GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Clutch Fan Nut Size

This is a discussion on Clutch Fan Nut Size within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I was wondering what size the clutch fan nut is, im putting on some E-fans and need to take off ...

Clutch Fan Nut Size

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I was wondering what size the clutch fan nut is, im putting on some E-fans and need to take off the clutch fan. From what ive measured its between any english or metric size. Also is it a left handed thread? Also ive heard different things about how to store the fan, any ideas?
    1996 Tahoe LT 265/75/17 BFG A/T's on Z-71 Avalanche wheels, custom trans temp and vacuum gage pod, procomp 1.5 inch lift blocks, flipped ubolts, custom rock sliders and front skid plate

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Re: Clutch Fan Nut Size

i used a large locking adjustable. but you could also use a 10" pair of vise grips. been so long since i did mine, i can't remember if it was right or left handed threads. as for a storing, just put it in a place where the blades won't get damaged.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

I can't help with the size, I used a huge cresent wrench and tapped it with a hammer. Mine was regular thread(counter clockwise to loosen). Good luck

Normal threads.
    2014 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...g-1st-3rd.html

As for storing, ive heard that there is a proper direction to store them (up like normal or on the front or.....) so the fluid clutch is not ruined. Any ideas?
    1996 Tahoe LT 265/75/17 BFG A/T's on Z-71 Avalanche wheels, custom trans temp and vacuum gage pod, procomp 1.5 inch lift blocks, flipped ubolts, custom rock sliders and front skid plate

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

i always figured if i was going to put the fan/clutch back on for what ever reason, i would just buy a new clutch if it was bad.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

I can't imagine storing them makes a differance....after all they get shipped all kinds of ways and stored at parts stores god only knows how.
    2014 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...g-1st-3rd.html

Old thread, I know....

Maybe this has been answered before, but in case it has not, I just did my intake gasket and water pump. The size of the clutch fan nut is 36mm. I rented a tool at autozone for removing fan clutch on ford's 4.9L and it fits perfectly for our clutches. This was done on a 96 4.3L Vortec motor.

its left hand threads and it says on it how to store but it shouldnt be that big of a problem..hove fun breakin it loose mine is tight

I think my fan clutch is out, so i'm gonna pick up a new one today. Last time I had it off it was four small nuts on the water pump. and then I had to get the studs out, which was easy. I got some bolts to replace them when I put it back on, and they were metric. I remember the thread size was 8.125mm and it was about 30mm long.

91 RCSB C1500 4.3 4L60 Cash for Clunkered 8/3/09
    09 Ford Mustang Bullitt #5998 Brenspeed Tune, LCAs. 13.35 @104.3
    94 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra ModdedSOLD 9/4/08

I think its 32mm...not 100% sure but its close...

CARDOMAIN
    '98 Silverado 1500 Z71 | 2" Suspension | 285 Cooper ST's | American Racing Atlas' | 2" Cowl | CAI | Wait4Me Tune | Flex-a-Lite Dual E-Fans | Lock-Right | Vette Servo | True Duals | Blue LED's
    '03 Silverado 1500 Z71