GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Silverado with 4.3 engine wet weather starting problems

This is a discussion on Silverado with 4.3 engine wet weather starting problems within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado truck with a 4.3 vortec engine.Lately I can not get the engine started after ...

Silverado with 4.3 engine wet weather starting problems

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado truck with a 4.3 vortec engine.Lately I can not get the engine started after rainy days. If I leave it untill the weather is dry, the truck starts like a champ.Obviously something is getting wet.Where do I start troubleshooting?

Re: Silverado with 4.3 engine wet weather starting problems

welcome to my world.

I had exact same problem after the last 10 days of wet weather, went out one morning and it wouldnt start.

as far as i can tell some thing gets moisture in it grounding the starting system, I tossed in a new coil ($50 ) and eventualy got it running, and since driving it around a bit to dry everything it hasnt given me anymore trouble.

if you have the extra cash id recommend picking up new sparkplug wires/cap/rotor/sparkplugs so everything it new at the same time

check if the coil is lose or now or any cracks (its left side of the air inake tube on side of engine, also have someone crank it over at night and look at the spark plug wires so see if one is damaged and grounding out
    Last edited by 99silveradoguy; 10-16-2005 at 05:06 PM.

- 99 Silverado - retired to spare vehicle
    Black headlights/turnsignals/taillights- 6K HID Low beams, back on stock rims. current project/DD 99 jeep TJ

Pull the dist cap and see if there is green corrosion on the rotor, this is a problem and I think there is a recall on it.

I had the same problem. A new rotor and cap fixed it. The dealer put a sleeve over the A/C lines that run over the distributor to keep condensation from dripping on it as well.

Give the Dist a shot of WD40 or silicon spray and it should help out.
    2002 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4
    Duramax / Allison

i had the recall performed on my truck and im surprised the truck ran at all with all the corrosion on the terminals

Homesick NBer
    Edmonton, AB (but still an easterner at heart)

Quote Originally Posted by 021500HD
    Pull the dist cap and see if there is green corrosion on the rotor, this is a problem and I think there is a recall on it.
    i replaced my cap and rotor a couple months ago, cause it still had the original ones on it, but my truck started acting bad a few weeks ago, so i took the cap off to check it out and it was totaly green inside, put a new cap on but it made the truck run worse, so i put the green cap back on. i don't have AC lines over teh dist or anything, so what would cause this corrosion that quickly. what years does that recall cover.
    2003 Chev Silverado 4x4 4.10 gears and it has a 4.8L
    1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

4th year apprentice at Chev Dealer