If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

help with 4L60E transmission fluid change..

This is a discussion on help with 4L60E transmission fluid change.. within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey folks, 2003 chevy 5.3 w/ 4L60E tranny here, Jiffy Lube performed the suck out old fluid and at the ...

help with 4L60E transmission fluid change..

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey folks,

2003 chevy 5.3 w/ 4L60E tranny here, Jiffy Lube performed the suck out old fluid and at the same time pump in new fluid. I did'nt understand (not really mechanically inclined) the necessity of using Dexron III fluid instead of Jiffy Lube's generic crap until my trans started shifting funny in 2nd gear. Took it back to them and they just added more fluid, still have shift problem. I've decided to take matters in my own garage and change the fluid using the recommended Dexron III. I've located the plug on the torque converter to drain the fluid. Is there a site someone can recommend with direction and capacities for this tranny or can someone walk me through on this site? A buddy who should know told me drain it from there (torque converter, that dropping the pan is a pain in the butt), add 4 quarts, start the engine and let is warm up, then keep checking dip stick and add more fluid as necessary. Sound right? Just wanna make sure from someone who's had to do this.

thanks in advance.

Re: help with 4L60E transmission fluid change..

So how did jiffie lube manage to suck the filter out ;) I hope you got a refund from them for not doing a proper job, I hate those quick change places.
    When I pulled the out out of my s10 it took 6 quarts, I thought the owners manual listed the amount, but haven't checked my new truck yet.
    2004 Silverado ECSB 5.3L z71
    1982 Palomino Bronco 186
    1991 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Giant Cypress DX

It isn't just the engine that should warm up, it is the transmission too.

I wasn't able to get the plug out to drain mine so I dropped the pan and swapped the filter. I filled with 4 quarts to start. I then let the truck idle to pretty close to normal operating temp then spent a few minutes going from park to reverse to neutral to drive and back. I would hold it in gear for 15 to 20 seconds then move to the next one. I cycled through 3 times. I checked the dipstick and added another quart. I then took it for about a 2 mile drive and ended up putting just short of another quart in. I checked it again about 150 miles later and my fluid level is still where it should be.

Registered Neanderthal

I didn't think GM convertors had a drain plug. Never looked at the 4l60e, but my TH350's and 200R4 didn't.
    2010 Tahoe 1LT (wife)
    2010 Silverado LT, Ext Cab Z71- CCM 2.5" Leveling Kit, add-a-leaf

http://www.mtoddbayliss.com

Quote Originally Posted by mntahoe
    I didn't think GM convertors had a drain plug. Never looked at the 4l60e, but my TH350's and 200R4 didn't.
    They dont, mine doesnt and none ofthe truck s I have worked on do. Even if they did, less fluid would come out of the converter than would by dropping the pan. Doing both(if possible) would be the best as it would get the most fluid out.

pauly
    Last edited by Pauly; 10-08-2005 at 11:55 AM.
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Homesick NBer
    Edmonton, AB (but still an easterner at heart)

when getting the fluid flushed, it usually costs extra for them to drop the pan and change the filter. but always, always change the filter when changing the fluid.
    2003 Chev Silverado 4x4 4.10 gears and it has a 4.8L
    1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

4th year apprentice at Chev Dealer

hitech

here's a good tsb that describes a self flush/change

AMSOIL auto trans flush tsb

Nope, them torque converters do not have a drain, should only be three bolts attaching it to the flywheel, "pretty tight mothers too!". I just had to have my 4l60-e rebuilt due to busting the reactor shell gear.

I would like to hear if anyone in here has ever rebuilt their own 4l60e. I came close to giving it a shot when I got sticker shock from the local transmission shops, but finally found a honest mechanic who would do a bench build for $700.00 .

Regards

I was going to attempt to fix the transmission on my s10. Mine had list reverse and I found that a common problem was the internal teeth of the reverse input drum tend to break loose so it will just spin around. I found a reverse input drum on ebay from a guy that was retiring from the transmission business and was clearing out all his spare parts. He sold me the drum and new clutches for it for about $30. I pulled the transmission and then found the bolt holes to pull the pump off the front were not on the newer models and couldn't get the pump out. I put the transmission back in and borrowed a gear puller and was set to try again and then around the beginning of this year all the big discounts started coming on the newer trucks so I just traded mine in, told the dealer it was starting to slip in reverse :)
    I have a copy of the ATSG manual for the 4l60e and there are a few tricky parts where the real tool would be handy. There are some tiny teflon seals on the input shaft that are supposed to be im possible to replace without the tool, I was hoping to buy a new hardend shaft and ask the place I bought it from to press on new seals for me before they shipped it. Once you read through the repair manual a couple times they are really not that complicated, just a bunch of clutches that are all pretty much the same so once you understand on then they all make sense.
    I'd start with learning how to change the fliud and filter and then move on to things like shift kits and such. My truck has the hard 1-2 shift which I have found there is a TSB on, they replace a valve and update the program in the PCM so I may just take it in and let them do that under warranty and just give the dealer my filter and fluid since they will have to drop the pan to change the valve and will charge me for new fluid anyway.

Those flush places that charge extra for a filter change are truely a rip off. If their normal flush doesn't include a filter change then its completely worthless and probably does more damage than good, I bet if you get a flush without a filter change done you will knock loose trapped dirt and clog the filter even worse.
    1982 Palomino Bronco 186
    2009 Giant Cypress DX

yeah, I don't really like the way most places do a flush either. They claim that changing the filter is not necessary because their machine is supposed to do such a great job of flushing out all the old fluid, but I don't quite buy into that.

Just like arens said, dropping the pan will only get out around 5 quarts of the 11 or so in the transmission and converter.

Actually according to the owners manual of my truck there is only like 7 quarts total and dropping the pan to change the filter gets 5.
    I could see cleaning the filter is they did a backflush, but fhushing clean fluid through a filter won't clean a filter because if it would then the dirt the filter trapped would just go through already. Those flush places are definatly a ripoff.
    1982 Palomino Bronco 186
    2009 Giant Cypress DX

I know this is an old thread but I just came across it, I just finished rebuilding my 4L60E and it was really pretty simple. I got the ATSG service manual which walks you through the rebuild step by step with diagrams and that made it so I had no problems, putting the trans back in today to see how it works. I got the TCI Pro Super rebuild kit with their Trans-Scat valve body mods for $290 shipped from Jegs, then I went with a Monster Transmission heavy duty torque converter and kevlar band for another $220 shipped.