GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Common Silverado Problems?

This is a discussion on Common Silverado Problems? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Specifically to the new body styles. Lets say 2003+ Im thinking of buying one and ai am debating if i ...

Common Silverado Problems?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Specifically to the new body styles. Lets say 2003+
    Im thinking of buying one and ai am debating if i should buy a used or new one. Im in it for the long haul.
    v8 engine if it matters. 2wd

thanks

p.s. any other good chevy truck forums that i can read on?

Re: Common Silverado Problems?

make sure the engine is cold when you start it to see if it knocks

2001 tahoe lt 5.3 4wd k&n 2" keys 295/70/17 nittos black gatlins billet grill rollpan smooth vents rack delete debadged
    2003 silverado 5.3 2wd 3:73 g80 tune k&n magnaflow 2/4 drop 17" escys tint ss mirrors colormatched - just sold

I have a 2005 3/4 ton LS 6 liter with 6.0. No piston slap but guess this problem has been corrected. Minor stuff...door adjustment ...tailgate adjustment....door panel squeeks. IMHO the interior is cheesy compared to other makes. I would have bought a Ford(Yikes !) if the 5.4 wasn't such a dog. 6 liter runs great but reminds me of flushing a toilet on gas milage. Wind noise is kinda high at highway speeds as well. I would rate it a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

I've never not heard a chevy motor that doesn't knock to some degree at idle. Your right though, that 5.4 is a DOG. Chevy motors are much better. Interiors in chevys always have that cheap feeling, and squeak from every end. Other than that they seem to be pretty tough trucks.

I have a 05 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0. I got rid of an 03 1500 Sierra Z71 pkg. and really thought that the interior would have been upgraded in between those two years.

Also, I just passed 13,000 miles on the 05 and have just started to experience the rattling/loose feeling in the steering wheel. My 03 did the same exact thing! You would think that GM would of solved this problem. My 03 started doing it at 15,000 miles. I talked to a guy who works GM's and he said it is extremely coomon for this to happen. I guess the fix is to pull the column and grease the steering shaft.

Outside of that, it's a gas guzzler, but I knew that going into it, so......
    There's a saddle for every Ass!

"she likes it that way" Z71dook's Avatar

i wanted A titan, but due to the price differance, i settled for an 01 silverado Z71, i like it soo far, the only trouble i've had is t he gas gauge is acting funny, and the intermediate shaft on the steering was wore out,but they fixed that before i bought it, so it's all good. i would recommend a chevy again!!

I have a 2000 GMC Yukon (I know not a truck but same running gear) with the 5.3 2wd. Changed the pcv and may have a faulty air bank 2 check valve going bad, not sure yet. Hasn't thrown a code since the first one and looks like it's okay, no burnt hoses or cracks, no thrown code and the SES light went out on it's own, but scanned it and erased it after checking.

I love the GMC, seafoamed it, cleaned the intake and egr and she still runs great at 84,000+ miles. Just maintain the things and replace what you know will break on any of these cars (like the pcv, I will change like every other oil change, 3 bucks worth more than blowing oil). I would have liked a Toyota Tundra but they are out of my price range, plus I heard they are coming out with a turbo diesel in 2007 and may save for that. Plus I need a good truck to run parts for '64 Chevy with 350 and hopefully soon, 3.08 gears. First I have to get rid of that burned valve

Have fun, Chevy is a good riding truck in the 1/2 ton with V-8, maintain it well and listen to these guys. Chevytalk.org is also a great site I go to both as I believe that we all have one thing in common, we love our Chevys and we want them to drive a long time and we want to know how to fix them and help a brother or sister out.

L8R

Aaron
    Nappers
    Last edited by Nappers; 10-11-2005 at 10:54 PM.
    2000 GMC Yukon 4X2
    5.3 Vortec V-8
    Stock-so far
    A CNN reporter asked a young Marine Sniper, "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?" He shrugged and replied "Recoil". - Thank you Soldiers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nappers
    I have a 2000 GMC Yukon (I know not a truck but same running gear) with the 5.3 2wd. Changed the pcv and may have a faulty air bank 2 check valve going bad, not sure yet. Hasn't thrown a code since the first one and looks like it's okay, no burnt hoses or cracks, no thrown code and the SES light went out on it's own, but scanned it and erased it after checking.

I love the GMC, seafoamed it, cleaned the intake and egr and she still runs great at 84,000+ miles. Just maintain the things and replace what you know will break on any of these cars (like the pcv, I will change like every other oil change, 3 bucks worth more than blowing oil). I would have liked a Toyota Tundra but they are out of my price range, plus I heard they are coming out with a turbo diesel in 2007 and may save for that. Plus I need a good truck to run parts for '64 Chevy with 350 and hopefully soon, 3.08 gears. First I have to get rid of that burned valve

Have fun, Chevy is a good riding truck in the 1/2 ton with V-8, maintain it well and listen to these guys. Chevytalk.org is also a great site I go to both as I believe that we all have one thing in common, we love our Chevys and we want them to drive a long time and we want to know how to fix them and help a brother or sister out.

