If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Urgent! Need help hooking plug wires to distributor

This is a discussion on Urgent! Need help hooking plug wires to distributor within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have forgotten the order in which the spark plug wires hook up to the distributor. I have a pic ...

Urgent! Need help hooking plug wires to distributor

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have forgotten the order in which the spark plug wires hook up to the distributor. I have a pic of the distributor below. Could you guys either tell me the order and where to start the order or save the pic, use MS paint and draw on the pic which plug wire goes where, then post the edited pic(this would be the best)?

oh, and my truck has a 95 TBI 305 motor

I would be very grateful for your help.
    Last edited by 95Silverado; 10-02-2005 at 10:58 PM.

Born and Raised Chevrolet YenkoST's Avatar

Re: Urgent! Need help hooking plug wires to distributor

18436572 is the firing order

1990 Chevrolet C1500 Sport
    *The Hot Rod
    2011 Chevrolet Silverado 6.2L
    *Airaid MIT, Custom 2.5" true dual exhaust, 2/4 lowering kit, HIDs 4300k, HP Tuners
    2012 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L
    *Airaid CAI, HIDs 4300k, HP Tuners...soon to be lowered

Quote Originally Posted by YenkoST
    18436572 is the firing order
    yes, but how do I put the wires onto the distributor and where do I start the order at?

Well, you should have marked where the number 1 is but as long as you just follow this order around your distributor, you should be fine....just start at any one of them and follow 18436572 in a clockwise motion.

*The Hot Rod
    *Airaid MIT, Custom 2.5" true dual exhaust, 2/4 lowering kit, HIDs 4300k, HP Tuners

By the way...the coil wires goes in the middle.

*The Hot Rod

Quote Originally Posted by YenkoST
    Well, you should have marked where the number 1 is but as long as you just follow this order around your distributor, you should be fine....just start at any one of them and follow 18436572 in a clockwise motion.
    but doesn't it matter which ones they are on? I thought the #1 had to be on a certain one?

You can't just start anywhere you please. It will not run that way because the cam and the rotor position are related to eachother so that the valves are closed at the time the ingition fires through that particular wire. If you start anywhere, (unless your lucky enough to get it on the first try) you'll only get some backfiring when you turn it over.

Assuming your distributor and cam are in the correct position right now, you can set your engine to top dead center on the #1 cylinder and then use the rotor position under your cap as the starting point for the firing order 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2.

Well, when I put the distributor back in, I put it in the exact same position it was in when I took it out. And nothing on the motor has changed since I started working on it. So, in theory, anyone with a TBI 305 or possibly a 350 would have their plug wires in the same order as I need mine, correct?

Right. Actually I believe the firing order is the same for the big blocks too. If you put the distributor in the exact same way it came out, you can set TDC on the #1 cylinder and then lift off your cap to see which post your rotor is pointing at. This is your starting point in the firing order. Hope it works for ya.

1972 Chevy Beauville Diamond Jim's Avatar

If the distributer is in or close to the original factory position, the number one position is toward the front of the engine and is the left (drivers side) one.

front

--1-8--
    2-----4
    7-----3
    --5 6--
    Diamond Jim
    98 Burb, 5.7L, 2500LS, 4X4; 80 GMC 383, , Long bed; 74 Dually Flatbed 350; 73 Short bed 350 4X4; 41 Chevy Master Deluxe, 327/375hp Rochester FI; 89 Fleetwood Bounder, 2 ton Chevy Chassis, 454/TH425

I knew just by looking at it which one #1 was but couldn't think of a good way to describe it, so I figured instead giving an unclear description, just have him start from TDC. Diamond jim nailed it. If you understand what he showed, do that. It'll save you from wasting time.

Typical chevy small block wiring layout.
    Last edited by Buster88; 10-03-2005 at 06:57 AM.
    88' K1500 Silverado Reg.cab long bed 5.7 350/TBI :fsc:

Yea, I know...forgot to mention the TDC on the #1 though.

*The Hot Rod

well, I hooked up the plug wires as is shown above(and the lengths of the wires were just right for that setup), but my truck will not start. When I turn the key it trys to starts and the engine stumbles and sometimes sounds like it is about to start, but it doesn't. While turning the key the battery light and the check engine soon lights are on. Oil pressure looks good. But the battery volts are at about 12, which is lower than usual. Is the battery to low on power to start the truck? Or are the plug wires still in the wrong order(I wouldn't think that they would be)?

the firing order is off if you hooked it as is in the pic ... put the #1 cylinder on Top Dead Center and check that the rotor in the distributor is pointing toward that cylinder. battery and check engine lights are on when you turn the key on. the battery voltage is fine.
    :fsc:
    98 Chevy K1500 5.7 Vortec, 7" Lift, 4:11's

Lesson # 1 Never Never just pull all the wires off!! Always right them down on a paper or change one at a time!!

Lesson # 2 Never forget Lesson # 1
    Last edited by macojoe; 10-04-2005 at 06:27 PM.
    2002 Chevy Silverado Z71, 4.8 4X4 EXT Cab, 3.73 gears(GT4). With 2" lift, via rear leafs from a 2500, & cranked T Bars

1972 Chevy Beauville Diamond Jim's Avatar

As a general rule, and this only applies if you are very close to the timing is.

If the engine groans and acts like the battery is low, retard the timing slightly.

If the engine turns over as fast as a rece horse runs but only kicks in every now and then advance the timing slightly. (But if the timing is more than little off either way too advanced or retarded, it will turn over fast like this and advancing the timing won't help at all).

Or you could do it the right way line up the timing marks, and then line turn the distributor, until the rotor points to the number 1 wire and go from there. But if you do it the right way then your friends won't be able to laugh behind your back, and will have to find something else to keep them amused. So ask yourself, "Do I want to be a good friend, or do I want to screw them"?
    Diamond Jim
    98 Burb, 5.7L, 2500LS, 4X4; 80 GMC 383, , Long bed; 74 Dually Flatbed 350; 73 Short bed 350 4X4; 41 Chevy Master Deluxe, 327/375hp Rochester FI; 89 Fleetwood Bounder, 2 ton Chevy Chassis, 454/TH425

So how do I tell if #1 is at TDC without taking part of the engine apart?

Quote Originally Posted by 95Silverado
    So how do I tell if #1 is at TDC without taking part of the engine apart?
    Turn the engine over until the mark on the vibration damper lines up with the "0" mark on your timing tab.
    In this position you are either at top dead center or you are in the number 6 firing position.
    With the timing marks lined up take off your distributor cap and look at the position of the rotor. If it is pointing somewhat towards the front of the motor you should be at top dead center. In this position the rotor will be pointing at the #1 spark plug wire.

lowdown

1988 Chevy Silverado Stepside - 4/6 drop, Katzkin Leather
    Click on signature for truck pics and specs.
    http://www.koolcartoons.com

Quote Originally Posted by lowdown
    Turn the engine over until the mark on the vibration damper lines up with the "0" mark on your timing tab.
    In this position you are either at top dead center or you are in the number 6 firing position.
    With the timing marks lined up take off your distributor cap and look at the position of the rotor. If it is pointing somewhat towards the front of the motor you should be at top dead center. In this position the rotor will be pointing at the #1 spark plug wire.

lowdown
    I have it wired up like it is in that picture you posted. So how would cranking it to TDC change anything? If I am cranking it like it is now, wouldn't it eventually get to TDC and start?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast