If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Grinding noise. HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Grinding noise. HELP!!! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Whenever my foot is off the gas and im moving, theres a metal grinding/whirring noise comming from what seems to ...

Grinding noise. HELP!!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Whenever my foot is off the gas and im moving, theres a metal grinding/whirring noise comming from what seems to be the drivetrain. The faster I go the louder it gets. When I put my foot on the gas whatever is causing the noise kind of winds up for a second and then the noise goes away.

Also if i jack the rear tires off the ground, put it drive, and give it a little gas, as soon as I let off the gas it starts making this horrible sound like there are loose bolts just being churned around by my tranny or t-case. Definatly sounds like something is broken.

Ive replaced my transfer case and tranny and the noise hasnt gone away.

Its been to multiple shops and noone has been able to correctly track it down. (Ive been told it was my passenger side wheel bearing, transfer case, and tranny. All have been replaced and the noise hasnt gone away)

Any idea what it could be.

Re: Grinding noise. HELP!!!

have you simply checked the brakes?
    Selling a front Chevy Dana 60, 5.38s welded, $1000 never run, PM for more
    1992 K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel/4L80e/4.10s (sas with Dana 60 just sitting around waiting for a rainy day)
    '84 K10, 6" Tuff Country, now 1 ton frame swap and Cummins swap have begun
    Veteran of Afghanistan (Army SGT)

well, i considered that, because sometimes when im backing up, when i stop to put it in drive, and the truck rocks back, there is a clunk that i THINK is comming from the brakes. I know my drivers side pads are really loose in the caliper

but im pretty sure its in the driveline because the noise is completely related to the gas pedal. All i have to do is apply just enough gas to move the throttle the slightest bit and the noise goes away. If it were the brakes, id assume the throttle wouldnt affect it

Quote Originally Posted by Suareezay
    well, i considered that, because sometimes when im backing up, when i stop to put it in drive, and the truck rocks back, there is a clunk that i THINK is comming from the brakes. I know my drivers side pads are really loose in the caliper

but im pretty sure its in the driveline because the noise is completely related to the gas pedal. All i have to do is apply just enough gas to move the throttle the slightest bit and the noise goes away. If it were the brakes, id assume the throttle wouldnt affect it

have you checked the u-joint
    1992 K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel/4L80e/4.10s (sas with Dana 60 just sitting around waiting for a rainy day)

oh yea forgot to mention that i had the u joints and rearend checked out. Supposedly theyre fine.

oh yea forgot to mention that i had the u joints and rearend checked out. Supposedly theyre fine.

jack up the rear end of the tahoe, put trans in Neutral, with force, push and pull the tire forward and backward. if you hear a bell like noise, u joint

forward and backward as in the front end being forward and the rearend backward, or like if im facing the tire push and pull it?

ill give a try tomorrow

forward and backward as in the front end being forward and the rearend backward, or like if im facing the tire push and pull it?

ill give a try tomorrow

sit behind the rear tire, facing the tread (for example) then 'roll' it forward and roll it back in a jerking motion.

oh ok, gotcha. i was imagining shaking it around like you would on the front end if your looking for loose suspension/steering parts.

are you sure its not the motor? rod bearing and wrist pins will make noise, though usually a tapping/clicking noise when not under load.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ogre25
    are you sure its not the motor? rod bearing and wrist pins will make noise, though usually a tapping/clicking noise when not under load.
    yea, ive definatly considered it, but i wouldnt really know how to check it

Whenever my foot is off the gas and im moving, theres a metal grinding/whirring noise comming from what seems to be the drivetrain. The faster I go the louder it gets. When I put my foot on the gas whatever is causing the noise kind of winds up for a second and then the noise goes away.

Also if i jack the rear tires off the ground, put it drive, and give it a little gas, as soon as I let off the gas it starts making this horrible sound like there are loose bolts just being churned around by my tranny or t-case. Definatly sounds like something is broken.
    It sounds like your rear end is blown. Pull the cover off (don't take anyone else's word for it) and look for either blown carrier bearings or a broken diff carrier. Mine sounded like this when it broke the carrier. Noise that changes with vehicle speed is almost ALWAYS rear end noise.

Also note that the truck generated a similar sound when it ate a front wheel bearing. The driver's side bearing didn't look bad (not galled or blown apart), but when we replaced it, the noise went away.

-blaine

frankenbiker...im definatly gonna have the rear end checked out by a shop other than 4wp (the place that looked at it already)....

i had the passenger side wheel bearing replaced already and it did nothing. I guess the drivers side could be bad

Disconnect your driveshafts (front and rear) at the output yoke of your transfer case, throw your trans into first, and see if the noise remains. If it does, it's power/drivetrain. It it doesn't, it's somewhere in your rear end. Almost sounds like a chewed up bearing or pinion bushing. Also when your driveshaft is out, shake the yoke going into your rear end. If there's a lot of play, it will be pinion related.
    we're gonna need a bigger turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickup Man
    Disconnect your driveshafts (front and rear) at the output yoke of your transfer case, throw your trans into first, and see if the noise remains. If it does, it's power/drivetrain. It it doesn't, it's somewhere in your rear end. Almost sounds like a chewed up bearing or pinion bushing. Also when your driveshaft is out, shake the yoke going into your rear end. If there's a lot of play, it will be pinion related.
    thats a good idea. thanks.

Ever figure out what it was? I'm getting some weird noises myself and will be checking things tommorrow.

Chris.
    99 Chevy Suburban K1500 LT, 6" Superlift, 35x12.5 Dunlop's.

never did figure it out.

i had the tranny rebuilt (again), got a new transfer case (again), and im in the process of (one day) swapping in a 14 bolt. I dont drive the Tahoe anymore so im in no rush to figure it out either.

My guess would just be that I have too much lift in the back. When i do the new rearend im going to take out the 1.5" blocks in the back and see if that solves it.

Everytime I think about lifting my tahoe i just have to open up one of your threads and that feeling is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy
    Everytime I think about lifting my tahoe i just have to open up one of your threads and that feeling is gone.