GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5.3L oil filter...is there a longer version?

This is a discussion on 5.3L oil filter...is there a longer version? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Im ready to do my first oil change on the 5.3L, the manual says PF46 but damn that thing looks ...

JB

5.3L oil filter...is there a longer version?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Im ready to do my first oil change on the 5.3L, the manual says PF46 but damn that thing looks like the size of the filter on my lawn tractor.....does anyone have a # for a longer version?

Also....are WIX filters any good?
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

typical custom user title OKLAGMCRUISER's Avatar

Re: 5.3L oil filter...is there a longer version?

Joe

I just use the Mobil 1 filter - MI-206
    why do you want a longer filter?
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

JB

so your saying PF59 ?
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

typical custom user title OKLAGMCRUISER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB
    so your saying PF59 ?
    no i searched pf59...hehe...cause I couldn't remember if it was pf58 or 9, but the 9 is the one with the antidrain back valve and that's the one you want...pf58 doesn't have an adbv.

JB

Hmmm, well searching around fram they call for a different filter for the 2005's than my old 2000 so apparently GM did make some sorta change.
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

I just got a PF61 for my 99 4.8l. Is that the right one? I thought it was PF59 but they didnt have one at Auto Zone. The book there said PF61. Who's correct?

Jason
    The opinions expressed above are purely my own.

JB

Well looking at WIX website, GM went to a smaller filter in 2003 but all the gasket dims and thread are the same as the longer version

99-2002 4.526" length
    2003-2005 3.404" length

Think this has anything to do with the tick-tick cold start?
    Last edited by JB; 07-11-2005 at 02:24 PM.
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

i've used the pf59 since day one in my 2000, 2003, and 2004. I could never tell the difference (the 2003 and 2004 came with the short one). I like the added filtering.

07 silverado, 2" level kit, 295 nittos, 5% tint, linex

Joe

No :LOL:

What is the advantage to running a taller filter other then the extra oil
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

Havasu Realtor

Nope. Not one bit. imo

Quote Originally Posted by gmcjoe
    No :LOL:

What is the advantage to running a taller filter other then the extra oil
    Me either.

Advantage of more filter area.

JB, if you got the longer one, is there any way that it would hang down lower than the oil pan? Maybe thats why?
    02 gmc, ecsb, 5.3, 4.10's .... Averaging 25 mph.
    6"rcd, 315's, 16x8's. Cognito idler/pitman arm brace with new arms. Replaced water pump, twice. Steering clunk... of course.

Just remember this, we tell our customers who ask about the filter difference. GM calls for a specific filter. If you change it and have engine problems down the road, filter related or not. GM can void the engine warranty for not using the proper filter. If you are not worried about this and have a close relationship with your dealership then go for it. Just a lil more oil capacity and a lil more filtering. Enough to make a noticeable difference? Probably not.

GARAGE:
    03 Yukon
    02 Tahoe "HDHOE"
    09 Malibu
    00 Impala
    94 Z71
    55 Chevy Stepside

Havasu Realtor

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    .......... Just a lil more oil capacity and a lil more filtering. Enough to make a noticeable difference? Probably not.
    I agree. Especially when you take into account frequent oil changes.

I have always just used the factory filter in all of my past GMs. When I found out that the factory oil filter in my 88 toyota was better than most every aftermarket filter at the time I stopped blindly buying Frams because they were "Frams" and started doing better research than just listening to my old-school friends.
    02 gmc, ecsb, 5.3, 4.10's .... Averaging 25 mph.
    6"rcd, 315's, 16x8's. Cognito idler/pitman arm brace with new arms. Replaced water pump, twice. Steering clunk... of course.

Im ready to do my first oil change
    Already have 3,000 miles JB? I would stick to the same size. Maybe go with a better brand like mobile1 or k&n.

Project- 1976 C-10 472 Cadillac Big Block
    -Chad

JB

No, I have 1000 miles now and I wanna get rid of the break-in oil and run mobil 1.

I even bought a GM mobil 1 labeled oil filler cap (got the # from gmcjoe)
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

No, I have 1000 miles now and I wanna get rid of the break-in oil and run mobil 1.

I even bought a GM mobil 1 labeled oil filler cap (got the # from gmcjoe)
    Good idea! Iv'e been running mobile 1 the day I bought mine and always wanted to buy the cap but keep forgeting. If you don't mind saying...how much was it?

-Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Just remember this, we tell our customers who ask about the filter difference. GM calls for a specific filter. If you change it and have engine problems down the road, filter related or not. GM can void the engine warranty for not using the proper filter. If you are not worried about this and have a close relationship with your dealership then go for it. Just a lil more oil capacity and a lil more filtering. Enough to make a noticeable difference? Probably not.