L8R

Aaron
    Nappers

DuDE, this has been bothering me for several days. WHy would you have preferred having a Toya Tundra?
    I have considered purchasing this truck but i just feel like they are not a "real" truck. I may buy a used truck weather it be a Toyota or Chevy.

I am pretty unsure that I am planning to buy 2003 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab Z71 (or 4x4) in few month before I transfer University of Arkansas (Fayetteville or Batesville) this Summer/Fall and I'm looking forward to have another Silverado in the family soon.
    The future is no place to place your better days...
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado ECSB Z71/4WD-1LT

Quote Originally Posted by Riot Racing
    DuDE, this has been bothering me for several days. WHy would you have preferred having a Toya Tundra?
    I have considered purchasing this truck but i just feel like they are not a "real" truck. I may buy a used truck weather it be a Toyota or Chevy.
    Well they are only rated at 1/2 ton but if you watch Consumer Reports and the Government crash tests with the imports, they are rated way better than the domestic brands. Dodge has weak frames (until the 06 came out) the Fords have DOG motors and bad brakes, I am a Chevy fan but the Tundra is just a better truck (for the 1/2 tons) and better resale value and you will walk away in an offset crash, while the Chevys, Dodges and Fords they have to get the jaws of life to extract you from the truck. The new GMT line should prove the new line are better, if not GM is skating on thin ice. The new Dodge has a new improved frame, but will that help them with those with bad taste in their mouth? Also, the Tacomas are way better than the S-10 or it's replacement (an inline 5? when the import V-6's blows them away). Anyway, IMHO the imports are a better value and the '07 Tundras are going to have a Turbo Diesel. Not that I need one. I see a lot of Chevys on the road and I do love my Yukon, it gets crappy gas mileage but it sure looks good and I payed way less for it than a new Tundra. I may save my pennies and dimes for when the new Chevy/GMC line comes out with their trucks. I like the GMC's better, I really don't like those cat-eye headlights.

L8R

Aaron

L8R

Aaron
    2000 GMC Yukon 4X2
    5.3 Vortec V-8
    Stock-so far
    A CNN reporter asked a young Marine Sniper, "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?" He shrugged and replied "Recoil". - Thank you Soldiers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nappers
    Well they are only rated at 1/2 ton but if you watch Consumer Reports and the Government crash tests with the imports, they are rated way better than the domestic brands. Dodge has weak frames (until the 06 came out) the Fords have DOG motors and bad brakes, I am a Chevy fan but the Tundra is just a better truck (for the 1/2 tons) and better resale value and you will walk away in an offset crash, while the Chevys, Dodges and Fords they have to get the jaws of life to extract you from the truck. The new GMT line should prove the new line are better, if not GM is skating on thin ice. The new Dodge has a new improved frame, but will that help them with those with bad taste in their mouth? Also, the Tacomas are way better than the S-10 or it's replacement (an inline 5? when the import V-6's blows them away). Anyway, IMHO the imports are a better value and the '07 Tundras are going to have a Turbo Diesel. Not that I need one. I see a lot of Chevys on the road and I do love my Yukon, it gets crappy gas mileage but it sure looks good and I payed way less for it than a new Tundra. I may save my pennies and dimes for when the new Chevy/GMC line comes out with their trucks. I like the GMC's better, I really don't like those cat-eye headlights.

L8R

Aaron

L8R

Aaron
    Everyone tells me to buy a Tundra. They are okay looking trucks but what most people say." Toyota will be the most reliable" and "toyota will still feel brand new 50k miles from new".
    I just want a reliable, roomy, truck. I like the turbo diesels but they are more truck then i really need.

Got 22,000 miles on my '04, 5.3L engine. Here is my list so far:

Intermediate steering shaft (warrenty)
    Tailgate cables (recall)
    Right side mirror defogger (warrenty)
    Console lid hinge broke (warrenty)

Other things I am watching:
    The parking brakes with the rear disk tend to suck.
    The interior is real plasticky
    '04 Silverado 1/2 ton 2WD ext. cab dk. grey. 5.3 liter, locking diff. XLerator exhaust - offbrand but throaty. Borgeson intermediate shaft, Bilstein HD shocks.

KJ6LFD

One of my beefs is the extra cab door. Sometimes it wont shut properly and I need to slam the crap out of it to get it to seat properly. I hate this, and it happens on both doors of the xcab. Must be a latch design flaw.
    **My Little Roots Rocka**

Quote Originally Posted by DSZ71
    One of my beefs is the extra cab door. Sometimes it wont shut properly and I need to slam the crap out of it to get it to seat properly. I hate this, and it happens on both doors of the xcab. Must be a latch design flaw.
    Have you adjusted the latches?