GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Ground Wire by fuel tank ?

This is a discussion on Ground Wire by fuel tank ? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; On my 1995 K1500 pickup there is (or was) a ground wire that was near the fuel neck on the ...

Ground Wire by fuel tank ?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    On my 1995 K1500 pickup there is (or was) a ground wire that was near the fuel neck on the body underneath the bed side. Well, when I put my body lift on, I had to extend the fuel filler hose. As I was doing this, this wire broke off of wherever it was connected to due to corrosion, and rust. I am now running without the ground, and the truck runs like normal. What does this wire do? Is it important that I reconnect it? Thanks guys

21st Century digital boy JAYB1RD's Avatar

Re: Ground Wire by fuel tank ?

Mine has been dangling for a while too, I'd like to know where to connect it to...
    1991 K1500 Sport
    33" MTZs, gloss black NNBS spare 17s, cranked TBs, 2" block, bilsteins, SF14 rear, LEDs everywhere, lt1 swap, headers, single 3" flowmaster, Solomon tune, trans-go shift kit, s10 stall, vette servo, lots more

That wire grounds the threaded part of the fuel neck to the frame to prevent static discharge when fueling.

It needs to be there.

1995 Suburban 1500 2wd

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Yeah, you SHOULD hook it back up. However, I ran w/ one broke for a while (not knowing).
    2014 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...g-1st-3rd.html

Quote Originally Posted by MrChester
    Mine has been dangling for a while too, I'd like to know where to connect it to...
    Most I've seen on the Chevy & GMC trucks connect to the metal body support coming off the frame. If it rusted off you should see the bold and broken wire where it connects. Otherwise, just run a new grounding strap and connect it to anything metal and solid (like the frame or body mount). -TK
    TLKurtz
    2014 Chevy Silverado Z71
    2005 GMC 2500HD ECSB - SOLD: 03/13/2008