start and idle for a second the die...fire then die. I was stumped thought it was something hiding deep in the electrical system, so i had it diagnosed at the dealership, they said my Jet PCM had shorted out but they unhooked it and it was fine...later that night after driving only 10 miles it died again. this time it would idle for a while then die, or drive a couple hundred yards then die. Turned out to be a connector for the peg on the fuel pump relay, when the truck gets hot, it shorts out the fuel pump relay, turns the fuel pump off the the truck cant maintain adaquete fuel pressure. just telling what happened to me, hopefully it will help you

cool ill check the IAC thanks for the info
    92 RCSB
    350 TBI w/ 700r4
    4/6 drop
    18X7 FRONT 20X8 REAR

Resident FSC Canadian CHEV4LIFE's Avatar

why did you post this twice?

becuase i thaught i posted it in the wrong place, sorry.
    92 RCSB
    350 TBI w/ 700r4
    4/6 drop
    18X7 FRONT 20X8 REAR

Resident FSC Canadian CHEV4LIFE's Avatar

ok, understandable, i just dont like replying then finding the same thread like 2 different times in different places

i just bought a 2001 silverado ext cab with the 4.8 v8(51000 miles) and it dose the same thing. sometimes it just dies after it starts, sometimes it dies after im in gear(usally in reverse pulling out of driveway,or parking space). it dosent do it all the time and it dosent matter if its cold or hot.if i start it and keep the rpm up and let it stay at 1000 rpm for a few seconds it fixes it. when it dose it it acts like the idle speed is just too low (500 rpm)when it starts normal the idle is at 700 rpm. (all this is with the air on) there are no messages or lights coming on when it dies.i was thinking that the fuel filter might need to be changed, but it runs too good at all rpm and once its running it is smooth.i also have the abs light on all the time the dealer says that they will fix it. i should probally have them fix the stalling problem too but i dont want to leave my truck with them that long.

My truck is having kind of the same problem. Sometimes it shuts off right after I start it. Sometimes it shut off while driving (pretty scary), and most times it wont start at all. I turn the ignition and it seems like there's no power at all. I shake the battery cables and then power comes back to the truck. It led me to believe that maybe the cables were loose so I tightened the cables and still no luck. And the cables being loose still don't explain why it shuts off while driving because the power comes from the alternator and not the battery.

Any thoughts?