GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

88' Chevy 1500 not getting fuel

This is a discussion on 88' Chevy 1500 not getting fuel within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; The truck never hesitated, it just died. I checked power to the pump and was ok. I've had the truck ...

88' Chevy 1500 not getting fuel

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    The truck never hesitated, it just died. I checked power to the pump and was ok. I've had the truck for several years and it has high miles so I just assumed it was either the pump or filter. I replaced the filter first since it was the easier less expensive rout and didn't solve my problem. So, I then replaced the pump and still no resolve. It will crank and has good spark.

Any ideas?

Re: 88' Chevy 1500 not getting fuel

Fuel pump relay or ECM...
    '12 FLTRXSE (my daily ride)
    '11 FLHRC (momma's)
    '07 DBM Vortec MAX CCSSB
    '01 Lexus GS430 (momma's)
    '99 'Hoe project
    '92 1LE B4C Camaro (8K original)
    '46 Stylemaster Coupe

I've had this problem myself, It turns out that it could be your fuel pump relay or as what is was on my 88 it could be in your Distributor pickup. Check if you have power to your injectors if you don't then go with the distributor solution.

K1500

I just went through the same thing and thought it was my fuel pump. First see if you have spark to the plugs. If not work your way back to the distributor and coil. My problem was my electronic module on my brand new distributor went bad after only a month. I keep an extra one off of my old distributor and my spark tester in my glove box now just in case.

Are you getting gas to the throttle body? Can you here the fuel pump running? How do you know you are getting good spark? I had a similar situation with my truck. I was running down the road and it just died. Thought it was the fuel pump cause I couldn`t hear it running so I replaced it. It didn`t help. Of course I changed the fuel filter. I replaced the relay and it did no good. I took out the ignition module and took it to autozone to have it tested and it failed twice out of 20 times. The guy said it was OK so I put it back in along with the install of a new coil. Truck fired right up so I thought the problem was a bad coil. I went to go to work the next day and it wouldn`t start and I was bummed. Called a wrecker and had it towed to a dealership and they found that the ignition module was bad. I found out two things : one, if your ign. module goes bad the computer won`t let your fuel pump work and two, never trust autozone:)

new and improved!

Amen... they should atleast try and get 3 people in that store with mechanical know how... at mine they just have a buncha girls up there, yacking it up on a damn cell phone...

Thanks for the help gentlemen. All of your input gives me some good ideas for things to check. I'll let you know the outcome.