GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

broken off heater hose coupler in vortec intake manifold

This is a discussion on broken off heater hose coupler in vortec intake manifold within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; One of my dads customers asked us to take a look at his 98. He bumped the heater hose quick ...

broken off heater hose coupler in vortec intake manifold

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    One of my dads customers asked us to take a look at his 98. He bumped the heater hose quick disconnect deal at the front of the intake manifold and it just popped off cause it was old rusted and rotten. Now there is just the threads left in the intake and we can't get them out. We tried driving a chisel into the hole and twisting it to get it loose but its no use, its froze to the intake manifold. Is the intake going to have to come off to fix this? If so then we don't want to jack with it anymore. I know mine did this on the water pump so we just put a new 15 dollar water pump on it and the problem was solved.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Re: broken off heater hose coupler in vortec intake manifold

take a good size center punch and take half the point off with a grinding wheel.so one side has a good edge on it.you can chip out the pieces with it.clean the threads with 3/4 pipe thead tap.this works everytime.dont be afraid to chip right at the threads ,you can see the red sealer,the pop meatel will break away.

and dont pull the intake to do the job

This sounds like a little more then I want to do. If it was my own I would tackle it but since its not I don't think I want to screw with it. Thanks for your help.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Homesick NBer
    Edmonton, AB (but still an easterner at heart)

there are special tools to remove them, i have used them. they are like a really big torx bit that you drive into where its broke of.

Or grind down a hacksaw blade, and cut the pipe into 3 pieces and pry them out. Tap the thread, then install the new improved GM piece. Its not white metal. You cfan start the engine for a second to blow the little pieces out of the manifold. I have done this myself.

pauly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

I'll see what my dad thinks but I don't think he wants to mess with it either. Really what the truck needs is a crate motor and then it might actually have some power and we could just thread the new piece right in and go. All I hear is how much power OBS vortec's have and this truck will hardly pull itself and its like new with 60k on the clock and its a 350 with 4.10's. Maybe I can talk the owner into a TBI crate motor

that special tool doesnt work,but it does make the sides of the metal thinner.makes it easier to chip away

use a I.D. pipe wench, found at sears for about $20