If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

How to tell what size ring gear you have???

This is a discussion on How to tell what size ring gear you have??? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Is there a way, besides pulling the pumpkin cover off, to tell what size ring gear you have. My rear ...

How to tell what size ring gear you have???

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Is there a way, besides pulling the pumpkin cover off, to tell what size ring gear you have.

My rear dif sill is leaking and when i checked into getting a new they said my truck came with 2 different rear ends, 10 bolt or 12 bolt.

Truck is a 97 (chevy) Z71

Re: How to tell what size ring gear you have???

pull the rear wheels off the ground, make a mark on the bottom of the u joint and the bottom of the tire. spin the wheel till the mark on the tire goes around once and cout how many times you d-shaft rotates.

either that or just look in the glove box if you know they are stock.

cout the bolts on the diff cover and thats 10/12 bolt
    Last edited by popknot98; 12-18-2005 at 07:33 PM.
    2004 Chevy Sliverado 2500HD, 285/75/16 sport king A/T, Predator, dual orig. 40's outh the corners,K&N drop-in, tint matched front and more to come.

!FOR SALE!
    Taking offers

are you talking axle ratio or the actual ring gear size?if your truck is a 1500 you either have the 10 bolt 8.5 ring gear 30 spline 6-lug(most likely)or a 14 bolt 9.5"ring gear 33 spline 6 lug axle.you could not get a 12 bolt axle on that year truck.

Yeah, I am talking about the diameter of the ring gear. The diff front seal is leaking and Advanced Auto told me that there are 2 different seals, one being for a 10 bolt and the other a 12 bolt.

I was told that you can't count the # of bolts on the diff cover, because there might be a 12 bolt ring inside the 10 bolt case. I do not know if this is even possible.

I really love my truck, but am a Ford guy, so I am not real Clear on GM rearends. I know the 8.8 and 9" very well.

Was just trying to keep from having to pull the Diff cover off and counting ring gear bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by 9296GTs
    Yeah, I am talking about the diameter of the ring gear. The diff front seal is leaking and Advanced Auto told me that there are 2 different seals, one being for a 10 bolt and the other a 12 bolt.

I was told that you can't count the # of bolts on the diff cover, because there might be a 12 bolt ring inside the 10 bolt case. I do not know if this is even possible.

I really love my truck, but am a Ford guy, so I am not real Clear on GM rearends. I know the 8.8 and 9" very well.

Was just trying to keep from having to pull the Diff cover off and counting ring gear bolts.
    the 12 bolt hasn't been used since 1982. you've either got a 8.5" 10 bolt or a 9.5" 14 bolt... there's no way you're going to get the wrong ring gear in there.. just plain won't work.
    02 K1500 Z71 Avalanche bone stock
    88 K2500 350 TBI, 10" Edelbrock OE, Ultimate TBI, Summit 1102 cam, MSD 8.5mm wires, built 700-r4, BFG AT/ko's, 3.73's, Flowtech Afterburner Headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, Flowmaster Super 40.

To be ordered: Holley 300-66 intake

To answer the question you need answered--look at the differential cover of the rearend. Count the number of bolts holding that cover on--if there's 10, you have a 10 bolt, if there's 14, it's a 14 bolt. Also--if you have 8 lug wheels, you are 14 bolt!!

Hey thanks, that's what i needed to know.