If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Truck wont start, just get backfires and....

This is a discussion on Truck wont start, just get backfires and.... within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have an 85 c-10 with a 305. I just got done pulling the motor and replacing the oil pump ...

Truck wont start, just get backfires and....

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have an 85 c-10 with a 305. I just got done pulling the motor and replacing the oil pump shaft (Yes, I know I didnt have to pull the motor to do that, but there is more to the story). So anyways, I get the motor back in and connect everything up and the engine will turn over, but I am getting backfires and I even got a small fire in the carb when it was trying to start. I have the distributor set at the closest position that I can to how it was (the timing)when I removed it. I put all the plug wires back in and put them in the correct order as far as I know. What would cause this? Is this due to wrong firing order? Maybe I thought I had #1 at TDC and it wasnt? Any ideas? Thanks in Advance.
    85 Chevy C-10 V-8 Swap Complete

98 Firebird Formula
    12.18@120

Vortec 6 ****in' liter V8 85-bowtie's Avatar

Re: Truck wont start, just get backfires and....

sounds to me like it is a timing problem

2002 ECLB Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2003 ECSB Silverado 2500HD 6.0/ 4L80e totalled
    1985 RCSB C10 TBI 350/ 700r4

try turning the distributor 180 degrees. if that dont work ur gonna have to set #1 on the compression stroke and then drop the dist. back in

Quote Originally Posted by 1ugly88
    try turning the distributor 180 degrees. if that dont work ur gonna have to set #1 on the compression stroke and then drop the dist. back in

What a genius!

Oh, and I am a dumbass. Thanks for the input. I took the cap off and noticed that the rotor was at the opposite side of where it should be.I could have sworn I positioned the rotor in the correct spot, but apparently not. Thanks for the input guys. My truck is running like ****, but at least it is running now. I am in dire need of tuning and timing adjustments. Well, back to work!
    85 Chevy C-10 V-8 Swap Complete

98 Firebird Formula
    12.18@120