Actually no, they can't do that...

Under certain conditions...

1) The filter gasket size is the same
    2) The filter thread sizes are the same

Warranties are protected under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

That link is lots of boring reading, but it's there to prove I'm not making this up.

As long as the consumer uses an oil filter that has both conditions listed above as well as being OEM approved to meet or exceed OEM conditions...

You are free to use any brand/size of filter you want.

GM and other auto makers can recommend something, but they cannot require it to be used unless said part/filter is paid for and covered under warranty.

IE: You put a Fram filter on your truck, it meets all three conditions, and you blow a motor.

Unless GM supplies you with that filter, they cannot claim it against the warranty.

We actually have a Ford dealership in town here (I won't name names) that tells consumers if you buy a truck from them, and DO NOT get the oil changed BY them, your warranty is voided.

They only TELL customers that. They do not put it in writing. And any mention of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act gets them scared.

I've thought about putting copies of the act on the windshields of their trucks, but that is probably illegal. So I haven't.

Here's the flip side...

These are all Fram part numbers because that's all I have memorized, so you might have to cross reference them yourself...

But Fram PH-3506 is what is recommended to be put on all GM trucks with the 4.8 and 5.3 liter motors.

Fram PH-3675 is recommended for 6.0L motors.

The gasket and thread sizes on those two filters are the same. They are interchangable. (Different brands might be different, not too sure.)

Personally, I use the smaller 3506 on my truck, for a couple reasons... One is that the larger filter is the same diameter, but longer by an inch or two.

Any longer than those couple inches, and you'll be close to hanging below the engine and maybe below that skidplate.

And other than the inch or two of extra capacity, you probably won't see any benefits. Including oil cooling.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by blazenlo95
    Good idea! Iv'e been running mobile 1 the day I bought mine and always wanted to buy the cap but keep forgeting. If you don't mind saying...how much was it?
    It was only like $5

www.partszoneonline.com for image or ordering or order thru Mark
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

It was only like $5

www.partszoneonline.com for image or ordering or order thru Mark
    Wow thats alot cheaper than I remember it being. Thanks for the link and part#.

-Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac
    Actually no, they can't do that...

Under certain conditions...

1) The filter gasket size is the same
    2) The filter thread sizes are the same

Warranties are protected under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

That link is lots of boring reading, but it's there to prove I'm not making this up.

As long as the consumer uses an oil filter that has both conditions listed above as well as being OEM approved to meet or exceed OEM conditions...

You are free to use any brand/size of filter you want.

GM and other auto makers can recommend something, but they cannot require it to be used unless said part/filter is paid for and covered under warranty.

IE: You put a Fram filter on your truck, it meets all three conditions, and you blow a motor.

Unless GM supplies you with that filter, they cannot claim it against the warranty.

We actually have a Ford dealership in town here (I won't name names) that tells consumers if you buy a truck from them, and DO NOT get the oil changed BY them, your warranty is voided.

They only TELL customers that. They do not put it in writing. And any mention of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act gets them scared.

I've thought about putting copies of the act on the windshields of their trucks, but that is probably illegal. So I haven't.

Here's the flip side...

These are all Fram part numbers because that's all I have memorized, so you might have to cross reference them yourself...

But Fram PH-3506 is what is recommended to be put on all GM trucks with the 4.8 and 5.3 liter motors.

Fram PH-3675 is recommended for 6.0L motors.

The gasket and thread sizes on those two filters are the same. They are interchangable. (Different brands might be different, not too sure.)

Personally, I use the smaller 3506 on my truck, for a couple reasons... One is that the larger filter is the same diameter, but longer by an inch or two.

Any longer than those couple inches, and you'll be close to hanging below the engine and maybe below that skidplate.

And other than the inch or two of extra capacity, you probably won't see any benefits. Including oil cooling.
    that's good to hear. This is what was told by my mgr. Maybe he has an old way of thinking. But I do know that is is not to scare anyone. He just doesn't want to get into the blame game. He does not want to get into trouble with GM when a customer comes in and requests a certain filter and we sell it to him and it gets punctured for being too long or for some reason screws with the engine and GM asks us why we installed it knowing it was what they called for. My manager won't do it unless it is documented that you requested that this certain filter be used.

GARAGE:
    03 Yukon
    02 Tahoe "HDHOE"
    09 Malibu
    00 Impala
    94 Z71
    55 Chevy Stepside

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast